The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Puljujarvi to play in Finland until he is traded

I liked Puljujarvi quite a lot in that draft but the sense that I get now is that he was just one of those man child who developed faster than his peers and have peaked early. He is 6'4 and from what I remember, he was already 200+ pounds and ripped. Maybe he can improve a bit more but not too much from what he is now? If so, might not be a good trade candidate worth any real asset.

I guess even if he just tops out as a 3rd liner with size and skill, it would be worth trading a 3rd rounder for example... but I doubt Edmonton sells him that low.

21 hours ago, khay said:

I liked Puljujarvi quite a lot in that draft but the sense that I get now is that he was just one of those man child who developed faster than his peers and have peaked early. He is 6'4 and from what I remember, he was already 200+ pounds and ripped. Maybe he can improve a bit more but not too much from what he is now? If so, might not be a good trade candidate worth any real asset.

I guess even if he just tops out as a 3rd liner with size and skill, it would be worth trading a 3rd rounder for example... but I doubt Edmonton sells him that low.

I don’t know about that. They sold off Nail Yakupov for basically nothing after his D+4 season. JP is going into his D+4 and hasn’t shown any more than NY has so far, so maybe his trade value isn’t that high right now - especially given that he doesn’t want to be there.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I don’t know about that. They sold off Nail Yakupov for basically nothing after his D+4 season. JP is going into his D+4 and hasn’t shown any more than NY has so far, so maybe his trade value isn’t that high right now - especially given that he doesn’t want to be there.

I don't know how Edmonton benefits from this situation with JP. 

He doesn't want to return to Edmonton, and Edmonton won't get much for JP. He's young yes, but right now, i think, he's seen as a reclamation project in the eyes of many around the league. 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Like 1

Personally I would really love to see JB put out some feelers to the Coilers and ask what they want for this kid.

He has all the physical skills... his head is where the problem is... and that is 90% a function of him being developed by the idiots in Edmonchuck.

If they could pick him up for a 4th round pick or even one of our less impressive defensive prospects, then I'd say 'Do it'.

His potential upside is still huge.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Personally I would really love to see JB put out some feelers to the Coilers and ask what they want for this kid.

He has all the physical skills... his head is where the problem is... and that is 90% a function of him being developed by the idiots in Edmonchuck.

If they could pick him up for a 4th round pick or even one of our less impressive defensive prospects, then I'd say 'Do it'.

His potential upside is still huge.

JP needs to clear waivers before he can be sent to the minors.  I think, even with all going on with him, he’s worth more than a fourth.  Vey, and Baer cost us each a second, so I think (going by that) JP is worth a second.  The problem though, like with Vey and Baer, is JB has to be on our roster, or he goes on waivers.  If there are aspects of the game he needs to develop to be an NHL player, we’d have to teach him here, and not in Utica.  Are we at a point in our team’s development where we can afford to have a guy learning on the job?  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

JP needs to clear waivers before he can be sent to the minors.  I think, even with all going on with him, he’s worth more than a fourth.  Vey, and Baer cost us each a second, so I think (going by that) JP is worth a second.  The problem though, like with Vey and Baer, is JB has to be on our roster, or he goes on waivers.  If there are aspects of the game he needs to develop to be an NHL player, we’d have to teach him here, and not in Utica.  Are we at a point in our team’s development where we can afford to have a guy learning on the job?  

I think there's always room for a guy who's learning on the job when he has the tools and potential if Puljujarvi. He may not get to play every day or get a ton of PP minutes right off the bat but most teams have a project or two (or three) and Jesse is definitely worth of that. I wouldn't do more that Goldobin and a small piece though. To be honest, we might even be be better off just keeping Goldobin. At least he's shown some success with EP and seems to be liked by his teammates. Plus he's already a couple years deep into Travis Green's hard knock school of hockey, rather than that gong show in Edmonton. That has to be worth something.

Edited by VIC_CITY

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't know how Edmonton benefits from this situation with JP. 

