The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who else is DONE with Jakes 3 year tryout - Read just the title and leave a downvote edition

Rate this topic

Johnny Torts

Jake's finally playing without an anvil of scrutiny on his shoulders, he looks much more relaxed. I am sure Green will find time to question his play at some point in the next loss but he is doing okay. Hey how about that Julievi eh? Now there is a guy struggling, he is tied with the worst +/- on the team and he is getting 1rst line PP time as well garnering a whooping 3 points in total. He is a Canuck and after his contract is running out, can hardly be thought of as a shaved tale mule.

Edited by debluvscanucks
Mini modding. Let us do the heavy lifting.

4 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Jake's finally playing without an anvil of scrutiny on his shoulders, he looks much more relaxed. I am sure Green will find time to question his play at some point in the next loss but he is doing okay. Hey how about that Julievi eh? Now there is a guy struggling, he is tied with the worst +/- on the team and he is getting 1rst line PP time as well garnering a whooping 3 points in total. He is a Canuck and after his contract is running out, can hardly be thought of as a shaved tale mule.

It makes for fun discussion to have differing views.  However, when a poster refuses to accept that their views are proven wrong (by the player's improved play, like with Jake) then what's that?  

In this case the OP is supporting Jake.  There are other posters who continue to suggest Jake is not playing well, while pointing out other guys drafted after Jake who (in their opinion) are better.  What's that called?  IMO that goes beyond discussion and enters another territory.

I've clearly accepted that Jake is playing now like a top six power forward.  I've also accepting that JB has build a very strong team that has a bright future.  It's okay to be wrong on our opinions.  I would think a true Canack's fan, who is critical of our players or team management, would want to be proven wrong.  That means our players and team is really good, right?  

No I agree with you having a right to your opinion..... so as long as you agree with me having the right to my own. 

Let's practice what were preaching eh?

• Cheers 2

I can see both Jake and Ferland both as streaky players. Confidence (or lack there of) for both personalities will provide a roller coaster of performances. They both need a stabilizer like Bo on their line, with Jake in particular as he's night and day from a few games ago.

Really think he belongs with Bo and Ferland/ pearson until Rouss comes back in the fold. That I would love to see.

Hit- hit again- and again....-pass-shoot - score...

• Cheers 1

It's obvious that what Jake really needed is to play with a guy like Ferland to round out his game.

At the very least to have someone on the roster who can relate to challenges he faces in taking his game to the next level. Also to have a someone who can give instant feedback and work together with him in real time. 

He's taking the next step with someone instead of bouncing around on his own. Imo, Ferland's presence on the team is helping Jake find his role and value.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It makes for fun discussion to have differing views.  However, when a poster refuses to accept that their views are proven wrong (by the player's improved play, like with Jake) then what's that?  

In this case the OP is supporting Jake.  There are other posters who continue to suggest Jake is not playing well, while pointing out other guys drafted after Jake who (in their opinion) are better.  What's that called?  IMO that goes beyond discussion and enters another territory.

I've clearly accepted that Jake is playing now like a top six power forward.  I've also accepting that JB has build a very strong team that has a bright future.  It's okay to be wrong on our opinions.  I would think a true Canack's fan, who is critical of our players or team management, would want to be proven wrong.  That means our players and team is really good, right?  

How "This thread sucks" adds to a discussion I don't see.

In response to the rest, true the team is much better this year but this is not the team you will see next year, the screwed up cap will require trades. Next year or two will see the Canucks in the same position as cup winning Chicago, Washington and contender Tampa, squeezed by the cap without having any of those team's successes.

This is a one time all out effort to make the playoffs, next year up to 10 players will need a contract increase and this team is already committed to10 mil in bonuses, and claw backs. They have already buried 6 mil in the minors and have had 6 mil watching games. And some fans blame the owner, shame on them. In order to keep this group even close to staying will require trading away the future, attaching draft picks or top prospects to Benning elephant contracts. Benning's team has 4 draft picks on it after 7 drafts.

The season is early, this is the best schedule the team has had in decades, maybe ever. the team looks like it could make a dent in the playoffs, if they make it but the future? Only if the cap is removed otherwise I see 4 to 6 players moving on somehow.

IMO Jake's big problem was team hype, selling him as this ferocious hitter, the team got locked into this idea and refused to bend even after shoulder injuries, now Jake can just go out and play. He has always been good defensively and has suffered through repeated humiliations in the media from the coach or other "team" people that apparently only people in the public media noted that he was treated different than the vets, Eriksson could do no wrong but Goldy and Jake played looking at the bench as much as the ice.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Torts said:

I’m not complaining, you haven’t read the OP. 

