The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Puljujarvi to play in Finland until he is traded

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't see where he would fit long term unless he took Virtanen's spot.  He's a right winger so you have to look at what we will have on the right side:

Boeser

Podkolzin

Virtanen

MacEwen

The only way to fit him in would be to move Jake over to the left side.  However, we don't have a spot there either with Miller, Ferland and Hoglander.  So unless we make a trade it's not really gonna work for us long term.  Our wing position is set if Podkolzin and Hoglander are the real deals.  So I'd rather roll the dice on our own draft picks then on Pool Party.  At the end of the day Pool Party will want a top 6 role and the way our team is currently constructed he doesn't really fit our needs.  We got the big bodies now which we were missing so let's roll the dice on what we have and go from there.  I like our forward lines right now, the only upgrade we could really use is on the back end, but we have several young prospects on the way so I think Benning is pretty much done with this team right now.  His only priority is really to try and get rid of Eriksson if it's possible.  If not he is Utica bound.

We haven’t made the playoffs in years and “if” everything goes well this year, maybe we squeak into a wildcard spot.  We have had amongst the worst offence in the league every year.

Saying we don’t have room to upgrade our forwards is ridiculous.  Miller was a 4th liner on his contending team.  Pearson and Leivo were spare parts on their teams.... yet we are counting on all three of those guys to be key offensive pieces for us.You don’t get to be happy with our lines until we are near the top of the league in scoring.

Maybe Pulujarvi doesn’t work out, but if the price is right, there is certainly room for hm.  Highly skilled 6’4” wingers aren’t easy to come by, and there is plenty of history to show that the issue could be Edmonton’s management rather than the individual player.  Especially since good teams nowadays have three skill/scoring lines that need to contribute.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Lucic has been dealt now and Puljujarvi still doesn't want to return, so I'm going to guess it's not Lucic.

Probably McDavid. Same age range, the dude could be a my-way-or-the-highway kind of leader...

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Hogs and VP are still ways away. Ofcourse we want our own picks to turn out but wouldnt it be better to have more internal competition so that the best play rather than gifting new draft picks future roster spots? 

If JP out plays Hogs, I'd rather he take the roster spot. 

Our young picks are not currently taking up a roster spot.  So we don't have to move anyone.  As I already mentioned in order to trade for Pool Party you need to make a trade.  Are you willing to trade Virtanen to make room for Pool Party?  Pearson?  Where else would he fit? 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

We haven’t made the playoffs in years and “if” everything goes well this year, maybe we squeak into a wildcard spot.  We have had amongst the worst offence in the league every year.

Saying we don’t have room to upgrade our forwards is ridiculous.  Miller was a 4th liner on his contending team.  Pearson and Leivo were spare parts on their teams.... yet we are counting on all three of those guys to be key offensive pieces for us.You don’t get to be happy with our lines until we are near the top of the league in scoring.

Maybe Pulujarvi doesn’t work out, but if the price is right, there is certainly room for hm.  Highly skilled 6’4” wingers aren’t easy to come by, and there is plenty of history to show that the issue could be Edmonton’s management rather than the individual player.  Especially since good teams nowadays have three skill/scoring lines that need to contribute.

Pearson and Miller are both proven 20 goal guys who bring an edge to their game.  Pool Party can't even break the Oilers lineup.  You want to disrupt everything Benning has done just to bring in a malcontent who has done nothing in the league so far and wants a top 6 role.  I don't think that makes a lot of sense.  Sure Leivo and Baertschi could be spare parts but they are competing for bottom 6 roles, Pool Party would want a top 6 role.  I'd rather go with what we have right now then roll the dice on a malcontent who can't crack the top 6 of of one of the worst teams in the league.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pearson and Miller are both proven 20 goal guys who bring an edge to their game.  Pool Party can't even break the Oilers lineup.  You want to disrupt everything Benning has done just to bring in a malcontent who has done nothing in the league so far and wants a top 6 role.  I don't think that makes a lot of sense.  Sure Leivo and Baertschi could be spare parts but they are competing for bottom 6 roles, Pool Party would want a top 6 role.  I'd rather go with what we have right now then roll the dice on a malcontent who can't crack the top 6 of of one of the worst teams in the league.

Miller, who has never cracked 60 points in a season, is a guy that worked his way down the lineup to the 4th line on both his previous teams, he was benched and publicly called out by his coach for effort level and bad decisions with the puck.  There are plenty of question marks around him as a key piece of a team.

Pearson. who has never cracked 45 points in a season, was bumped down to the 4th line on Pittsburgh in favour of the offensive dynamo Jared McCann.  There are plenty of question marks as to whether he can be a regular top 6 producer as well.