He doesn't want to return to Edmonton, and Edmonton won't get much for JP. He's young yes, but right now, i think, he's seen as a reclamation project in the eyes of many around the league. 

Personally I think this is the reason why if I were in Edmonton's shoes that I would simply call his bluff and let him stay in Finland. Set an example of him that players that attempt this in the future will just rot. JP wants to play in the NHL, he's not homesick or anything, so if his dream slowly fades as his development continues to deteriorate and he gets older, he's going to have to come back. It might not be pleasant for him if he does come back, but he created this situation. He's an RFA and club controlled, so that should be the leverage the Oilers instill to him and send a message.

If he could actually garner good value in a trade, then sure, but I wouldn't entertain any lowball offers simply to appease his demands as he simply doesn't have much leverage here.

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I think there's always room for a guy who's learning on the job when he has the tools and potential if Puljujarvi. He may not get to play every day or get a ton of PP minutes right off the bat but most teams have a project or two (or three) and Jesse is definitely worth of that. I wouldn't do more that Goldobin and a small piece though. To be honest, we might even be be better off just keeping Goldobin. At least he's shown some success with EP and seems to be liked by his teammates. Plus he's already a couple years deep into Travis Green's hard knock school of hockey, rather than that gong show in Edmonton. That has to be worth something.

If he isn't good enough yet to earn a spot, but we send a vet down and/or Gaudette, what kind of message does that show to the team and to the young players? Why should he be above everyone else not needing to earn a spot? A few years ago when we acquired Baertschi and Vey, we had the room for a project. I don't think we do now.

I wouldn't give up much either, but they don't have much reason to move him without a good return as well.

55 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Personally I think this is the reason why if I were in Edmonton's shoes that I would simply call his bluff and let him stay in Finland. Set an example of him that players that attempt this in the future will just rot. JP wants to play in the NHL, he's not homesick or anything, so if his dream slowly fades as his development continues to deteriorate and he gets older, he's going to have to come back. It might not be pleasant for him if he does come back, but he created this situation. He's an RFA and club controlled, so that should be the leverage the Oilers instill to him and send a message.

If he could actually garner good value in a trade, then sure, but I wouldn't entertain any lowball offers simply to appease his demands as he simply doesn't have much leverage here.

Yeah. I guess that's true. But I'm sure other players who will be drafted into the Oilers organization, they're watching this situation, and if they're not, their agents are. JP certainly did create this, but I'm not sure if I can blame him for wanting out of an organization that has stockpiled countless of top five, and top ten draft picks, only for many of those picks to not "pan out". If I'm the player, I'm afraid that the organization has mishandled me, or will mishandle me. That's not great for my career, so I'm looking to get out, and get to the best situation possible. JP may want to develop well, maybe he can do that in Finland - regain some confidence that he had in his game before it all deteriorated with Edmonton. 

If he's just not that good, then there's no loss for Edmonton. Kinda like Nail Yakupov. No loss to the organization, because he wasn't any good of a player. 

Even though JP is only 20 years old, he was a top three pick. And someone picked that high, is expected to contribute at the NHL level pretty quickly. He hasn't done that. Sure, he's still young, but I'm not sure if I'm a GM of another club, that I would want to give up too much to take on a player who's potentially a bust. 

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I guess that's true. But I'm sure other players who will be drafted into the Oilers organization, they're watching this situation, and if they're not, their agents are. JP certainly did create this, but I'm not sure if I can blame him for wanting out of an organization that has stockpiled countless of top five, and top ten draft picks, only for many of those picks to not "pan out". If I'm the player, I'm afraid that the organization has mishandled me, or will mishandle me. That's not great for my career, so I'm looking to get out, and get to the best situation possible. JP may want to develop well, maybe he can do that in Finland - regain some confidence that he had in his game before it all deteriorated with Edmonton. 

If he's just not that good, then there's no loss for Edmonton. Kinda like Nail Yakupov. No loss to the organization, because he wasn't any good of a player. 

