The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks looking to re-sign Markstrom, add top-6 winger before deadline

Rate this topic

naslund.is.king

1 hour ago, Yung1 said:

Looking at our prospect pool, I feel like we can afford to trade a defenseman and/or a winger not named Rathbone or Podkolzin for a Top 6 player. 

Honestly, if the player we're getting back is a legit top-6 27 or younger and not a rental, I'd be fine with parting with Podkolzin as well. 

I expect a few to disagree but with Hughes, Petey, Boeser, and Bo on ELC's/ reasonable contracts, we should be pushing to open our cup window now. I think Benning realizes that.

you mean go for the cup this year?   sorry  we  are just not quite  there yet . but   in 2 years time , oh ya we will be.  We will have  podi being on elc and other supporting  players on elc or value contracts rounding into form  like hoglander  Rathbone madden and others .Then add guys that are being seasoned in Utica like  teves rafferty  lind gadjovich big mac  Di pierto  plus add in this year draft pool .In two years time  we will definitely have a large window for several runs at the cup

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Signing Marky makes a lot of sense. There's still all of this season and next to play and to worry about Seattle, a lot of things can happen between now and then. 

You have to wonder whats in the works for another "top 6" winger trade.... if not another 1st round pick then someone we picked in the 1st round must be on the table. 

It would most likely be a prospect or two and a roster player to balance out the salary.  I could see one of our defencemen being moved in order to get a forward.  Stecher is a candidate on the active roster.  Not sure who Benning would have in mind prospect wise.

I think with Demko's most recent concussion it is imperative we sign Marky to a long term deal.  He's a proven #1 goalie in this league.  If Demko is lights out next year then a decision will have to be made.  But at this point Demko has not even proven he's a bonafide starter in the NHL yet, so signing Marky long term makes total sense.  As Benning stated there is lots of time to figure it all out.  Also depends on DiPietro's development.  If he shows by end of next year he can play in the big leagues then moving Demko becomes a lot easier.  I don't like the fact that Demko is getting concussions in practice.  It could derail his career.  Signing Marky long term is an absolute must now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

OP, this isn’t on you but whoever wrote that article for The Score did so in a very misleading way.  

They talk about both top 6 winger and Demko in one paragraph and then quote Jim as saying “Yes, we’re definitely interested” when he’s clearly only talking about Demko.  

No way in hell we’re getting another top 6 winger this season, quote me on it! 

As  I recall and please correct me if I'm wrong in the expansion you must include players with NTC in your list. Lou Ericksson for instance. So what will determine the who goes and who stay in the next contract. Markstrom is UFA this summer and Demko RFA the following year. IF DiPietro has made strides I don't like the look of Demko's chnaces. I think you can only loose one player ( ? ) in the expansion That would protect other prospects. Markstrom I would think will be active until he's 34/35. Set the clock

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

OP, this isn’t on you but whoever wrote that article for The Score did so in a very misleading way.  

They talk about both top 6 winger and Demko in one paragraph and then quote Jim as saying “Yes, we’re definitely interested” when he’s clearly only talking about Demko.  

No way in hell we’re getting another top 6 winger this season, quote me on it! 

yep I cant see it either unless jimbo pulls off a Christmas miracle  and manages to trade one of loui sutter or beagle and then thank you Baby Jesus  

3 hours ago, xereau said:

Benning would be smart to offer Marky decent money for a ONE year deal.

One year 5.5-6mill next season.

What this will do, is make it so that he is not eligible for the expansion draft (doesn't have a contract for 20/21 with any team).

This gives the team one more year to evaluate Demko long term, and only have to protect 1 goalie in the draft.

Then give Marky a 3-4 year deal, if he maintains his last year's numbers through this, and next season.

That's what I was thinking....offer him$11M if there's room.

Sign him again the year after.

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It would most likely be a prospect or two and a roster player to balance out the salary.  I could see one of our defencemen being moved in order to get a forward.  Stecher is a candidate on the active roster.  Not sure who Benning would have in mind prospect wise.

yeah its hard to say.... all depends on the quality of the top 6. 

4 hours ago, xereau said:

Benning would be smart to offer Marky decent money for a ONE year deal.

One year 5.5-6mill next season.

What this will do, is make it so that he is not eligible for the expansion draft (doesn't have a contract for 20/21 with any team).

This gives the team one more year to evaluate Demko long term, and only have to protect 1 goalie in the draft.

Then give Marky a 3-4 year deal, if he maintains his last year's numbers through this, and next season.

He'd be a magician if he could pull that off.

Bonus points if he can get Kreider to sign in FA.  

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

As  I recall and please correct me if I'm wrong in the expansion you must include players with NTC in your list. Lou Ericksson for instance. So what will determine the who goes and who stay in the next contract. Markstrom is UFA this summer and Demko RFA the following year. IF DiPietro has made strides I don't like the look of Demko's chnaces. I think you can only loose one player ( ? ) in the expansion That would protect other prospects. Markstrom I would think will be active until he's 34/35. Set the clock

I am almost certain you are wrong it’s only those with full NMC. Louie doesn’t need to be protected with his modified NTC.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2