The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets | Mar. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

15 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

They can still make the playoffs, they only have to win about more 10 games or so.

Last week after beating BOS, there were talks around the town cruising through the rest of the season playing .500 hockey and still making the playoffs.

4 games later, we now must win like 10 out of the remaining 17 remaining games to earn a wildcard spot. The opponents? How about Coyotes 3 times, Knights twice, Avalanche twice and Jets, Lightning and Flames sprinkled in between. Wanna take a guess how many of those games we'll win?

This disastrous eastern road trip pretty much sealed their fate. They shot themselves in both feet playing lackadaisically either at the beginning or in the end.

Edited by 1-d

Just now, rychicken said:

Every once in awhile, a coach can do it publicly... sometimes a coach will do it indirectly "oh, i don't know, you'll have to ask them", etc

It wouldn't surprise me if we are one more poor performance away from that...

I'm not a fan of the practice, and Green doesn't seem to be either.  I'm all for a coach that has the players' backs.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

When you call the coach an incompetent fool you deserve to be questioned about it. Also it is painfully obvious Green is getting the full year to see what he can do with his team. So calling for his head  every game is tiring at best. Especially when those posters arguments are weak at best. 

And surely there's no baiting on the Fire Green camp. None at all... lol

We can’t afford this full year man 

we spent a pick on Toffoli 

why not make a move and go for broke? 

beats the same old doesn’t it? 

18 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

They had problems closing the third for a while. Got better before Marky got injured. Now they are back again. 

A couple nights to regroup before next home game. 

Got some games in hand on Flames. 

This ain't over at all.  

Ya not over by any means but the way our team playing I'm concerned about it.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

When you call the coach an incompetent fool you deserve to be questioned about it. Also it is painfully obvious Green is getting the full year to see what he can do with his team. So calling for his head  every game is tiring at best. Especially when those posters arguments are weak at best. 

And surely there's no baiting on the Fire Green camp. None at all... lol

I’m going for the bait and switch.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well when you don't correct things that cause losses. That would be incompetent wouldn't it?

That would be on the players to execute which they have not this week. Blaming the coach at this point is weak. 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Idk about firing Green. The coach doesn't go on the ice. That was a young team choking away a game. 

I'm wondering more about Benning's future, potentially 5 years without playoffs & they mortgaged the future to make it this year. The cap situation is coming home to roost & it doesn't seem to be getting any better for next year.

Green isn't going anywhere this year. If Benning stays, I wonder if firing Green would be a somewhat Torts-like last resort move, as JB's job would almost certainly be riding on next year.

If Benning is gone, who knows if a new GM would want to keep Green around. I like Green but its hard to defend this passive defensive structure. You could see early in the year it would be problematic.

Good points 

the tough thing is bringing in a third coach under Benning. Benning made 2 really bad hires 

but he also restocked our pipeline, I let him fire green 

Just a slump. 

Maybe season defining, maybe not.
I know we are all buying into the whole doomsday effect right now but these types of meltdowns and bad runs of play happen to most teams a bunch of times per season.

Stil plenty of time to string some wins together. We are still in it. Hope for a return from the sick bay of Marky and Boeser.

Get home and get back to work boys.

Time to stick together. I'm saving this post for the GDT of the first game of the first round of this years playoff.

GCG!

Edited by bad alice french

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Yes, why wait, we still have a chance this year.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

No room for either of Virt or Gaud in the top 6 if we re-sign TT.

We're a better team if they are in the bottom 6(3rd line) and we surround them with better bottom 6 players than Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson, etc. 

Also if someone goes down they're there to step up. It would be great depth.

They need to round out their games a bit more though. They're still young.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Idk about firing Green. The coach doesn't go on the ice. That was a young team choking away a game. 

I'm wondering more about Benning's future, potentially 5 years without playoffs & they mortgaged the future to make it this year. The cap situation is coming home to roost & it doesn't seem to be getting any better for next year.

Green isn't going anywhere this year. If Benning stays, I wonder if firing Green would be a somewhat Torts-like last resort move, as JB's job would almost certainly be riding on next year.

If Benning is gone, who knows if a new GM would want to keep Green around. I like Green but its hard to defend this passive defensive structure. You could see early in the year it would be problematic.

Except it wasn't the young guns losing it late it was the Veterans. Sutter and Roussell taking penalties late and Hughes only played one shift in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd and that was after the 4-3 goal.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

He gets the full year it's the first year of competing after the rebuild. Firing him now makes ZERO sense. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That would be on the players to execute which they have not this week. Blaming the coach at this point is weak. 

He's keeps putting Myers and Fantenberg on the ice together and they are bleeding goals. He refused to change his lineup after the Ottawa game. That is coaching. Sorry.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We can re-sign Toffoli if we trade out some players that have been useless for us or have too much cap.

Sutter, Baer, Roussel, Eriksson. They all need to go anyway. We need more grittier players there and have enough defenders. At some point Virtanen and especially Gaud are gonna need to be more than secondary scorers. In Gaud's case he needs to develop that checking side.

The players you listed have 0 value in a trade. It’s easy to say trade these guys and get cap space, but if it was like that every contending team would do it. the leafs had to trade their 1st away to dump cap. Are you suggesting we do the same?