The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Mar. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Wilfred said:

He did shorten the bench. Hughes only shift in the last 10 minutes of that game was when the Canucks were down 4-3. 

Hughes played over 18 minutes tonight on a back to back , maybe he was a little banged up and exhausted

2 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Criticizing is fine, being patronizing makes him a douche canoe. His attitude toward the club changed the day the broadcast rights went to 650

I don't know man I listen to him frequently and don't get that impression at all. You can't just have homer media members.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

the To PGT just blamed Demko 

this one is dealing with the issue the Canucks are the real problem as a whole there is a flaw in this team

I believe there is only one flaw at this time, we need to fix that flaw the re-evaluate where we stand.

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

Totally.

Holy freaking relax people.

These are growing pains.

Greene isn't going anywhere.

When we go on a run to close out the season while getting healthy and surging into the first round, all these doomsayers will be wearing egg.

These guys are pros. Put it behind you and get ready for the next game. That's hockey.

I don't believe in make a change for a sake of change that said even I believe Green needs to be replace for this team to take the next step

Just now, canuck2288 said:

We have Hughes and Myers over last year and a red hot Marky yet the same goals allowed as last year 

reason? 

coaching 

Myers is dog sh*t at his pricetag. He's a third pairing defender. I told y'all that before he even came here, been watching the guy since he played for the Rockets. I don't like Green but it's not his fault half the D-men we have can't make plays under pressure, turn the puck over non stop and struggle to make even the simplest of passes. Not to mention bring absolutely zero to the table offensively. We have 3 top 4 d-men and Tyler Myers isn't one of them. Stecher and Fantenburg are not NHL level defenders on a contending team. You can polish a turd all you want, it's still a turd.

That's fine if you don't like Green, but don't try to tell me this defense is good. It's not capable of playing at the level of it's opposition which is why whenever other teams make a push, they usually score unless Markstrom is standing on his head.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yawn. 

The posters who got the confused face have. Maybe mind your business next time. 

Again show me where I accept poor coaching because I don't, I’ll wait. I'm just not going to call for his head ad nauseam. Not that hard of a concept to understand. 

Haha passive aggressive partner.

Green hears what the fan base says.  Calling him out on his poor coaching decisions is useful. He needs to grow as a coach or he ain't gonna cut it.

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Green developed Hughes? Not a chance.hughes hit the ground running. How is that remotely related to Green 

In fact I feel he has impeded jakes development my continually messing with him

Hughes has improved defensively over the season; one would expect coaching to have at least a little to do with it.  Jake's also a much harder worker and a 200 foot player now, who takes fewer bad penalties.  The tough love approach works with Jake, as frustrating as it can be to watch.  I know you don't like the guy, but a lot of young teams have their prospects stagnate at the NHL level, and we've avoided that under Green.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  But then you can't expect them to be more than secondary scoring when they're getting bottom 6 minutes.

If Gaud rounded out his game time would increase because he'd be a PKer and could be used more in a match up role. If Virtanen upped his physicality or became a checker it would be hard not to play him or a 3rd line with a rounded out Gaud a lot.

It would make us become less dependent on the 4th line bringing in that checking play. We could then bring in more physical players that give us energy and bite.

They both could put up 40 points this year on the 3rd line and they are getting more sheltered minutes. If they don't have to be sheltered anymore the icetime would jump and their production probably would too.

They'd both get 15+ minutes more consistently.

• Cheers 1

This team is a weak when things don't go their way - look at games against Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa and Columbus this year  - BIG collapses under pressure. These collapses are almost surreal  - how it is possible you can give 5+ goals in ONE period or 4 goals in 8 minutes.

When things go right, everyone is contributing - when things go wrong, they simply melt because no one wants to take control. Though different sport, look at the KC Chiefs this year when they were down in SBowl or by 24+ pts in earlier games, no panic + just need to make adjustments? How often do you see our team come back from large deficits?  Team has good talent but problem seems to be a confidence mindset when things go wrong - most likely will be a couple years before they learn how to win. 