Like everyone else.

Ffs.

I read it over a couple of times. If you expect people to read it, you should make an effort to be less rambling and much more coherent. 

I agree with most of what you say about Jake, but with respect to Petey, the idea of him being over coached and under utilized is just plain silly. Do you have any specifics to share on this point?

I'm not criticizing your opinion on Jake. 

I'm wondering why start another thread on Jake, when there is one that already exists. Don't take it personally, just my thoughts, like you say. 

And by the way, it's Juolevi :) 

Peace 

• Thanks 1

I corrected myself later in the thread there 

Lol. 
First off, I read the whole post.      Didn’t make it any better.  

Petterson has 14 points in 11 games.  
How is he being stifled? 

Jake is playing top 6 and doing just fine.  

Ferland is picking up and just fine as well, and no one expected the playoff form, much younger Ferland.  That’s just silly.  

• Upvote 2

Reading the OP fully; this is basically incoherent, rambling mess of a thread. 

You think Ferland has unfairly been getting more opportunities, despite getting bumped down the line-up and playing less than 10 minutes a night, versus Jake who has been moved to the top line and has been playing quite well the last few games? 

Edited by HerrDrFunk

3 hours ago, cyoung said:

We're off to a fantastic start, why are you complaining lol... Jake's been solid, Ferland is starting to turn up too. What is the point of this thread.

It’s a “Blow some JV steam” thread...a lot of us fans have been both patient and frustrated on that pick - he’s one of the original JB next core picks and hasn’t made it easy on us.   Not showing up in camp this year in the type of shape Green wanted - and after two guys were signed to play in the top 1-9 ... you’d think he’d train his heart out.   Of course that’s only a small thing in a long string of small thinks that haven’t gone right with him.   Despite all this he’s still a fan favourite (watching him play can be a real treat at times) and is exactly at the right age to either break out or not. 

So far he looks great with Bo - that line has been hard to contain.  Look forward to seeing what else he has in store for us .... could it be this is the real version of JB we’ve all been waiting for?!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

This is a one time all out effort to make the playoffs, next year up to 10 players will need a contract increase and this team is already committed to10 mil in bonuses, and claw backs. They have already buried 6 mil in the minors and have had 6 mil watching games. And some fans blame the owner, shame on them. In order to keep this group even close to staying will require trading away the future, attaching draft picks or top prospects to Benning elephant contracts. Benning's team has 4 draft picks on it after 7 drafts.

I don't see 10 players that need contracts next season.  Tanev, Stech, Baer, Fantenburg, possibly Leivo and Schaller or Motte will be traded (for prospects/picks or not re-signed.  That leaves Motte or Schaller, Marks, Gaud and Virt.  The farm team has a pretty good crop of elcs coming along, so they will be given opportunities with the parent club.  More than enough salary to upgrade these contracts.

Same goes for the following season; Benn, Sutter, Pearson and possibly Edler will be traded or not resigned.  This is the crucial year for signing big RFAs like Pete, Quinn and Demko.   Buying out Eriksson (1yr- I suspect he may be gone beforehand when he gets his bonus in July) will not be an issue and along with the players leaving, there will be and extra 16m (if they don't re-sign another 6m - which totals 22M).  You can add several million with the cap going up; especially with a new US TV contract being signed.  This management group has staggered the contracts really well.  Once again, there will be more ELCs getting opportunities with the parent club.

Benning has 6 picks on the team after 6 drafts (Pete, Quinn, Boes, Demko, Virt, Gaud and before the end of this season, there may be others).  To be fair, it's far to soon to expect prospects from the '18/19 drafts to be on the team.  I'd say that's a pretty good group of young players.  Many of the later picks are looking to have great potential for getting to the NHL level in the next 1-3 years as well.

Edited by higgyfan
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

It’s a “Blow some JV steam” thread...a lot of us fans have been both patient and frustrated on that pick - he’s one of the original JB next core picks and hasn’t made it easy on us.   Not showing up in camp this year in the type of shape Green wanted - and after two guys were signed to play in the top 1-9 ... you’d think he’d train his heart out.   Of course that’s only a small thing in a long string of small thinks that haven’t gone right with him.   Despite all this he’s still a fan favourite (watching him play can be a real treat at times) and is exactly at the right age to either break out or not. 

