The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Green is crippling Pettersson with a dump and chase style

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Petey's shot is off right now, and he's not dominating play like he was in the first half of last season. That said, I really don't think the coach has anything to do with that. The league is aware of him now, and he's facing the best that the other teams have to offer on a nightly basis. Yes, I'd love to see him dominate like he did last season as well, but that's just not realistic right now. Just be happy with the fact that, despite the fact that he isn't doing as well on the eye test, he's still one of the top ten point producers in the league. Hell, he's only 3 points off the total he had at this point last year, and I'd venture to say that what he's doing now is FAR more sustainable than what he did in his first 11 games last season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Green is switching things up to get the other team off of him to create more room. He's now setting others up and helping us win. He's more than a ppg. He will continue to get more room and be more unpredictable. I can't believe I'm even having to type this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Green is switching things up to get the other team off of him to create more room. He's now setting others up and helping us win. He's more than a ppg. He will continue to get more room and be more unpredictable. I can't believe I'm even having to type this.

Agreed.   Miller has shown that line another way - it’s not as pretty maybe but it’s effective and more sustainable.  The best part is he’s winning a lot of board battles that last year he wasn’t.   He’s so shifty - but has also gained a fair bit of strength too.  The goals will come I’m sure.   Just a matter of time.   He’s not supposed to be McDavid or Crosby, but he will get his day in the sun im pretty sure - maybe a year or two from now.   Not easy being the top player in the league any given year, most HHOFers weren’t - EPs special in his own way, like Bure was with the puck deking an entire line and scoring at blazing speed won’t be his thing - you don’t get nicknamed the Alien for no reason....a very rare talent.   Look how long it took the Sedins to get 66 points like he did last year (six years, and three years at a PPG out of 16 seasons) .... he started with a bang for sure - ten goals in ten games doesn’t happen hardly ever ... now he’s playing against the best every game at 20 years old...and coming out on top.   Couldn’t be happier with him. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agreed.   Miller has shown that line another way - it’s not as pretty maybe but it’s effective and more sustainable.  The best part is he’s winning a lot of board battles that last year he wasn’t.   He’s so shifty - but has also gained a fair bit of strength too.  The goals will come I’m sure.   Just a matter of time.   He’s not supposed to be McDavid or Crosby, but he will get his day in the sun im pretty sure - maybe a year or two from now.   Not easy being the top player in the league any given year, most HHOFers weren’t - EPs special in his own way, like Bure was with the puck deking an entire line and scoring at blazing speed won’t be his thing - you don’t get nicknamed the Alien for no reason....a very rare talent.   Look how long it took the Sedins to get 66 points like he did last year (six years, and three years at a PPG out of 16 seasons) .... he started with a bang for sure - ten goals in ten games doesn’t happen hardly ever ... now he’s playing against the best every game at 20 years old...and coming out on top.   Couldn’t be happier with him. 

100% can't agree more. That goal start last year, then teams play him differently so he's playing playmaker right now, and he has how many assists in the first ten games this year? Hahaha, kid is killing it and it's not enough for critics. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

100% can't agree more. That goal start last year, then teams play him differently so he's playing playmaker right now, and he has how many assists in the first ten games this year? Hahaha, kid is killing it and it's not enough for critics. 

OP would be moaning about Phil Esposito scoring too many garbage goals.  Who cares how they go in as long as they do?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He is going to be a Selke candidate in his prime.  Datsyuk is a very apt comparable.

He reminds me of Datsyuk in so many ways. Thinks the game at another level, silky mitts, good with his stick/hand eye, and hustles harder than anybody on the ice without he puck on his stick. Yeah, needless to say Pavel was one of my favourites of all time. 

• Cheers 1

peterson has hit at least two crossbars on one timers this year.. so .. yes I notice not as many rush plays.. but they are also getting pucks back well on the forecheck.. its a more consistant way to play , and winning is more important then peterson getting more goals. I think peterson needs to change his skate blades back to flatter radius . he falls down ALOT now..

