The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Patrik Nemeth

19 minutes ago, mpt said:

Problem is Hutton can move up into the top 4 for injuries, Nemeth won’t.  Not a huge fan of Hutton but with the fragility of Tanev we kind of need him to stick around

There are issues regarding Hutton's arbitration rights that may require us to say so long, of course we could not qualify him and then sign him as a free agent once he's come down to earth, meaning once no one gets in line to sign him for what he wants, according to reports/rumors.

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

I honestly think we need to rotate 8 D to try to keep healthy and energy up. Use the NBA load management strategy 

Having cheaper veteran depth like Nemeth and Schenn in the 6-8 slots lets you do that and insert them in games that a little more size might be needed.

you should text the coaching staff.  I would agree with this.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Don't really see the point.  We need guys from the back end who can score.  This guy has shown little in that regard.

Ya we do but not all the D must be offensive minded, sounds like a good 5-6 guy, tough, physical has great size, shut down kinda guy, always need those

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not a problem... we want Juolevi to come up in case of injury this year anyways.

True, but not in a top 4 role when he missed a full season.  Especially with a team that management is trying to make the playoffs

30 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the issue is not whether he is a scorer

can he do a proper break out pass

can he sustain under pressure

what is his foot speed like

our current d are somewhat poor at getting the puck to forwards in the right position

if he can do that .. you'll see he'll get some assists

if he can't, he does not really help the team much

They say his first pass is good but he's no offensive at all but physical large man who likes to hit, solid defensively

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, mpt said:

Problem is Hutton can move up into the top 4 for injuries, Nemeth won’t.  Not a huge fan of Hutton but with the fragility of Tanev we kind of need him to stick around

I think as long as Nemeth can defend and they say he can he can move up if needed but more importantly when we need size to match up he's there

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we just don’t qualify Hutton, sign Nemeth, and save 3 million off the cap?

and apply that cap towards an offensive RD like Myers or stralman?  dont think so.

More the RD situation folds out is that our money should be applied to left offensive defense like edler Hughes juolevi etc.. and focus our conservative dollars on Defensive RD's to offset them. This looks to be a good way to get the most for your defense cap dollar since right defense are in such high demand.

We have Stecher who could take the step and come into his own as a top 4 RD that can put up some points as well.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Big physical guy. Bottom pairing physical Dman. Not very good on offense side but does the hard things skilled D don't do..

Schenn replacement not Hutton replacement.

I'm guessing 2 yrs 2.5 mill per.  Hope JB doesn't  give him 4 yrs like with Beagle.. 

Why not 4? @ 2 mill say good deadline chip teams always need big d man like him on a good cap # going into play offs hell maybe we'll need him

9 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya we do but not all the D must be offensive minded, sounds like a good 5-6 guy, tough, physical has great size, shut down kinda guy, always need those

If we want mainly size, I feel we have it if Schenn wants to re-sign.  We also are in the mix for Myers (like it or not), and I feel he brings enough physicality should that be what Benning does.

Then the year later, we need space for Tryamkin - assuming we get him back.  We have had enough trouble scoring from the blueline; we don't need multiple guys who are big bug can't put up points; that's one of the main reasons we got rid of Guddy!

57 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Don't really see the point.  We need guys from the back end who can score.  This guy has shown little in that regard.

Imo, they don't, they need guys with some grit and defensive prowess.  They just added Miller, who will help, and they'll likely be adding a top 4 two way dman (Myers, stralman) who will provide some offense.  From the backend they have QH, Edler and Stetch (to a degree) to provide offense.  I suspect we'll see OJ sometime around Xmas too.

I think they're looking at their dmen to provide good, quick puck movement out of the zone and rely, more, on their fwds to provide offense from the red line in.

Edited by stawns

10 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Why not 4? @ 2 mill say good deadline chip teams always need big d man like him on a good cap # going into play offs hell maybe we'll need him

Ya i doubt he goes under 3 mill but I'm hoping 2.5. 

A 6 D who is defensive and not a great skater I wouldn't wanna be tied down to for 4 yrs.  He's 27 so does have some hockey left in him. Let's see what happens. 

Edited by WHL rocks

17 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I think as long as Nemeth can defend and they say he can he can move up if needed but more importantly when we need size to match up he's there

Again, I’d rather have Schenn, but Nemeth is a decent back up plan if Schenn walks; which is a good chance

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

I suspect the Canucks will not qualify Hutton and he will test free agency. The Canucks will likely have an offer on the table for him at less than he made this year if he can't get something better as a UFA.

Nemeth could be a relatively cheap replacement on a short term deal.

They won’t let Hutton walk for nothing, they need defense depth, he had a good year with us and would have too much value as trade bait with cap strapped teams.

• Upvote 3