The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle arena to be called Climate Pledge Arena

Rate this topic

Kaplan of ESPN has more details:

Amazon secured naming rights for Seattle's downtown arena that will house the new NHL team as well as the WNBA's Storm, but the company's name will not appear anywhere on the building.

Instead, the arena will be called Climate Pledge Arena and will feature several green initiatives.

"I think this is going to be a transformative moment in our industry," Tim Leiweke, CEO of the Oak View Group, told ESPN. "We spent a lot of time trying to figure it out, and get through the complications to pull it off. It wasn't easy. But to the credit of Jeff Bezos and Amazon, they said 'We'll act like a naming rights partner, but let's do this the right way. I don't need any more branding. What I need is to go save the planet.' It was brilliant."

Climate Pledge Arena is trying to become the first arena in the world to earn net zero carbon certification by the International Living Future Institute.

Among the unique features:

• Ice for hockey games will be made from recaptured rainwater. Lewieke says there will be a "massive tank hidden underground next to the building" which can collect rainwater from the roof, but the team is also figuring out a way for people in the community to bring in rainwater from their own backyards.

• All events will be "zero waste" -- a decision, Lewieke said, that was inspired by singer Billie Eilish. Leiweke said a few months ago as Eilish planned her latest tour, she asked every arena to eliminate as much single-waste plastic as possible. "I was like, I can't believe she got an entire syndication of arenas to come along and finally address this issue," Leiweke said. "I was so in awe that she made this part of the deal. When we were debating this, I said if she could do it for a night, couldn't we do this for 365 nights?"

• At least 75% of the arena's food program will be sourced seasonally by local farmers and producers. Viable unused food will be donated to community food programs.

• The arena will have all-electric operations. Carbon emissions and sustainability performance of all events will be measured and publicly disclosed.

"This will be the most complicated engineering feat of any arena, ever," Leiweke said. "But we can do it. It's not going to be cheap. But we understand exactly what we're trying to do here. We're trying to find a way to really focus on trying to heal this planet. We've got to step up here and try to help the Earth, because it's sick."

The cost of the building has been estimated at more than $900 million. The 18,100-seat venue is expected to host 200 events each year, including concerts and the NHL and WNBA games. The building is under construction on the Seattle Center campus on the site of the former KeyArena that was the primary home of the Seattle SuperSonics.

Oak View Group decided to restore the original 44-million-pound roof. It was billed at the time as a move to restore a historical artifact, but Leiweke said it was also to reduce the embodied carbon of the building; the roof restoration inspired planners to embrace the full green initiative.

There have been some delays in construction, mostly because of the coronavirus pandemic. However, the building is expected to be open in time for the NHL Seattle team's debut in 2021-22.

"We still have some work to do until we know what date will work on this building," Lewieke said. "To some extent, it will be affected by the pandemic. We're on the pandemic's timeline; I don't know how to predict that yet. That said, we feel certain we're going to be fine with the NHL and we will be able to do some of the WNBA season, depending on what happens with them on their scheduling."

23 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Climate-Dodge Agenda!

Ex-effin-actly

Don't look at the rest of our operations:

https://komonews.com/news/local/despite-green-pledges-amazons-carbon-footprint-grew-15

The online shopping giant said it emitted 51.17 million metric tons of carbon dioxide last year, the equivalent of 13 coal burning power plants running for a year. That's up from 2018, when it emitted 44.4 million metric tons of carbon dioxide. Amazon disclosed its carbon footprint for the first time last year after employees pressured the company to do more to combat climate change.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Sorry, but reused rain water to make the ice? That is ridiculous. Amazon is the worst offender. They ship out tiny items in huge massive cardboard boxes. They sell bottled water and plastic bags and anything you want. Anyone with a brain can tell that this is just a marketing campaign to try and convince people that Amazon isn't the devil.

https://www.utilitydive.com/news/amazon-2b-climate-pledge-draws-praise-skepticism-as-total-carbon-footprin/580424/

"It's very hard to trust Amazon because they're not a transparent corporation and it's unclear what, who is going to benefit from this and whether it would actually be truly an environmentally sound approach," Larsen told Utility Dive.

For instance, Larsen said, Amazon does not participate in the Carbon Disclosure Project, disclosing its own carbon emissions instead of reporting its footprint by CDP's standards, which enables benchmarking across other competitors. Amazon said it's using a third-party, APEX, to verify its greenhouse gas emissions. 

In 2019, Amazon's operations led to the equivalent of carbon dioxide emissions from 13 coal burning power plants running for a year.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BoKnows said:

Awesome, seems like Jeff is trying to mend his public image though.

Time to announce the team name, logo, jerseys.

after this announcement you can be sure that green will be their primary color

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 1