The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Islanders at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 10, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

The price for Tyler Toffoli keeps going up. If he keeps up his current pace for the last 13 games then some GM out there will offer him $7m x 6yrs. My guesses at the most aggressive suitors are Bergevin, Guerin and Sakic (Botterill and Poile as dark horses). Can JB afford that kind of contract?

If they make the PO's, sign him before the season's up. If he'll take a deal similar to Bo's, JT's(or even Brock's shorter term).

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I think we ought to focus on locking up Marky and TT first. Hopefully one of the prospects step up and replace one of the 7’s.  

Myers is here to stay. That contract is locked in. His mobility is crap but his size and stick are next level. He just needs good coaching and more confidence. I see flashes of greatness in him. Let’s hold off for now on casting him out as the next Del Zotto/Gubranson!

seattle 2021 expansion draft for Myers please

17 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

The price for Tyler Toffoli keeps going up. If he keeps up his current pace for the last 13 games then some GM out there will offer him $7m x 6yrs. My guesses at the most aggressive suitors are Bergevin, Guerin and Sakic (Botterill and Poile as dark horses). Can JB afford that kind of contract?

No thanks to that.   At least he's in his mid/late prime - but I hope JB's learned from the LE signing and won't do something we'd all later regret.   Look at Neal, Hayes and a pile of others (Ladd, Okposo, Lucic, Foligno, Backes. LE etc from a few years before) ... I'd go as high as Miller for 4-5 years but that's it otherwise let him walk.   Maybe he's a playoff hero and we make room for him and add a little more ... but this is not his career norm and the only other time he scored like this was also a contract year so yeah I'd be careful with the $$ and term.    Glad we have Brock back - the sample size with both these guys in the top six might determine how far JB willing to and who he's willing to give up to open the space and cap to sign (which also factors into the price). 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Random thoughts during the game

- This one came to me in the middle of the game......if Green was ever fired, would any of our assistants get the job? LOL

I wonder how all the Green haters would feel if he was replaced by....

Nolan Baumgartner. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

Noticed quite a bit of chatter on the tie breakers earlier in this thread.   With this many team that close and fighting for the playoffs wild card spots we are not in an envious position.   Winnining percentage is the first tie breaker - but unfortunately that only helps determine the order before the season is done - if two teams are tied at the end their percentages will be identical.   

Used to be ROW that determined the first tie breaker - they changed that to RW - regulation wins - and can see the merit in that - but we've got less then all around us right now, by as much as three.  Our ROW (second tie breaker) is tied or one below so not too bad.

With this many games left I think passing CAL is the only safe way to gaurantee a spot.   It's definitely a concern.  If the season ended now WNP would take the second spot and we'd be out. 

Needed that one.

Fanta had a rough night.

Demko reminds me of where Markstrom was two years ago.  Lets in an early goal and then stands on his head for a while.  I guess that puts him way ahead of where Marky was on his development curve during his first NHL season.

Having Toffoli and Boeser really just completes the top 6.  All year long the team was screaming for another top 6 right wing.  Jake did some good work but when LE has been in the top 6 for half the season there is an issue.  Hope we some how find a way to keep him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Hopefully not Big Mac

Maybe JB finally told the coach to quit playing little things over Big Mac. JB says Big Mac is a full tiime NHLer yet his coach kept sitting him.

Motte looks like he is playing injured. Maybe they sit him a few games. He has taken a lot of big hits over the last couple weeks.

Update

CGY:  79 pts 12GR: NYI, WPG, NYR, NYI, NJD, TB, SJS, ANA, VAN, WPG, VGK, EDM
VAN: 78pts 13GR: ARI, COL, WPG, TB, ANA,LAK, VGK, SJS, CGY,ANA,DAL, ARI, VGK
NSH: 78pts 13GR:  TOR, CBJ, MIN,COL,PHI, CHI, WPG,LAK,ARI, COL, MTL, PHI, MIN
WPG: 78pts 12GR: EDM, CGY, VAN, FLA, MIN, DAL,NSH,COL, VGK, CGY, COL, ARI
ARI: 74pts 12GR: VAN, NYR, DAL, VGK, DET,LAK, VGK,NSH, SJS, COL, VAN, WPG
MIN: 77pts 13GR:  ANA, VGK, PHI, NSH, CHI, CHI, WPG, COL, NJD, BUF, STL, NYI, WSH, NSH

ARI =  1 WPG, 1 NSH, 2 VAN:  Most points they can get= 10pts,OTL= 5pts
NSH= 2 MIN, 1 WPG, 1 ARI: Most pts they can get= 8pts, OTL= 4pts
WPG= 1 ARI, 2 CGY, 1 VAN: Most pts they can get= 8pts, OTL= 4pts
MIN= 2 NSH, 1 WPG: Most pts they can get= 6pts, OTL= 3pts
CGY=  2 WPG, 1 VAN: Most pts they can get= 6pts, OTL= 3pts
VAN = 2 ARI, 1WPG, 1 CGY: Most pts they can get= 8pts, OTL= 4pts

ARI MAX = 84pts, ARI MID = 79pts, ARI LOW=74pts GR= 9
CGY MAX= 85pts, CGY MID = 82pts, CGY LOW= 79pts GR= 9
NSH MAX= 86pts, NSH MID= 82pts, NSH LOW= 78pts GR= 9
WPG MAX= 86pts, WPG MID= 82pts, WPG LOW= 78pts GR= 6
MIN MAX= 83pts, MIN MID= 80pts, MIN LOW= 77pts GR= 11
VAN MAX= 86pts, VAN MIN= 82pts, Van Low= 78pts GR= 9

Current Standings:

CGY- 79 points- 12GR * playoff spot

NSH- 78 Points- 13GR * playoff spot

VAN- 78 points- 13GR * playoff spot

WPG- 78 points- 12GR

MIN- 77 points- 13GR

ARI- 74Points- 12GR

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Settle down nancy. Demko has let lots of soft goals in lately.

Played well tonight for the most part and very well in OT and the shootout.

I think you need to watch the extended highlights at the start of this thread. Demko made several outstanding saves during regulation, especially when they were 2 men short.

• Like 1

Super happy to see Demko play like that.

It is sink or swim time for Thatcher, and I was starting to get a little worried after the first couple outings after Markstrom went down. But last night he showed off his athleticism and what made him such an intriguing prospect. 4 goal against, but he did play well.

I want playoffs as much as anybody this year, but I get so much satisfaction watching Hughes that I'll keep watching no matter what.

Every single game I find myself remarking out loud about his abilities on the ice. Hand the kid the Calder.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Can I ask a question...why is Nashville ahead of us?

Make us sweat it more.. I think it should be Ws first.. but what do I know?

Edited by VEGETA