Even though JP is only 20 years old, he was a top three pick. And someone picked that high, is expected to contribute at the NHL level pretty quickly. He hasn't done that. Sure, he's still young, but I'm not sure if I'm a GM of another club, that I would want to give up too much to take on a player who's potentially a bust. 

And those players have been moved on and most have found better situations. They stuck with it and while it didn't work out in Edmonton, they still have a career. JP is only hurting himself. I doubt he's choosing Finland to develop him. He's trying to use them to force his way off the team regardless if he's concerned about his development in the organization. He should put in the time to better himself as a player in the NHL and go to management behind closed doors and let them know that he would like to be traded if he's unhappy. Or maybe discuss his concerns about his development. The work needs to be done by JP at the end of the day. If Edmonton just throws away JP, then those same prospects/agents that are watching are going to start thinking, well that's an option for me now.

GMs don't want to give up much and the Oilers shouldn't be taking less in this situation.

53 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And those players have been moved on and most have found better situations. They stuck with it and while it didn't work out in Edmonton, they still have a career. JP is only hurting himself. I doubt he's choosing Finland to develop him. He's trying to use them to force his way off the team regardless if he's concerned about his development in the organization. He should put in the time to better himself as a player in the NHL and go to management behind closed doors and let them know that he would like to be traded if he's unhappy. Or maybe discuss his concerns about his development. The work needs to be done by JP at the end of the day. If Edmonton just throws away JP, then those same prospects/agents that are watching are going to start thinking, well that's an option for me now.

GMs don't want to give up much and the Oilers shouldn't be taking less in this situation.

They definitely should not take less, but i'm not sure how Holland's going to get much in return from other GM's. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

They definitely should not take less, but i'm not sure how Holland's going to get much in return from other GM's. 

They simply wait. They might get nothing for him, but it's more important that they don't send the wrong message than to get whatever they can get.

On 8/18/2019 at 1:20 AM, N4ZZY said:

Especially with JP wanting a top 6 role. For what? What has he done outside of being drafted high that says he deserves top 6 minutes? Harder for a GM to trade for him now with those types of demands. If he said he wants a fresh start and will play whatever role to bring value to the team, i can understand a GM willing to take the risk. Not so much when he and his agent want a top 6 role when he couldn't even hack it on a team like the oilers

On 8/17/2019 at 10:11 PM, theo5789 said:

I agree, for the most part........ GM's need to draw a line in the sand with RFA's.

Do you feel the same about Boes?

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, for the most part........ GM's need to draw a line in the sand with RFA's.

Do you feel the same about Boes?

I'm not sure Boeser's demands are that far from reasonable if some of the rumours I've seen on here are true.  $7.5 mil for 7 years is at the high end, but still within the realm where shaving half a million off the AAV would be fair.  I'm not going to worry about Boeser until it's time for camp as putting pressure on him now will sour the relationship over the long haul.  Let the man spend time with his family.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not sure Boeser's demands are that far from reasonable if some of the rumours I've seen on here are true.  $7.5 mil for 7 years is at the high end, but still within the realm where shaving half a million off the AAV would be fair.  I'm not going to worry about Boeser until it's time for camp as putting pressure on him now will sour the relationship over the long haul.  Let the man spend time with his family.

Sorry, that is not in the realm of reasonable for a kid with no bargaining power, who has played two partial seasons and hasn't hit 30 goals.  Short term and $5-6m max is what he's earned thus far, imo.  

Players don't play much of a role in contract negotiations.

Just now, stawns said:

Sorry, that is not in the realm of reasonable for a kid with no bargaining power, who has played two partial seasons and hasn't hit 30 goals.  Short term and $5-6m max is what he's earned thus far, imo.  

Players don't play much of a role in contract negotiations.

For shorter term, I'd agree a lower salary is required.  I don't mind going in on a guy like Brock and buying some UFA years though.  Both approaches are valid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

For shorter term, I'd agree a lower salary is required.  I don't mind going in on a guy like Brock and buying some UFA years though.  Both approaches are valid.

I should say, I like Boes and I'm thrilled he's a Canuck.  I just don't want to see Vancouver fall into this RFA trap that is trending now.