One thing I do hope is that the coaching staff do not simply just park this game and think of the next one (happens too often) - Learn + study from this experience - don't just forget it - geez. Good individual talent but maybe not ready for the big time just yet IMO.

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

Hughes played over 18 minutes tonight on a back to back , maybe he was a little banged up and exhausted

Should have been back in after the 3-2 goal then, what are we resting him up for, the golf season?

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Leafs were in a more dire situation and everyone knew it. Marner was a RFA and had to be signed.

We don't have to re-sign anyone big and can let guys go, which would not be good but it is still not nearly as dire as signing a Marner who could sign an offer-sheet.

That said I do think we will have to give up assets but not as bad as the Leafs.

Who do we let go? We have 18m in cap next year. 
Marky 7m

Tanev 5m

Virtanen 3m at least

Thats 15m right there. Is Toffoli going to take 3m? Are we just going to let our best defensive d-man and best goalie walk when our biggest problem is allowing goals?

We shouldn't fire Green when we are still in the playoff race.

We thoroughly outplayed Columbus most of the game. It's not his fault Roussel took a boneheaded penalty.

Edited by NaveJoseph

2 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

I saw an post game interview with JT... Where is the interview with our CAPTAIN Horvat?  He should be the first player available and interviewed after a loss like this... A road trip like this.  Maybe he was?  I want to see what he has to say.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Green is so arrogant with the media, they are asking the same thing fans are 

so he isn’t accountable? 

what has he ever accomplished? torts has the accomplishments to dress down the media, Babs has the accomplishments 

green you have zero accomplishments so I wouldn’t act like you are all that in front of the media.

Just comes across as a guy with zero answers, because .. he has zero answers 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

14 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Did you not get enough praise as a child? Every day you post how great your hockey mind is like you need acknowledgement. We get it, you want Green fired but calling him an 'incompetent fool' is a little rich considering that fool has a resume that dwarfs yours.

Fans aren't privy to all of the information. On the surface, yeah Gallant seems like a good coach but it is also fishy that he has been fired from 2 teams with winning records and 1 a year after going to the SCF.

10 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I would take winning with a fishy record instead never winning with Green 

that includes Babs and gallant 

I am not in the running so lose the “he is more experienced than you” line 

did I play? Yes L. did I play at a level higher than you? Most likely but I am not looking for a coaching job not did I say I was 

I have educated opinions and I make them 

deal with it 

Two words: reading comprehension. I get that you're heated after a bad loss. You can have another read above, I never said you didn't play, but assuming you haven't played in the NHL, Green's resume dwarfs yours and that's a fact. So you calling an NHL coach and former NHL player incompetent is a little laughable. We are all incompetent in comparison to these guys.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

How do we know he isn't behind closed doors?

Yes to this. Holy people are thick. I can't believe the reactions some give to media scrums. Our media are notoriously brutal for stirring the pot. Granted ignoring JPat is a bit of a weak move even though that guy is one of the worst, total tool. But people need to realize that we don't see the 'locker room Green'. He is required to do media availability so it is more or less PG rated lip service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Haha passive aggressive partner.

Green hears what the fan base says.  Calling him out on his poor coaching decisions is useful. He needs to grow as a coach or he ain't gonna cut it.

He has grown as a coach the team has to catch up now. As well as some of the fanbase evidently. 

And passive aggressive like name dropping me but being to chicken to quote and tag me? 

1 minute ago, on the cycle said:

I don't know man I listen to him frequently and don't get that impression at all. You can't just have homer media members.

I agree with the second sentence...but we will agree to disagree on the first. I may be a bit biased against JPat because I find the 1040 station as a whole tries to be too antagonistic towards the team since they lost the broadcast rights. I used to listen all day at work, etc....but in the past few years, I only listen on the drive home to hear Ferraro and/or other guests, then flip over to music.

• Cheers 1