The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks, Sunday August 2 @ 7:30 pm

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

How am I writing them off? I literally said the only reason why The Wild weren't in contention this year was because of their poor goaltending.

... by saying that the series hinges on dubnyk. dubnyk could play like he did all year and minny could STILL beat vancouver -- just like they already did this season. 

Spoiler

Ferland gets closer to return for Canucks in Qualifiers

Forward to play in scrimmage after missing 55 games with recurring concussion symptoms

by Dave McCarthy / NHL.com Independent Correspondent
 July 19, 2020
cut.jpg

Micheal Ferland on Sunday took another step toward being the physical presence that Vancouver Canucks coach Travis Green said he can be for them in the Stanley Cup Qualifiers.

The forward, who missed 55 games this season because of recurring concussion symptoms, said he was "feeling really good" after participating in a morning skate as part of a simulated game day for the Canucks, with a scrimmage scheduled for 10 p.m. ET.

"I'm ready to get a couple of scrimmages going here, get my cardio and game shape up and better," said Ferland, who has not played since Dec. 10.

Ferland said he has benefited from the extended time off after the NHL paused the season March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus, noting he has not had any setbacks since resuming skating during the pause.

"I needed the rest and to take some time off from trying to get back so quick. It was the best thing for me," Ferland said. "I took a couple of weeks off, and then I didn't have ice at home so all I did was train and work out. Since I started skating, I've been feeling good ever since, I haven't had any problems; I'm just trying to get in game shape now."

Green said he is pleased Ferland can participate in scrimmages but that he will have to earn a spot in the Canucks lineup with his play during the remainder of training camp.

"It's been a long process for him. If he's ready to go, he's another guy we have to take into consideration," Green said. "When we signed Ferland, it's no secret we signed him for these type of games. When things get heated in the playoffs, his physical presence is well known."

The Canucks, who were 36-27-6 (.565 points percentage), enter the Qualifiers as the No. 7 seed in the Western Conference and will play the No. 10 seed Minnesota Wild (35-27-7, .558) in a best-of-5 series in Edmonton, the hub city for the West.

The winner will advance to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and the loser will have a chance at the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NHL Draft in the Second Phase of the NHL Draft Lottery.

Ferland scored five points (one goal, four assists) in 14 games in his first season with the Canucks after signing a four-year contract July 10, 2019. He said he is excited to test himself in a game situation.

"Just the stimulation of seeing a bunch of bodies moving around, going at full speed and getting my heart rate up, that's what I need (tonight)," Ferland said. "I basically need to rewire my vestibular system. I just need to continue to get out there with more bodies and full pace and contact."

Green said he feels the Canucks have 15 forwards capable of being in the lineup for Game 1 against the Wild on Aug. 2.

Loui Eriksson, who scored 13 points (six goals, seven assists) in 49 games, is a candidate for one of those 12 spots, according to Green.

"We're using this time as evaluation," Green said. "As far as where everyone fits in, I don't have an answer right now. I know what Loui does well, I know what Ferland can bring to the table. It's going to make our final lineup decision challenging, but if you ask any coach, they'd like to have options, and we do and have some tough decisions to make."

Edited by Laheys Liquor

21 minutes ago, Laheys Liquor said:
  Hide contents

Ferland gets closer to return for Canucks in Qualifiers

Forward to play in scrimmage after missing 55 games with recurring concussion symptoms

by Dave McCarthy / NHL.com Independent Correspondent
 July 19, 2020
cut.jpg

Micheal Ferland on Sunday took another step toward being the physical presence that Vancouver Canucks coach Travis Green said he can be for them in the Stanley Cup Qualifiers.

The forward, who missed 55 games this season because of recurring concussion symptoms, said he was "feeling really good" after participating in a morning skate as part of a simulated game day for the Canucks, with a scrimmage scheduled for 10 p.m. ET.

"I'm ready to get a couple of scrimmages going here, get my cardio and game shape up and better," said Ferland, who has not played since Dec. 10.

Ferland said he has benefited from the extended time off after the NHL paused the season March 12 due to concerns surrounding the coronavirus, noting he has not had any setbacks since resuming skating during the pause.