I live in hope as much as the next guy that they can suddenly blossom into top end offensive talents on our team... even though they are already well into their prime with years in the league under their belts... but to suggest that we are "good" at forward and don't have room for adding talent is ludicrous.  We have three legit top 6 forwards, and the rest of the guys should be 3rd and 4th liners if we plan on contending for a Cup.  We will probably start the season with Eriksson or Goldobin on our freaking lineup.  We give Virtanen years and every chance to develop while coddling him, and Pulujarvi, who hasn't had much opportunity at all, has a ceiling WAY higher than Jake does.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure I follow the discussion.

Miler and Pearson - a pair of LHF = LW/C and LW - wouldn't really preclude the addition of a RHF / RW like Puljujaarvi.

At the same time, the idea that Miller is a '4th liner' is equally dubious - and if that were true - a 47 pt '4th liner' would be remarkable production.  Miller is clearly - and easily - a middle six forward - 3 x 20 goal scorer by age 25..... his addition doesn't mean the top 6 is 'set' (clearly players like Podkolzin, Gaudette, etc will want to have some say in that in the next few years) - but he's no '4th line' / not even close - nor does his presence eliminate the possibility that a player like Puljujaarvi could have an opportunity here.

Where Puljujaarvi is concerned - I'd see the challenge for him being (not MIller but) players like Boeser (clearly the 1RW) and then guys like Baertschi, Ferland, Virtanen - among others, (possibly Pearson, even Gaudette in due course?) competing to earn that 2RW spot - and beyond that, Podkolzin just drafted, Lind in the system (don't write him off yet), Lockwood.....

I'd be happy to add Puljujaarvi to compete in that mix - ie at the 'right price' / of a player like Goldobin - but there is no shortage of competition imo (guys like Pearson may not even make the top 6 - in addition to EP, Boeser and Horvat - there are 4 x 20 goal scorers (Miller, Ferland, Pearson, LE) competing for those spots (excluding Baertschi who could arguably be considered a 5th (having scored 58 goals in in 219 games as a Canuck = 22 goals per 82 games as a Canuck....(and of course excluding Sutter, who regardless of having been a 20 goal scorer, is pretty clearly earmarked to the shutdown 3C role and not going to be competing to play wing in the top 6.  

The idea that the team only has 3 top 6 imo sells that group short - you can also look at it as a group with 9 guys that has proven capable of scoring 20 goals (while also having a strongly shutdown oriented bottom six).

50 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd be happy to add Puljujaarvi to compete in that mix - ie at the 'right price' / of a player like Goldobin

Has Pulli really sunk that low, that all we would have to pay is Goldy?

Still going to take more than that, a solid asset IMO for what lingering sense of potential is still there.

Miller, who has never cracked 60 points in a season, is a guy that worked his way down the lineup to the 4th line on both his previous teams, he was benched and publicly called out by his coach for effort level and bad decisions with the puck.  There are plenty of question marks around him as a key piece of a team.

Pearson. who has never cracked 45 points in a season, was bumped down to the 4th line on Pittsburgh in favour of the offensive dynamo Jared McCann.  There are plenty of question marks as to whether he can be a regular top 6 producer as well.

I live in hope as much as the next guy that they can suddenly blossom into top end offensive talents on our team... even though they are already well into their prime with years in the league under their belts... but to suggest that we are "good" at forward and don't have room for adding talent is ludicrous.  We have three legit top 6 forwards, and the rest of the guys should be 3rd and 4th liners if we plan on contending for a Cup.  We will probably start the season with Eriksson or Goldobin on our freaking lineup.  We give Virtanen years and every chance to develop while coddling him, and Pulujarvi, who hasn't had much opportunity at all, has a ceiling WAY higher than Jake does.

I will agree Miller and Pearson are not slam dunks.  Neither is Jake for the 3rd line.  But Miller hasn't even played a game with the Canucks yet and Pearson looked good with BO last year.  Like I said I'd rather go with these 2 guys and see what we have rather then rocking the boat on a 21 year old who can't even crack the Oilers lineup.  If Pool Party was waiver eligible it would be a different story, but in order to acquire him we have to change our lineup. 

We just acquired Miller and Pearson has only been here half a year.  We just got Ferland as well.  Why not try them out and see what happens?  Isn't that what Benning wants to happen?  Pool Party will probably start the year in Finland so there is no rush to get him in a Vancouver uniform.  If Miller and Pearson both flop then Benning can pull a trade mid season.  However if Miller does flop Benning may not even be around to make that trade as he is all in on him, trading a first and taking on a large 4 year contract.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think this kid is a pretty good bet. I’d probably offer up something like Baertschi and a 4th or 5th rounder.

Its not that I don’t like Baer, but his concussion history concerns me, so sending him in this type of trade, in my mind, mitigates our risk while showing decent value for the former 4th overall in a deep draft.

31 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Still going to take more than that, a solid asset IMO for what lingering sense of potential is still there.

