The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So, you’re a fan. But why the Canucks?

Rate this topic

_Henrik_

Why?.....I was born in the same hospital as Wendel Clarke in 56.  However we moved to the BC southern interior when I was 5 months old. I became a huge Lions fan in 63 after my best friends parents got one of the first TV’s in town (Joe and Willie were awesome). It was just natural after that to be a Canucks fan when they arrived in the League in 1970. 

I thank my lucky stars we moved to BC or I would have suffered even more as I would have been a Melon Head and a Leafs fan. :o

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, what ever you prefer. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I was born in Thunder Bay Ontario. Dads side lives in Toronto, Mother is from BC. Moved to lower mainland as a baby. Grew up watching WCE as child and Sedins progressing into elite players. Was young though and dad tried to get me to watch more Leafs Funny enough I started watching the Habs more so because I was a huge Carey Price fan. Also love Shea Weber bc we share first name. Went from bandwagoner to hardcore fan when they got Luongo. He became my favourite player and I started playing goalie after that. 

Born as an Ontario kid, raised BC boy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My sister introduced me to hockey and I used to watch  BCTV and CBC's broadcast in Fort st John with rabbit ears and tin foil. I started to listen to Jim Robson when games were not televised. 

Tony Tanti and Patrik Sundstrom in the 80's were my favourites. Then Trevor Linden and Pavel Bure in the 90's.

I moved to Alberta for 12 years and Toronto for 2 but always chose canucks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dad moves here in 82 when he was 8 or 9 and has been watching since. Grew up in a pretty big hockey family, uncles, cousins all big hockey fans. Some of them been watching the Nucks since day one, 80s and 90s. Been watching for as long as I can remember.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Did you know that Curt Fraser's fist goes from the top of your forehead to the bottom of your chin? Second biggest hands next to Howe's.

Like a freaking eclipse of the sun...and then there was only darkness :)

• Haha 3

-10th oldest team in the league

-the canucks aren't original six but they are second six by default ( golden seals and north stars don't exist anymore and merged into 1 franchise that changed its name)

- In my life the way the canucks have been  able to always reinvent/reinvigorate the franchise no matter what is amazing.(bure era-->west coast express era--> Sedin era-->lotto  boys era. 

-since the last time a canadian franchise won the cup, canucks have been the cream of the crop of canadian franchises. 

- hometown team

-diversity of the fanbase, whether you're brown, black, yellow or white, we come together and bleed blue and green. its magical watching this.

-everytime theres a trade or big name free agent. were involved in it. the entertainment value of being a fan is there

I can't explain it. Its hard to show anybody right now, our souls were shattered 8 years ago and a lot of us haven't been able to put ourselves back together since then but we will eventually, we're fragile right now. 

Welcome to the canucks.

Being a sailing hockey loving Dane, I had the good fortune to spend almost a year in Vancouver in 2005-2006 half of the time (winter season) alongside Canada Place. The locals had a nick name for our vessel, which was a blue cable laying vessel, but don’t remember it...

Anyway, got tickets center ice for a preseason game against Oilers, which Nux won 6-2 i believe. I was sold on Canucks from that day. For that year I went as often, as I could, to GM place. Tickets were $50 on the street so it was affordable. Totally fell in love with the city, the team and the locals. 
Went to the local pubs around town to watch the away games as well as the home games, I couldn’t get to. 
Magic times...  :)

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Despite growing up on the border that separated Flames fans and Oilers fans, I never cared for Albertan hockey as my father was and remains a big Habs fan. With no built in loyalty at home, I remember falling in love with Markus Naslund and the WCE and from then I never looked back. This was long before I knew that I would live in the city itself for at least a decade and counting.