The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

Canucks notebook: Podkolzin praised for putting in work, Hamonic reports

Vasily Podkolzin has already teased of top-six-mix potential.

The Vancouver Canucks ‘ winger demonstrated pre-season chemistry with J.T. Miller and scored his first NHL career goal in impressive fashion Oct. 15 in Philadelphia. He took a backhand feed at speed from Tyler Myers and then came off the sideboards to rip a wrist shot past Carter Hart’s glove.

“You notice when he has the puck on his stick,” Canucks winger Conor Garland said Tuesday. “He seems to really make some plays and that shot is pretty lethal. That one against Philly, it’s short side and he pulls it out from his body and pulls it back in.

“That’s really hard to do and it’s something he has probably worked on his whole life. That’s really impressive. And he’s young. He’s going to be a real good player and is just finding his footing and understanding the league.”

Podkolzin, 20, sat out the next two games and could have been scratched again Tuesday in the club’s home-opener at Rogers Arena. But the trickle-down effect of an injury to Justin Dowling, the recall of Justin Bailey and the possibility that Jason Dickinson may not play played into lineup juggling.  

The Russian rookie was aligned in the game-day skate with Miller and Brock Boeser. Flipping the motivation switch from practice to playing shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe it’s from playing against men in the KHL. Maybe it’s just the way he’s wired.

“I think he gets it already,” said Canucks captain Bo Horvat. “He’s one of the hardest-working guys in practice and doesn’t take a shift off. Every drill he’s going as hard as he can and that’s such an important attribute to have when you’re not in the lineup and still proving himself in practice and keeping up with game speed.”

It wasn’t that Podkolzin was playing badly. In a rite-of-passage for a new player in a new system, country and language, understanding both ends of the ice to gain the coach’s trust is paramount. His 9:06 of average ice time in an occasional fourth-line role, or being bumped-up by circumstance, is part of the learning curve.

Normally, veteran right-winger Alex Chiasson has a leg-up on that line because he’s also the net-front presence on the first power-play unit. But Podkolzin keeps pushing the roster conversation in the right direction.

“He’s an extremely hard worker and a pretty dialed-in young man,” said Canucks coach Travis Green.

On Monday, Podkolzin was an extra in line rushes and Green had to elaborate the rationale to satisfy the faithful, who are anxious to see the 10th-overall selection in the 2019 NHL Draft thrive.

“We’re here to win games — first and foremost,” stressed Green. “But we’ve also had a lot of success developing young players up here. It’s a fine line between what’s best for the player and what’s best for the team. He’s done a lot of good things and some things that he still needs to work on.

“I’m not worried about it at all. Pods is going to be really good. We’re excited about him and so are the fans. Just because a player doesn’t play now and then, that’s fine too. We have to make hard decisions every night.”

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Zator, of TheHockeyWriters, sounds off ....

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-podkolzin-position-to-succeed/

That's why I don't have much good to say about so-called "hockey writers" not taking into account a situational problem that was happening but nothing new, it's typical as usual... nothing new..  blah 

At the end of the day Podz easing Podz into the team slowly wasn't/isn't a bad idea until he got his feet wet enough to know what to expect, however with the new injuries to us, he will keep getting more and more ice time the more TG trusts him. No matter what Podz is Podz and he wants it bad enough so no one needs to freak out it raise a huff, and just be thankful he's here and a future potential line of  Podz Bo and Klim to be lethal and one of the top 2nd lines in the league next season. Looking forward to it.

• Cheers 2

As much as I want Podz to get more TOI I can understand the gradual development. The KHL is poor training for NHL play. The physical play doesn’t intimidate Podz which should help his gaining more ice time more quickly. I am looking forward to his game by the end of December. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

At some point would like to see Podkolzin given a shot on the PK. One of his best two way attributes is his stick awareness. He gets sticks in passing lanes, can anticipate passing plays well to disrupt them, and overall has a high motor. The Canucks PK unit has the high forward sweep to take away the point shot and half boards from making cross seam passes and plays.

Podkolzin's strength in playing with his stick, hustle, positioning, and high hockey IQ would make him a very good PK player.

I definitely think we'll see him there eventually. Maybe not this season especially once Motte and hopefully Sutter return but I hope he's getting some chances there by next year. I agree that his skillset lends itself really well to PKing but I can understand Green being hesitant and going with the veterans he has for now.

23 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

At some point would like to see Podkolzin given a shot on the PK. One of his best two way attributes is his stick awareness. He gets sticks in passing lanes, can anticipate passing plays well to disrupt them, and overall has a high motor. The Canucks PK unit has the high forward sweep to take away the point shot and half boards from making cross seam passes and plays.

Podkolzin's strength in playing with his stick, hustle, positioning, and high hockey IQ would make him a very good PK player.

7 hours ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

I definitely think we'll see him there eventually. Maybe not this season especially once Motte and hopefully Sutter return but I hope he's getting some chances there by next year. I agree that his skillset lends itself really well to PKing but I can understand Green being hesitant and going with the veterans he has for now.

I don't think he can be trusted to stand perfectly still while waiving his stick yet, though, with more coaching from Green that will surely come, the key is patience.

• Haha 3

I imagine he will be a PK regular soon enough. He really does have a playing style well suited for the role.

I too am anxious to see what he can do with more ice time. I understand he is being eased into the NHL, but while I've seen some mistakes, I feel they are at an acceptable level to start loosening the leash a bit.

I hope someone tell Podkolzin to really enjoy every moment of his rookie season. When you are a rookie, you may be too dumb to be scared. You just play. You just shoot at the net not realizing how awesome of a reputation the opposing goalie has. Boeser and Pettersson both had rookies' luck in this regard. I think this is something that Travis Green has underappreciated about Podkolzin even though he is right to not put too much on the Russian rookie. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Vintage 1

He's coming on way quicker than we had a right to expect.  Remember the concerns about his skating?  Not having a fellow Russian on the team? 

The duo with Garland is lethal.  If the lotto line doesn't get it together soon, I'd like to see Petterson in between those two.  Would get him playing quicker and more spontaneously.

30 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

He's coming on way quicker than we had a right to expect.  Remember the concerns about his skating?  Not having a fellow Russian on the team? 

The duo with Garland is lethal.  If the lotto line doesn't get it together soon, I'd like to see Petterson in between those two.  Would get him playing quicker and more spontaneously.

Didn't Garland go from being on the first line to being on the third line?