So far he looks great with Bo - that line has been hard to contain.  Look forward to seeing what else he has in store for us .... could it be this is the real version of JB we’ve all been waiting for?!

Exactly. He's inconsistent for sure but our transitional game is a big part of the reason our team is doing so well. His north south game is fitting great with what green is going for. It's been a treat watching the boys so far.

I started out thinking this was a great topic.

Then it started looking like my boss' desk at work and all the to do's and sticky notes everywhere.  Half empty cup of coffee that's been there for 4 days in the corner.

It sort of veered off track and I had a hard time keeping up.

Could you summarize?  The last half really lost me (from this point on):

Im torn. We are doing great, but I know these little things do matter. 

Anybody EDUCATED knows what Ferland is bringing to the team.

Everyone else can YouTube the Matthews headshot from a few days ago.    ???????

Jake is the same as we know but hasn’t gotten the lengthy looks with top guys.

Thanks for reading everyone and to those who did, how many points could JV put up alongside Pettersson? 

Note: I do not want a line up change, this is a question, projection of where JV could be based on the opportunities that Ferland got.

Note 2: That’s not a knock on Ferland I love that guy too. 

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

How "This thread sucks" adds to a discussion I don't see.

In response to the rest, true the team is much better this year but this is not the team you will see next year, the screwed up cap will require trades. Next year or two will see the Canucks in the same position as cup winning Chicago, Washington and contender Tampa, squeezed by the cap without having any of those team's successes.

The season is early, this is the best schedule the team has had in decades, maybe ever. the team looks like it could make a dent in the playoffs, if they make it but the future? Only if the cap is removed otherwise I see 4 to 6 players moving on somehow.

IMO Jake's big problem was team hype, selling him as this ferocious hitter, the team got locked into this idea and refused to bend even after shoulder injuries, now Jake can just go out and play. He has always been good defensively and has suffered through repeated humiliations in the media from the coach or other "team" people that apparently only people in the public media noted that he was treated different than the vets, Eriksson could do no wrong but Goldy and Jake played looking at the bench as much as the ice.

Your not seeing the big picture - this year is and adjustment period with the new blood added to it - five different players all in valuable spots.   These “ 10 contracts “ that your talking about - two of them are for our future stars Hughes and EP who look like they only have to shave once a month.  This team is doing well right now BUT the best version of it won’t be on display for three more years, maybe longer.  

Nothing to worry about - yes there will be some more changes - and maybe a couple big contracts handed out too (certainly hope so - JB has done a decent-great job with every single RFA to date if he hands out big money to an RFA he’s definitely earned it )....you take a very critical view of JB with your posts - that’s ok - just be accurate, and well just stop already, what’s happening right now pretty much makes most of you previous posts look silly (JB bashing ) yet you continue to bet against him....I get it, he took some time to gain traction but he’s definitely done it.   Ever think maybe he designed this team to get the picks he wanted - and then move on with things and it wasn’t an “accidental rebuild” as some have stated?  I’m not sure, but the results speak for themselves.   This team we have right now, has the feel of one of the very best we’ve ever had.   Long time fan and don’t get excited very often given what in our household is called “Canuck Luck” (losing to WSH and every bad call ever ha ha) I’m not completely convinced yet - but a bold prediction is we don’t have a losing streak this year that will kill our chances.   And that we win at least one series. 

maybe take a step back and look at things from a more balanced lens that includes what other GMs have managed with their teams over the same span.  

Tree could be coming back and Sutter is just keeping AGs spot warm.   Podz, Hogs, Woo maybe Madden plus are in the wings.  These good teams you mentioned have great depth, and so do we - which is why we have some money “buried in the minors”.    When injuries occur we won’t be icing an AHL team anymore which is great news.  

This is a JV thread yet somehow you’ve managed to turn it into a complaint of sorts.   Life is short when things are going great go with it.  Take what you can as fan when it is happening and right now it is happening 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Not calling you out, just using your post to provide context to mine.

Although EP has 14 points, which I'm loving.... I am concerned that he's not smiling... when he scores, or gets a couple assists, there is no emotion whatsoever in his reactions. I feel like something is missing for him. I don't know if it's the coach, his linemates or something. Almost looks disappointed when he gets results. Is it me? Or are other people noticing this?

meh, peteys never been into celebrating big after a goal, even last year he didnt do it that often.

• Upvote 1