The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Flames, December 29, 2019 - 6:30 PM PST -- HNY Edition

Rate this topic

therodigy

33 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It annoys the he!! out of me when a team like that hems the Canucks in their own zone repeatedly.  :blink:

This 'stand still and clog up the lanes' strategy seems like a recent change to me. I don't recall the team playing like that earlier in the year. Perhaps they're trying to save wear and tear on the boys so they don't burn out down the stretch like last year? I dunno, but hanging your goaltender  out to dry night after night isn't a winning strategy either.  Marky can only take so much before he gets burned out or injured. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I will say Loui has been playing well lately though 

Roussel and Miller need help playing the body. That part of the game is the most wearing on the big forwards. 

Plus we're still missing Ferland's influence.

No offense to Eriksson but the chemistry is to add a more physical player to support our young stars. ESP if it gets rough and dirty.

We have a lot of help for the PK

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Let's go Canucks!!

Thought about going to the game, but I have decided to stay home with my Bacardi rum mixture, PVR both games and watch commercial free starting with the Seahawk game.

Let's go Canucks!

I want to see more possession style entries...especially Horvat driving wide and dropping it to his mate, who returns the pass, and Bo passing cross crease to the mate driving the net for a tap in....or variations of the attack triangle. If only Bo knew to do this, he would be setting up so many goals because he has the speed and ability to drive the dman back and wide and make the pass....haven't seen much of that from Bo lately.

I remember last time Flames beat the Canucks at home, Riddich stood on his head because a lot of play was on the perimeter and the Canucks did not get Riddich to move lateral or get him to think about the guy driving the net. The Canucks need to attack in the above manner to get Riddich to move lateral.

If Bo drives wide and sets up his mates, Bo will have a HUGE game. Come on Bo...Let's go!

Isn't watching TV without the commercials illegal? 

I am doing the same PVR thing. Both Lynch and Virtanen hitting the line. Nice warm fire, good to go. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You need to wake up and smell the coffee. Babs is NOT the answer for this team. 

I think you need to look at the context of posts so as to not look like the fool

It was a joke in response to another fire the coach joke

15 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

I hope we get a point outta this one. The flames have been good and we’re playing a back to back.

the Canucks have been just as good, they sit a point ahead of us and we still have a game in hand.  they have a 1 game streak going and we have a 4 game streak. I hope we get 2 points GO CANUCKS GO!!! POSITIVE THOUGHTS:canucks:

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Horvat really needs some decent line mates. If the current trend continues this will be the first season of his career where he has regressed in the points department.  

Why isn't LE on the 3rd line? Put Jake with EP40/JT and move Boeser on to Bo's line. While you're at it maybe promote Rousell and move Pearson down a line. It would look like this;

Miller-Petterson-Virtanen

Rousell-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Gaud-Erickson

You know Virt will work his a$$ off to stay on that line and he can use his size and speed to  recover pucks so it isn't on Petterson all the time.  Horvat had good chemistry with both  Rousell and  Boeser last season and IMO this combo would make for 2 very dangerous lines instead of just having the Lotto Line as the only real threat. 

After watching yesterday's game, I was wondering if they should swap Horvat and Gaudette for a game.

Roussel  Horvat  Virtanen

Pearson  Gaudette  someone else (sigh...Loui)

Maybe Roussel could get Horvat going offensively a bit.

1 hour ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

That goes for life too!   Life will pass you by and finally, you will be complaining to the nurse at the senior home.

Nope you can't expect the goalies to keep up the pace and they will never go deep in the playoffs playing defense the way they do , don't forget playoff hockey is always different than regular season.

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Horvat really needs some decent line mates. If the current trend continues this will be the first season of his career where he has regressed in the points department.  

Why isn't LE on the 3rd line? Put Jake with EP40/JT and move Boeser on to Bo's line. While you're at it maybe promote Rousell and move Pearson down a line. It would look like this;

Miller-Petterson-Virtanen

Rousell-Horvat-Boeser

Pearson-Gaud-Erickson

You know Virt will work his a$$ off to stay on that line and he can use his size and speed to  recover pucks so it isn't on Petterson all the time.  Horvat had good chemistry with both  Rousell and  Boeser last season and IMO this combo would make for 2 very dangerous lines instead of just having the Lotto Line as the only real threat. 

Gaudette roussel and virtanen are showing great chemistry. Same with schaller motte and beagle and of course the lotto line.

Eriksson is just a butt warmer for now. Horvat plays smart enough that whoever is on his line at the very least they wont be a liability.

I wouldn't mix up the lines anymore until there is another Injury or someone comes back 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

This 'stand still and clog up the lanes' strategy seems like a recent change to me. I don't recall the team playing like that earlier in the year. Perhaps they're trying to save wear and tear on the boys so they don't burn out down the stretch like last year? I dunno, but hanging your goaltender  out to dry night after night isn't a winning strategy either.  Marky can only take so much before he gets burned out or injured. 

Good points but I guess, if this trend is to continue then we will find out what Markstrom is really capable off; hopefully, it will also give the team, the necessary information whether he is worth signing long term or not.  Well paid or core players (there will always be exception) , especially, in contract years should be pushed in my opinion.

Edited by ShawnAntoski