The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

35 minutes ago, Statman said:

Here's the real question, once Ferland is playing on the third line is this contract still good?

A line with Ferland, (healthy) Sutter and Virtanen would be extremely difficult to play against.

Who knows where Ferland will ultimately end up in the lineup, but no matter what I feel it was a good signing and he will prove useful regardless of the line he eventually calls home.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

Thanks for posting this! I'm so stoked for next year and having Ferland on the team. Can't wait till we play the Panthers and dump it into Matheson's corner KABOOMMM!!!

Nah.. mvp for the panthers is open season... 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

The problem with HF(Bs) is that anyone signed in; regardless of which team they support, can invade other team forums.  There's no telling whether the posts are created by Canucks fans or fans from other teams that are just trolling.  It's just too easy for them...and apparently endless fun for the bored and uninspired.

I don't generally find it that bad. Most poster's stick to there own team's board. Then you have main board where all topics are open season. I tend to check main board more than team board, but when I do go to the team board I really haven't seen many opposing fans, just nucks fans. 

The thing I like about HF with the main board is you get input from all fan bases, I think it allows for a better understanding of values around the league & how different teams might be thinking.

I just mean on HFcanucks its ultra negative, they can really jump on you in a hurry for even the slightest thing in some cases. Here's its not as bad, but the tendency is definitely on the overly positive side. If your viewed as too 'negative' you can get some ppl after you aswell. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Gudbransons_Elbow said:

Thanks for posting this! I'm so stoked for next year and having Ferland on the team. Can't wait till we play the Panthers and dump it into Matheson's corner KABOOMMM!!!

yeah. I'm stoked about the Ferland signing as well. Hoping that he's able to stay and remain healthy, if he can do that, he's going to have a big year this season, I think! 

Also. I'm surprised about the Ferland signing. I wasn't expecting it. But boy, with Miller and now Ferland, that's some toughness that's been added to the top six. A good mix of toughness, and elite skill with Pettersson and Boeser as well as very good centreman in Horvat. That's a good mix, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, kloubek said:

A line with Ferland, (healthy) Sutter and Virtanen would be extremely difficult to play against.

Who knows where Ferland will ultimately end up in the lineup, but no matter what I feel it was a good signing and he will prove useful regardless of the line he eventually calls home.

Too much skill for 3rd line, that boy can snipe and well as a punch/hit.. 

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Too much skill for 3rd line, that boy can snipe and well as a punch/hit.. 

I would be optimistic except Sutter doesn't produce offence. LOL. 

Replace Gaudette there on the 3rd line centreman, and you might have something there with Virtanen and Ferland. 

Jake has a lot to learn from Ferland. And maybe that's partly where JB brought Ferland in, maybe? 

With that being said. I think JV18 is going to have a pretty good upcoming season. just a prediction. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

That title belongs to the 2011 Canucks still . A team which had two art ross winners , a selke winner with 40 plus goals , a vezina caliber goalie , a very good backup and a excellent well rounded d-core . Forgot to mention a thirty goal scoring pest and a premier shutdown Center . That team was a beaut too bad injuries and incompetent reffing &^@#ed us. 

that being said very excited for this upcoming season!

It was definately injuries, spent so much time building that team that depth wasn't there to cover it. Our D was destroyed.. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

yeah. I'm stoked about the Ferland signing as well. Hoping that he's able to stay and remain healthy, if he can do that, he's going to have a big year this season, I think! 

Also. I'm surprised about the Ferland signing. I wasn't expecting it. But boy, with Miller and now Ferland, that's some toughness that's been added to the top six. A good mix of toughness, and elite skill with Pettersson and Boeser as well as very good centreman in Horvat. That's a good mix, in my opinion. 

He's good for at least 70+ games. 

Most importantly I'm hoping with Ferland in the lineup it will encourage JV to play more physical like he was in jr. 

If he can do that we will have our very own Bash Brothers! :towel:

• Upvote 2

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Replace Gaudette there on the 3rd line centreman, and you might have something there with Virtanen and Ferland. 

Jake has a lot to learn from Ferland. And maybe that's partly where JB brought Ferland in, maybe? 

With that being said. I think JV18 is going to have a pretty good upcoming season. just a prediction. 

Well typically 3rd line is out to stop goals and if 1 and 2 line are scoring and D chipping in, 3-4 line should not have to score at all... great if they do but if it's needed to win then things need to be changed..

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Derp....MATHS ARE HARD.

Boeser makes 925,000 a year last year.

Boeser (hypothetically) signs for 5.5 million this year. 

Please show your work........   :ph34r:

2/7

The question is what his current market value, not his entry level value. 

I guess his market value can be debated and could be reduced to 5.5. My point was that one could argue he's worth 7.

DERP....grammer. Brock didn't makes $925K.

Edited by Chris12345

Hmm.. Ferland Miller Petey? 

Messier, Kurri, and Gretz? Same type of styles there at least.. shrugs.. 

Ferland to Miller to Alien? Yes please! Lmao!

Seriously, i watched mess run over guys,  go get the puck, feed to kurri and drop to gretz.. and repeat! If we (anyone) can copy that line = lethal!  ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Statman said:

Here's the real question, once Ferland is playing on the third line is this contract still good?

That is a question. But is it the “real” question?

Imho the real question is , can we win a cup with this type player on our roster?

Take a look at the makeup of most Cup winners for your answer.

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yes to Guadette over Sutter.

3 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I agree but also agree that Babcock should legitimately be on hot seat.

I live in T.O and there has been legit criticism given the team he has and that his claim to fame was he was “the best coach in the NHL” / highest paid as well. 

On Tim and Sid (who I love) post the leafs exit this year, Sid made a great point that resonated with me.

It started with the fact that Babcock was paid based on his past success and the assumption that he is the best coach in the NHL. 

When you look at the Leaf’s roster, sure they hurt a bit on D, but they didn’t have a horrendous group, just not all the right parts. But they have Reilly, and some decent parts, and then of course up front he has an all star top 6, and arguably when Kadri was there the best top 9 in the game. 

Sid then suggested, if you are paid as the best coach in the NHL and can’t get a team with that level of talent, regardless of their holes, to buy into a 2 way system to make up for the imperfections, are you really the coach everyone believed you to be? Think about the teams he had in Detroit, no holes, just stars in all the key positions, then he’s coaching team Canada which coaches itself. 

The questions Sid raised, which I think is valid, was is Babcock as great a coach as people thought or just a decent coach who was fortunate to have great teams built for him to work with? Perhaps the inability of a talented leafs group to play a system that will win in the playoffs is showing he’s not as great a coach as people assumed?

Babcock had Nik  Lidstrom in Detroit. Guy like that can make a coach look pretty good. 

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

Babcock had Nik  Lidstrom in Detroit. Guy like that can make a coach look pretty good. 

Toronto’s sports media can make anybody they want look bad..  it’s Dubas who has his poker chips stacked on certain players now.

Babcock has to work with what he is given.   Although I do think Zaitsev could have been given a little more free reign.