4 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

peterson has hit at least two crossbars on one timers this year.. so .. yes I notice not as many rush plays.. but they are also getting pucks back well on the forecheck.. its a more consistant way to play , and winning is more important then peterson getting more goals. I think peterson needs to change his skate blades back to flatter radius . he falls down ALOT now..

Maybe he falls down more recently as a result of being a lot more involved along the boards - Miller has definitely added a new element to his game (and he’s getting very good at it too, can’t wait to when he gets man strength, he’s winning more battles then he’s losing already)....

On the goals and the skates - another few posters have mentioned that has something to do with it - technically with better skates he should be a better skater, I’m going with that for now given how amazing this kid is at developing his skills on his own with no help.  He will figure it out for sure and the end result will be improvement overall. 

Last year he posted a remarkable, rarely seen.   19.4.   Stamkos is the best current player - his career percentage around 17.1.   Ovi is around 12, which is actually good, but add his volume of shots to it and you’ve got multiple 50 goal seasons and Richard trophies  Most other pretty good to very good players are 10-12.   Wheeler is 11.9 for example.    Gretzky career SP was 20.1, his best 26.2 wtf!! 

EPs platitudes from the Great One himself and his Alien skills could mean he can sustain a SP around 19-20%, but the sample size isn’t big enough and he needs to start burying some.  Which he will.   

Dump and chase makes the opposing DMan to play back more thus creating more ice. Dumping and chasing now opens up more ice in game and later on in the season. Depending on the winger / center support on the back check I would be more than betting that Pettersson and Boeser have the green light to carry the puck in. Plus it’s guaranteed time in the zone and with Miller crashing behind the boards and getting it to Petey and Brock why not use it as an option?

6 hours ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Dump and chase makes the opposing DMan to play back more thus creating more ice. Dumping and chasing now opens up more ice in game and later on in the season. Depending on the winger / center support on the back check I would be more than betting that Pettersson and Boeser have the green light to carry the puck in. Plus it’s guaranteed time in the zone and with Miller crashing behind the boards and getting it to Petey and Brock why not use it as an option?

Of course you use it as an option.... one of many.

But you also work to carry the puck into the zone, because gaining the zone in possession is a better option... no wasted time trying to regain possession with forecheck.

And you use creative plays, with the wingers switching sides, the center moving to a wing to confuse the defensive coverage... or players lining up one behind the other, first guy gains the zone with the puck then drops it to the second guy and heads to the net drawing the defense to him and leaving room for the new puck carrier.

All these are normal systems in the NHL, most good teams use a variety of entries. 

The problem with Green's style is that it emphasized the dump and chase over everything else... which makes it easier for the opposing defense, they are always looking for the dump in, they are positioned to retrieve the puck.

The good news is this last game versus Florida the team started to use zone entry in possession again... not sure if that was player initiative or Green took them off the leash.

Hope they continue that... because every team needs a variety of offensive options to throw at the opposing team's defense.

Yeah, you dump it in when the defense is lined up at the blueline waiting for you, but if you're a well coached team, in most cases Dump and Chase is not the first option.

Read above that dump and chase is predictable and easy on the defense - id agree it’s something they can anticipate BUT it’s far from easy on the defense.  St Louis used this beautifully last playoffs and just pounded on each teams defense and it took a toll.   Doing that relentlessly with four lines wins series.   EPs line did little until Miller was added and they added this to their toolbox.  It’s not the only thing they are doing either, but they are doing it and it’s working (for now).  EPs winning puck battles on the boards that he wasn’t last year - and they are drawing a lot of penalties too given they are so hard to contain.    Don’t mind that TG is implementing a playoff style game this early.   Rolling four lines and pounding away doesn’t make us fun to play against and I’d expect dividends come playoff time.  The only worry I have is if it back-fires and our team starts losing guys to injuries as a result - but he’s managing minutes (isn’t pulling a Torts) and so far so good.