The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

42 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

He's not Puliot, we shouldn't be losing him for nothing.

You'd rather have him get 4 - 4.25 million in Arbitration and have us unable to walk away?

Choosing not to qualify him, does not mean that we won't sign him. It just means that we are choosing to avoid an arbitration ruling that we wouldn't have been able to walk away from. In the Cap NHL, teams are going to have to do that from time to time. All this does is sends a message to him that if he wants to be part of this group, he's going to need to be around 3 million.

I think he'll have trouble getting too far north of that in the NHL this summer, not with GM's having less cap space to work with than they had planned. There is more players than there is cap space to spend.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Honestly there is something wrong here when arb rights are giving guys raises like this. RFAs are seriously messing up the salary structure. Since when did RFA guys get so much power... 

All Hutton has to do is point at another D on the Canucks roster who got $4 million to play less minutes last season.

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

I'm at a loss for words as to why everyone takes everything from the media as gospel.

I read it too fast, didn't see 2017, I'm am trying to train myself to read more slowly, it's taking time.

• Haha 1

I'm not surprised, really. Between arbitration rights (where he would likely be awarded more than he is worth), and Juolevi likely seeing some action with the club, he was the odd man out on the left side.  We also have depth (and only depth) options for the left side if need be like Sautner and Teves. Not that I think either would be ideal, but could play in a pinch.

Love Hutton but not at $4+ million.  He won't get that on the open market.  It also frees up cash and a roster spot for a UFA signing.  We have Juolevi, Woo, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Rafferty, Brisebois, Saunter etc. to fill the gap.  What we really need is a top 4 Dman which Hutton is not.  So spending that money elsewhere is a good thing.  I'd go after Nemeth who would be a perfect 5/6 guy who you could get at a reasonable cap rate.

6 minutes ago, aliboy said:

So Hutton and Granlund might not be qualified, we haven't heard anything yet regarding Goldobin, or Motte, and Leivo has arbitration rights, so wonder if they have any concern there.

Godly and motte are being qualified 

9 minutes ago, aliboy said:

So Hutton and Granlund might not be qualified, we haven't heard anything yet regarding Goldobin, or Motte, and Leivo has arbitration rights, so wonder if they have any concern there.