JP requires waivers now to be sent down.  I’d say he’s worth, at most, a third, or another guy trying to figure out how to play without the puck.  So I think Goldy would be fair.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I will agree Miller and Pearson are not slam dunks.  Neither is Jake for the 3rd line.  But Miller hasn't even played a game with the Canucks yet and Pearson looked good with BO last year.  Like I said I'd rather go with these 2 guys and see what we have rather then rocking the boat on a 21 year old who can't even crack the Oilers lineup.  If Pool Party was waiver eligible it would be a different story, but in order to acquire him we have to change our lineup. 

We just acquired Miller and Pearson has only been here half a year.  We just got Ferland as well.  Why not try them out and see what happens?  Isn't that what Benning wants to happen?  Pool Party will probably start the year in Finland so there is no rush to get him in a Vancouver uniform.  If Miller and Pearson both flop then Benning can pull a trade mid season.  However if Miller does flop Benning may not even be around to make that trade as he is all in on him, trading a first and taking on a large 4 year contract.

9 pages and ongoing on Puljujarvi. I think that means people are pretty passionate at even the slightest possibility of it occurring. I personally like the entire debate.

You’re right in your assessment. Miller, Pearson and Ferland are three offensively finicky but hard playing individuals. These three players have a golden opportunity to help a very young team transition into a formidable team.

After being traded to the Canucks, Pearson was on par to match his career numbers. It is highly likely he plays with Horvat.

Miller is a lower 1st liner if he wants to be, and that by the way he plays. I see a Kesler-es que player playing with Pettersson and Boeser. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that the 1LW position is his to lose.

Ferland, as much as I love the signing and he can certainly and permanently top 6 himself into the Canucks lineup, I’d put him on the third line with Sutter to protect him physically, and Virtanen to teach him how to handle the upfront rigours of being a big player with expectations. More beef and truculence on that line and we have a full-time 3C in Sutter and that changes the entire Canucks game plan.

I think it’s a great opportunity for three very good players to take the next step in their careers. I’m sure between Miller, Pearson and Ferland they’ll figure it out.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

VAN

Puljujarvi

EDM

Goldobin

3rd conditional 

Puljujarvi hits 40pts the pick becomes a 2nd; Puljujarvi hits 60pts the pick becomes a 1st; EDM has three years to cash in the pick

Edited by Me_

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Puljujarvi

EDM

Goldobin

3rd conditional 

(If Puljujarvi hits 50pts the pick becomes a 1st; EDM has three years to cash in the pick.)

Cue the villagers and the burning stakes!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Miller's game started coming together until the 2015-6 season (22yrs) he was 4th in points for NY 82games 43pts.

In (16-17) he was 2nd overall in pts  for NY 82games 56pts!  5th in team points.

In 17-18 he played 63 games 40pts. 5th in team points; pro-rated he would be 2nd or 3rd.  Then was traded to TB 19 games 18pts.  Altogether that's 82games  58pts!

In 18-19 played 75games  44pts and was 5th (tied with Johnson), although pro-rated, he would be 4th in pts.

I don't see anything that indicates he is less that a top 6 player.  Despite playing much of his time on the 3rd line with Cirelli (on an incredibly stacked team), Miller managed to put up top 6 points with 48% o-zone starts.

Have a read and you will see what a positive effect Miller has on his linemates and the entire team effort.

The Tampa Bay Lightning had a 53.94 Corsi% when JT Miller was on the ice and when he wasn't on the ice they had a 50.91% Corsi.

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I understand what you’re saying but at the same time...

Adding Puljujarvi, who couldn’t crack 10 points last season, is unlikely to be the answer. 

We could certainly use another sure fire top end winger but I wouldn’t look at sinking what assets we have prying a reclamation project out of a division rival.    

Adding Miller, Ferland, Pearson and Leivo to the wings from the start of last season is already a pretty nice upgrade. Unless they’re giving Puljujarvi away, I’m happy to see what we have with this group.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You know, it's fun to play armchair GM but this is probably the right take. We have too many forwards as it is. We might pencil guys like Leivo, Pearson, Baertschi and Virtanen into bottom 6 roles but that doesn't change the fact that these guys are all busting their asses this summer trying to prove us wrong and one or two of them just might. 

So there's really no need to bring any more forwards into this group. That is, unless bodies are going out (Goldobin, Erkisson, Schaller, etc). So I'd still entertain a Goldy + a small asset for Puljujarvi but there's no real need to make that trade. Our depth at forward is probably the best it's been since AV was our coach.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

To me the bar is the offersheet.  Likely just a 3rd with the salary up to 2.1m.  Seems like the easiest approach to me.  3 year 2.1m per year offer sheet.  

• Cheers 1

I would absolutely love the Canucks to acquire him if the price were right. 

however with the current roster and that he cant be sent to Utica I really see no spot for him. Say we traded Lind and goldobin for him I'd be fine w that bit that would still put him on the 4th line as he wouldn't bump 

Miller Boeser Ferland Pearson Virtanen Baretschi out of the top 9. which Imo is a great problem to have.

Edited by hammertime