The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

5 minutes ago, Boone Jenner said:

Outside of Edler, everyone was mediocre or a dumpster fire on our back end last year. I'm ready for a new corp that's not fragile and shows up.. 

Stecher and Schenn were pretty reliable and consistent. Hughes was, for a five game stint, pretty exciting. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hutton is a really nice guy, most likely a great teammate, but he is not worth anything near $4 million.  He's not even worth his current salary at $2.8 million.

Losing him for nothing doesn't mean much if we can simply replace him with a UFA like Nemeth who plays a much heavier game, is a better 3rd pairing guy who can rotate with Juolevi and will come at a more reasonable cap rate.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Stecher and Schenn were pretty reliable and consistent. Hughes was, for a five game stint, pretty exciting. 

Pretty much any of our youth(Brisebois,Sautner) plus Hughes and even Schenn are better then Hutton. This is before we even have thoughts about FA's. He is at the bottom of the pecking order and he is on the verge of getting pecked out.::D

Just now, EdgarM said:

Pretty much any of our youth(Brisebois,Sautner) plus Hughes and even Schenn are better then Hutton. This is before we even have thoughts about FA's. He is at the bottom of the pecking order and he is on the verge of getting pecked out.::D

I agree. They all bring far more consistency to their game. 

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Two of those guys played a combined 23 games for us, I agree though that Schenn Hughes tandem was one of the brightest points of the Canuck's D last year, but that's not saying much. 

Just thankful the names of Del Zotto, Pouliot and Gudbranson are gone forever..

10 hours ago, Provost said:

Making changes... talking to Nemeth, Schenn and probably a number of others.

Either we change up the D or we don't.  Edler and Hughes are going nowhere, likely not Stecher.  Only leaves two regulars.  It's nice to be sentimental and easy to get attached, but have to do what's best for the team.

Juolevi could well win a spot out of camp, although that means running two rookies on D.  Guys like the ones listed will be signed, at least a couple.  If Juolevi beats them out, it'll be just like when we signed Wiercioch when he didn't earn a job and ended up in Utica.  Nothing ventured nothing gained nothing lost.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Either we change up the D or we don't.  Edler and Hughes are going nowhere, likely not Stecher.  Only leaves two regulars.  It's nice to be sentimental and easy to get attached, but have to do what's best for the team.

Juolevi could well win a spot out of camp, although that means running two rookies on D.  Guys like the ones listed will be signed, at least a couple.  If Juolevi beats them out, it'll be just like when we signed Wiercioch when he didn't earn a job and ended up in Utica.  Nothing ventured nothing gained nothing lost.

we're going to have to start using ELCs on d, there's just no way we can afford enough high end talent on the team without doing that. Look at every contending team, they all rely on ELCs for key roles.

I'd love it if OJ was ready, he certainly got the size and speed. If he can play some sheltered minutes say with Stecher on the bottom 6 I like that plan.

BTW, shame about your avatar. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 hour ago, drofssalg said:

Not sure if there is confusion or not on the Hutton situation but since no one else spelled it out clearly I will take a shot at it.

If Hutton is qualified, he only has to be qualified at 100% of his current salary. We can all agree that Hutton is not worth 2.8 (see Stecher at 2.3). The issue with being qualified is Hutton has arbitration rights. If he does not accept his qualifying offer (which I suspect he would not) he will take it to arbitration. Rick's comment about the sub 4.4 million is based on an arbitrator award and the walk away limits in the CBA. If the assumption is that Hutton will elect arbitration (which he would and not the team), then an award of less than 4.4 the team cannot walk away (CBA rules). This is the root of the issue - the Canucks qualify him and he takes them to arbitration then the Canucks are trapped to a contract. This is why Hutton has no trade value - the new team would be in the same boat. Hutton has to go UFA to get signed to a contract with proper value. He is not worth 2.8 (minimum qualifying offer) to 4.4 (max can't walk away arbitrator award). For those that want - Capfriendly lays out the arbitration rules very clearly. 

The other issue is that you cannot negotiate an amount less than the current salary when the player is an RFA. So the minimum the Canucks would sign Hutton at is 2.8 if they qualify him and he agrees. I think the Canucks would like to see Hutton more at the Stecher price point but the reality is they need change on the D and unfortunately Hutton is a victim of that circumstance. Once Edler was signed that was the last of Hutton. It is sad he has no trade value but that is not a slight to the team or to Hutton - it is a function of his current contract, the CBA and the likely award of an arbitrator. Plus if you are another GM - you are not giving up an asset when you can try to get the player for free. 

