The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

Probably will be the first time we win the draft lottery and Tampa picks 1st overall.  They fleeced JB; good thing JB won’t be around when Tampa makes the selection

Do you predict you'll be hit by a car today too? Because the worst case scenario will clearly happen right? How about we wait to see how we do in 2020 before projecting a lottery pick in 2021. 

Assuming we hadn't traded the first, and didn't have Miller, when did you expect we'd be out of lottery contention? Because based on your reaction, you clearly didn't think 2021. So when then? 2022, 2023? 

_______Pete Boeser

Baer Bo Pearson 

Virtanen Miller Leivo

Roussel Beagle _______

Goldobin, Gaudette, Sutter 

That's a fast and feisty top 12

I'm fine with this trade Miller is a hell of a 3C JB isnt done I expect he will go hard after Panerin now and with Podkolzin comming Miller solidifies our lineup down the middle

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

JB must do something about the defense. 

The people defending this trade have way too much confidence in our defense.

Canucks were pursuing Subban and still pursing Barrie.

Also interested in signing Myers or Gardiner.

Since we gave our 1st, I’m just wondering why we didn’t target a better player tbh. Miller is a bit inconsistent so you don’t know if you’re getting the 55pt version or him or the 40 something.

He’s also coming to a lot less talented team in us but will get more minutes I guess. And then there’s the transition he’ll have to make to the western conference. 

Idk, I’m honestly just tired of having an incompetent trade evaluator as our GM. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You know if they were shopping him, more than one team would want a 50 point player on a decent cap hit too... 

Yeah but you best believe they aren't sending a top 20 first in their trade the other way. 

Edited by MikeyD

17 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

He got more points playing on the rangers

He was buried on the deep TB lineup and produced less.  Miller was not a product of the TB system..

I am well aware of that. My issue is whether or not we just got a Kris Versteeg, Chris Higgins, Mason Raymond, or Alex Burrows. I mean, I wanna see the optics of it. Right now, he looks like a blender guy. Not a 1st or second line fixture. We already have those guys. I mean, is there much difference between what he can do and what Tanner Pearson can already do? If we just gave up a 1st, I want a fixture guy. Not a blender guy. I think that's a fair ask, IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Hey man, if you don’t have anything good or constructive to say, there are 30 other teams that are available to you.

relax mate. You’re that trench-coat smoking guy in the corner at the party.

Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean I’m not entitled to my opinion.  JB got fleeced.

God, this board is hilarious!

[Before terms of the deal were announced]

- Benning is amazing!  What a genius he is!

- What a great trade, we didn't even have to give up our 2nd round pick for him!

[After it's announced that the trade is our 3rd, Mazanec and our 1st next year or the year after]

- Ewww!  Yuck!

- What a terrible trade!  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Now that the initial shock and rage has worn off I've had some time to digest and think about the trade some more and still hate it. 

Then you are stuck in the mindframe that  the Canucks will suck forever.  Sure, it’s a risk but if the 1st isn’t a late 1st then the team has bigger worries.

Kevin Hayes, a player who has never broken 50pts, was a pending UFA who was traded for a 1st then signed for $7m.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

This logic assumes JT Miller is a top six forward.  13 goals last year and 47 points is third line maybe borderline 2nd line numbers.  Virtanen had 15 goals last year is seen as a failure.  He is younger cheaper and did not play in the top six.  I don’t get why we undervalue our players and overvalue other teams players.

5 minutes ago, boziffous said:

JT Miller had 47 pts last year playing just under 15 minutes per game. That placed Miller in the top 100(tied for 78th) in the NHL last year in pts per minute. This ranked him ahead of such players such as Kevin Hayes, Brock Boeser, Mathew Barzal, Filip Forsberg, Kyle Connor, Jeff Skinner, Ryan Johansen, and Evander Kane to name a few. I think it's likely that Miller will see 17 or 18 minutes a night in Vancouver and I think a 55 to 60 point season this next year is quite possible.

See post above.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1