The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

1 minute ago, Pears said:

And I’ll ask this. Would you rather get help now? Or bank on someone who could help the team in 6-7 years? I think the answer should be pretty obvious. 

Not against a 1st rounder but not for mediocracy 

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

exactly how is this like the sens situation

except that a 1st round pick was involved?

the trade was not made in desperate hope of boosting the team during the season (ala sens)

team did not lose their best dman after the trade (ala sens)

objectively, the team already has a solid young core and adding to it (sens were trying to create one)

nucks will not crater after this deal, sens clearly did

details count man

please provide some

instead of whining

Because they mis-understood where the team is at and gambled on trading a 1st round pick for immediate help.

This trade was made in desperate hopes of boosting our team actually.

Miller is a fine player, not worth a mid or higher first round pick though. Would've rather added Barrie for this price. 

• Haha 3

Just now, MikeyD said:

Yeah but you best believe they aren't sending a top 20 first in their trade the other way. 

Lol, keep telling yourself that. 

If we traded Horvat for anything less than a 1st you would lose your mind. 

TJ Miller is able to drive to the net, is a workhorse and consistently put up 50 points and has a good cap hit. This is a good deal. The fact a moron like Sekeres hates this deal proves it is a good one. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

God, this board is hilarious!

[Before terms of the deal were announced]

- Benning is amazing!  What a genius he is!

- What a great trade, we didn't even have to give up our 2nd round pick for him!

[After it's announced that the trade is our 3rd, Mazanec and our 1st next year or the year after]

- Ewww!  Yuck!

- What a terrible trade!  

Nah, JB is hilarious.

“Hey, I want your 2nd line player and even though we’ve been the worst team in hockey record wise for the past 4 years and even though I know your team is in cap trouble, I’ll offer up our potential lottery pick for him anyways”.

1 minute ago, fanofvan said:

Then you are stuck in the mindframe that  the Canucks will suck forever.  Sure, it’s a risk but if the 1st isn’t a late 1st then the team has bigger worries.

Kevin Hayes, a player who has never broken 50pts, was a pending UFA who was traded for a 1st then signed for $7m.  

Not necessarily, Petey has already had a concussion, Brock hasn't played a full season yet, this team could have all the right pieces but a stupid hit by an opponent and the whole season gets thrown away.

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

how is he in desperation mode ?

The guy may have just stole two top six scoring forwards in the first two rounds of the draft in Podkolzin and Hoglander, now utilizing that 3rd and a conditional to add a top six physically solid winger who can produce and is at a good age. I fail to see how this is desperation mode. You have to pay to add quality.

He just trade a 1st round pick for a 2/3rd line Center on his third team.

We didn’t steal anything we got two players that were available when we picked and Judd Bracket is the guy you can thank. 

Ji said he can’t acquire 1st round picks because other teams don’t like to trade them unless it’s elite talent coming back Miller isn’t elite. 

We just finished watching ottawa regret the same deal. This is desperation and really with how crappy we have been the last 5 years we should have added enough picks to have the depth to make a deal like this. The farm is empty and stinks. 

Millers a good player he’s not worth a first. Let alone a first a 3 and prospect and taking the full cap hit. 

• Upvote 1