I would not be surprised to see Hutton sign on with Ottawa (home town) for 3 years at 2.25 to 2.75.

Thank you, I don't know how many people know how this whole process actually works.  Good write up

Also arbitration period starts July 20, well past the start of the free agency period.  This also works against the Canucks as they will not know what Hutton will get and how much cap space they will have to either sign FA's that they need or make trades that they may be able to take back salary.

Also Andre Burakovsky hasn't been given a QO, and apparently the Caps had received many offers for him during this past years TDL, he could walk for free and I would say he has more value than Hutton

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Are you changing your user name today?  -_-

10 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yep, literally everyone admits we need to change our D.

I am not sure how folks think that can happen if we keep all the old ones.

Hutton and Tanev are the likeliest candidates to move.  Edler, Hughes, and Stecher the least likeliest.  Juolevi and Tryamkin are possibilities for having at least some games played this season.  Biega May stay a depth guy or they might want to see more of the newer young guys.

Probably half the starting D will be different this season.

Edler-Stecher 

Hughes-XX

XX-XX

XX-XX

One top 4 guy (presumably Myers), two or three veteran 5-8th spot guys like Schenn and Nemeth or some variation.... and some combination of Biega, Teves, Rafferty, Brisbois, Sautner, Chatfield for the final depth spots.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you changing your user name today?  -_-

Hutton isn't gone yet.

The team has been through this numerous times with different young players that they did not qualify but signed regardless.

However, they're arguably at a different 'stage' - with more young LHD prospects - where they may not value a 26 year old Hutton more than a veteran alternative.

2 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Will Benning blink?

nope. Hutty is the one under pressure. Does he stay and take a pay haircut? Agree to 2.8 for 1 more year? maybe. 

Its kind of a weird situation, trying to remember the last time this happened on the Canucks. Burakovsky is the exact same thing going on in WSH. 

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, literally everyone admits we need to change our D.

I am not sure how folks think that can happen if we keep all the old ones.

Hutton and Tanev are the likeliest candidates to move.  Edler, Hughes, and Stecher the least likeliest.  Juolevi and Tryamkin are possibilities for having at least some games played this season.  Biega May stay a depth guy or they might want to see more of the newer young guys.

Probably half the starting D will be different this season.

Edler-Stecher 

Hughes-XX

XX-XX

XX-XX

One top 4 guy (presumably Myers), two or three veteran 5-8th spot guys like Schenn and Nemeth or some variation.... and some combination of Biega, Teves, Rafferty, Brisbois, Sautner, Chatfield for the final depth spots.

I can see this happening this year:

Hughes   Myers

Edler       Tanev

Nemeth   Stecher

Juolevi    Rafferty

People may not like it but I can see that happening.  Tanev will be gone in a year and replaced with Tryamkin.  Juolevi will replace Edler eventually in 2 years and Woo will replace Nemeth.  In 2 years we can see this:

Hughes     Myers

Juolevi       Woo

Tryamkin   Stecher

That's not a bad D really.  4 guys we drafted, one guy was a college free agent and then we have a guy we signed as a UFA.  Not a bad mix really of size and speed and grit.  If we can get someone other than Myers I'd be happy with that but as of right now he looks like our most likely option on the right side.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hutton isn't gone yet.

The team has been through this numerous times with different young players that they did not qualify but signed regardless.

However, they're arguably at a different 'stage' - with more young LHD prospects - where they may not value a 26 year old Hutton more than a veteran alternative.

Benning couldn,t re-up Hutton at $4 mil so releasing him was inevitable. With Edler re-signed Hutton was the 2LD going into the fall. Fans suggesting Joulevi is knocking might be a reality but just as easily in December as October. Cutting Hutton on that basis is ultra risky. He still might re-sign which is preferred and then trade him if the rookies push him. A gutsy play by Hutton is signing a 1 year deal with another club at $4 mil so he can prove himself. IMHO Hutton still has upside. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Hutton isn't gone yet.

I don't think Benning wants to re-sign him even at his current salary.  If he can get Nemeth as a 3rd pairing guy at under $2.5 million then Benning may go that route instead as Nemeth plays a heavier game and is better on the 3rd pairing, plus the Swedish connection.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1