"I needed the rest and to take some time off from trying to get back so quick. It was the best thing for me," Ferland said. "I took a couple of weeks off, and then I didn't have ice at home so all I did was train and work out. Since I started skating, I've been feeling good ever since, I haven't had any problems; I'm just trying to get in game shape now."

Green said he is pleased Ferland can participate in scrimmages but that he will have to earn a spot in the Canucks lineup with his play during the remainder of training camp.

"It's been a long process for him. If he's ready to go, he's another guy we have to take into consideration," Green said. "When we signed Ferland, it's no secret we signed him for these type of games. When things get heated in the playoffs, his physical presence is well known."

The Canucks, who were 36-27-6 (.565 points percentage), enter the Qualifiers as the No. 7 seed in the Western Conference and will play the No. 10 seed Minnesota Wild (35-27-7, .558) in a best-of-5 series in Edmonton, the hub city for the West.

The winner will advance to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and the loser will have a chance at the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NHL Draft in the Second Phase of the NHL Draft Lottery.

Ferland scored five points (one goal, four assists) in 14 games in his first season with the Canucks after signing a four-year contract July 10, 2019. He said he is excited to test himself in a game situation.

"Just the stimulation of seeing a bunch of bodies moving around, going at full speed and getting my heart rate up, that's what I need (tonight)," Ferland said. "I basically need to rewire my vestibular system. I just need to continue to get out there with more bodies and full pace and contact."

Green said he feels the Canucks have 15 forwards capable of being in the lineup for Game 1 against the Wild on Aug. 2.

Loui Eriksson, who scored 13 points (six goals, seven assists) in 49 games, is a candidate for one of those 12 spots, according to Green.

"We're using this time as evaluation," Green said. "As far as where everyone fits in, I don't have an answer right now. I know what Loui does well, I know what Ferland can bring to the table. It's going to make our final lineup decision challenging, but if you ask any coach, they'd like to have options, and we do and have some tough decisions to make."

I’d love to see him make a comeback but sadly I think he’s just damaged goods now.

• Wat 1

Thomas Drance’s (The Athletic) playoff lineup projection:

https://theathletic.com/1937408/2020/07/20/dressed-scratched-or-on-the-bubble-projecting-the-canucks-playoff-lineup/

Basically, he’s saying that the lineup is pretty much set, other than the #3 and #4 RW slots.

I tend to agree.

And Drance, regardless of what some people think of him, tends to very plugged in with a good finger on the pulse of what’s happening with this team.

He has the following players set to dress for Game 1 (he doesn’t list any of the lines/pairings but these look the most likely):

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-[3RW]

Motte-Beagle-[4RW]

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

That 3RW slot is shaping up to be a three way race between Virtanen, MacEwen, and Ferland.

The 4RW is either Sutter (if healthy) or Eriksson.

Due to PK needs (especially against a strong PP), we should expect to see one of Sutter or Eriksson claiming the final forward spot in the lineup (even if at the expense of a Virtanen, MacEwen, or Ferland).

If those two final forward spots are being decided by camp performance and fitness to play, it really has to be MacEwen and Eriksson slotting in as the 3RW and 4RW, respectively.

The main question right now is whether or not Green is going to make these final decisions based on what he’s seeing from his players during this camp?

Has Big Mac really done enough to take that 3RW role away from Jake? If we’re just going by camp performance, the answer is yes. But if we’re going by career performance (or even just this season), probably no.

However, based on career (especially playoff performances), it’s Ferland who probably has the edge over the others. Will Ferland round into shape just in time to steal the spot out from under both Zack and Jake? 

Or will Shotgun Jake finally show up, get his rear in gear, and actually start looking like the 20 goal scorer he was becoming this season? 3RW should‘ve been Jake’s spot to lose. But has he underperformed enough during this camp to actually lose it?

That 3RW role really seems to be the competition to watch.

Gonna be very interesting to see what happens.

(And possibly even more interesting to see what happens on these boards if game 1 of the play-in opens with Jake out of the lineup, and Eriksson in. :o :angry: :frantic:)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thomas Drance’s (The Athletic) playoff lineup projection:

https://theathletic.com/1937408/2020/07/20/dressed-scratched-or-on-the-bubble-projecting-the-canucks-playoff-lineup/

Basically, he’s saying that the lineup is pretty much set, other than the #3 and #4 RW slots.

