The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Columbus 4:00 pm l Sunday, March 1, 2020

Rate this topic

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Demko or Domingue doesn't really matter. The Canucks need to play better D. It's apparent, the value of Markstrom for this team. Without him they're probably not a playoff team. I know it's only been a few games straight for Demko, but every point is so important this time of year and they're slowly sliding. IMO the Canucks need to play with speed and grit right out of the gates and get a lead. I mean, play like you want it. If they allow CBJ to dictate the play early and set up for scoring chances, well, it's a tough way to start a game, behind early and having to play catch up.

Not sure what's wrong with Pettersson, but he looks tired and frustrated. Is he missing Boeser? He needs to stop trying to draw penalties every shift and get his confidence back up by keeping it simple, trying to get open and shooting. Why he's the one battling in front of the opposition's net (and getting some hefty cross-checks in the back) is beyond me. Meanwhile, a rested MacEwen and now Bailey are available as the games get more gritty and physical, and he's got Loui on the top line. What are you doing Travis? 

I agree with everything you said.  But on this point, I am getting almost as pissed as Petey on his non-calls. One can say he needs to "get open and shoot" more but if he is hooked and tripped and cross-checked with no calls, I can see his frustration.  There may come a time when he does just throw his hands up and say "what's the point?" in trying to make an awesome deke around and "learn" to simplify his game because of ref game management not wanting to call every penalty. But that's sad for the game. I say if a player is quick enough, smart enough, talented enough to deke around and stick handle through 2 or 3 players, and gets hauled down, it should be a penalty.  Otherwise eventually, everyone plays the same "simple" game. We are becoming a league where all players are being conditioned to be jack of all trades and masters at none.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

We got no picks anyways, it doesnt matter if we can acquire picks, we would need to trade assets to get them. 

Point is, WE CANNOT miss the playoffs.

not so.

this season has a built in silver lining

miss the playoff gat a 1st round pick

it is genious really

27 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I like we are not in tank mode but that said our improved roster is not reflective of how we are organized on the ice 

IMO, I think you’ve finally framed your infamous bent in a way that won’t ruffle the feathers of the flock. Your statement alone should be enough to invite rational discussion. Best of luck. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

IMO, I think you’ve finally framed your infamous bent in a way that won’t ruffle the feathers of the flock. Your statement alone should be enough to invite rational discussion. Best of luck. 

The biggest thing for me is to have all players play a responsible system....yes system 

but set a game plan that lets offensive players wheel instead of a vanilla system that takes all players and shoehorns them into what most are not 

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I feel for Bo. He’s captain of a team that seems to have players of varying levels of commitment to the cause. There’s no doubting his commitment to the long term goals of the team, but I do doubt others. 

True. And is forced to carry LE when he should be having a banner year with Tafoli, Jake, or even Gaudette but saddled with a defensive forward who will not even hit his per usual 10 goal mark.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I agree with everything you said.  But on this point, I am getting almost as pissed as Petey on his non-calls. One can say he needs to "get open and shoot" more but if he is hooked and tripped and cross-checked with no calls, I can see his frustration.  There may come a time when he does just throw his hands up and say "what's the point?" in trying to make an awesome deke around and "learn" to simplify his game because of ref game management not wanting to call every penalty. But that's sad for the game. I say if a player is quick enough, smart enough, talented enough to deke around and stick handle through 2 or 3 players, and gets hauled down, it should be a penalty.  Otherwise eventually, everyone plays the same "simple" game. We are becoming a league where all players are being conditioned to be jack of all trades and masters at none.

if he gets to that point, he shouldn't be in the league anymore.  Every elite player has to learn to play through that.

4 hours ago, lmm said:

not so.

this season has a built in silver lining

miss the playoff gat a 1st round pick

it is genious really

I thought picks weren’t worth much. ;)

... Better consult the ‘Genius’ on display in the Miller trade thread. 

Yup, thread consensus: :rolleyes:
“Late first rounders are definitely not much of a commodity” and thus the pick in question shouldn’t be viewed as a genius move. 

Bipolar CDC.

... all facetiousness aside, who doesn’t love the idea of JB at the podium with another late first rounder?  

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Stick. Throat. Problem solved, and all it costs is a couple mins in the sinbin.

Or a viscious flying elbow ala Bure.

I won't complain if it happens.

To be fair to Petey, Bure had Gino covering his back.  Would make ANYBODY grow a set of of balls.  Even a gutless (but greedy) coward like me!

The Canucks lead the league in power plays by an embarrassing amount and as the playoffs loom closer the refs are not being as free with calls but the Canucks have lived and are now dying by the power play or lack of one.

The Canucks go to the ice today less than 24 hours after the last game, they play a team with half an AHL team disguised as a NHL squad though.

This is a bad thing.The half an AHL squad.

Torts will have them bleeding to make an impact on the game and impact might be what the Canucks face, an angry desperate team filled with fast hard hitters making an impact.

Both teams are staggering a bit and Columbus has home ice advantage not that Torts was that much of a match up guy but he does play his stars to death so every other shift Dubois might be on the ice, Columbus's 1rst round pick from the 2015 draft.

I think these are getting to the "must win" area because it is possible if they lose today the next game they play they will not even be in a playoff spot. Getting tight.

Tank? No if they fail to make the playoffs this draft is so deep even a 10 to 15 pick will have pretty good odds of making the team, if there is a spot available next season.

But there is still time, a bit.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

The biggest thing for me is to have all players play a responsible system....yes system 

but set a game plan that lets offensive players wheel instead of a vanilla system that takes all players and shoehorns them into what most are not 

The shoot from anywhere as soon as you can system? 

Shot totals look great though... all those “chances”. 

A pessimist might conclude that TG was building-in leading KPIs to insulate his hot seat. 

I like the 2-1-2 forecheck, but the massive gap, once blamed on Guddy, etc. in here, between the D and the transition/outlet still makes me shake my head.

Most games you can actually see that seam strategically exposed, but not much is said on here about it.

I invite those who know what I mean, and it’s not asking for much, to take a look at what Tortz does to that gap tonight the second Columbus takes possession in their D or N zone. Luckily some of their better D are out tonight. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

True. And is forced to carry LE when he should be having a banner year with Tafoli, Jake, or even Gaudette but saddled with a defensive forward who will not even hit his per usual 10 goal mark.

Eriksson sucks. He’s useless at both ends. End of discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

if he gets to that point, he shouldn't be in the league anymore.  Every elite player has to learn to play through that.

but they don't have to always play thru it. if they should have to then whats the point of having refs . I feel for Petey, and I can see sometimes the refs look the other way. this is why there are so many great players injured this year and it is wrong.

2 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Post image

Loui Eriksson had 1 productive game in February. 

Why is it that I only see minuses and zeroes? Yep, looks like top 6 material to me and I think I see a hot streak in there as well. :lol:

• Haha 2