I tend to agree.

And Drance, regardless of what some people think of him, tends to very plugged in with a good finger on the pulse of what’s happening with this team.

He has the following players set to dress for Game 1 (he doesn’t list any of the lines/pairings but these look the most likely):

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-[3RW]

Motte-Beagle-[4RW]

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

That 3RW slot is shaping up to be a three way race between Virtanen, MacEwen, and Ferland.

The 4RW is either Sutter (if healthy) or Eriksson.

Due to PK needs (especially against a strong PP), we should expect to see one of Sutter or Eriksson claiming the final forward spot in the lineup (even if at the expense of a Virtanen, MacEwen, or Ferland).

If those two final forward spots are being decided by camp performance and fitness to play, it really has to be MacEwen and Eriksson slotting in as the 3RW and 4RW, respectively.

The main question right now is whether or not Green is going to make these final decisions based on what he’s seeing from his players during this camp?

Has Big Mac really done enough to take that 3RW role away from Jake? If we’re just going by camp performance, the answer is yes. But if we’re going by career performance (or even just this season), probably no.

However, based on career (especially playoff performances), it’s Ferland who probably has the edge over the others. Will Ferland round into shape just in time to steal the spot out from under both Zack and Jake? 

Or will Shotgun Jake finally show up, get his rear in gear, and actually start looking like the 20 goal scorer he was becoming this season? 3RW should‘ve been Jake’s spot to lose. But has he underperformed enough during this camp to actually lose it?

That 3RW role really seems to be the competition to watch.

Gonna be very interesting to see what happens.

(And possibly even more interesting to see what happens on these boards if game 1 of the play-in opens with Jake out of the lineup, and Eriksson in. :o :angry: :frantic:)

Virtanen was on pace for 23-25 goals, he's not sitting out.  Ive cheered for Mac from day 1, but he's not getting in there and I doubt motte is in over Sutter.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Virtanen was on pace for 23-25 goals, he's not sitting out.  Ive cheered for Mac from day 1, but he's not getting in there and I doubt motte is in over Sutter.

They need 4 penalty killers.  Green doesn't seem to want to have the top-6 play PK.

Gaudette, Virtanen, MacEwen, Ferland don't PK.

Roussel hasn't PKed at all this season - he averaged 50 seconds the season before.  He was practicing on the PK with Motte, Beagle and Eriksson.  Sutter was absent when they practiced.

So take 4 PKer among Beagle, Motte, Eriksson, Roussel and Sutter.  Eriksson likely the odd-man out if Sutter is healthy to play.

It leaves 2 spots and one of them is Gaudette who doesn't PK.

Green on Ferland via Kuzma in the Province:  “If he’s ready to go, it’s another body we have to take into consideration,” Green said. “We’re going to have to make some hard decisions. The next couple of weeks are going to be important for a lot of guys, It’s no secret we signed [Ferland] for these type of games when things get heated. His physical presence is well known.”

Edited by mll

22 minutes ago, mll said:

They need 4 penalty killers.  Green doesn't seem to want to have the top-6 play PK.

Gaudette, Virtanen, MacEwen, Ferland don't PK.

Roussel hasn't PKed at all this season - he averaged 50 seconds the season before.  He was practicing on the PK with Motte, Beagle and Eriksson.  Sutter was absent when they practiced.

So take 4 PKer among Beagle, Motte, Eriksson, Roussel and Sutter.  Eriksson likely the odd-man out if Sutter is healthy to play.

It leaves 2 spots and one of them is Gaudette who doesn't PK.

Green on Ferland via Kuzma in the Province:  “If he’s ready to go, it’s another body we have to take into consideration,” Green said. “We’re going to have to make some hard decisions. The next couple of weeks are going to be important for a lot of guys, It’s no secret we signed [Ferland] for these type of games when things get heated. His physical presence is well known.”

If Roussel hasn't PK'ed all season, and Green doesn't want top 6 to PK, Does that not suggest both Eriksson and Sutter plays, even though Roussel is practicing (provided both are healthy)?

Which would mean Jake sits... so maybe not...

Edited by spook007

Just now, spook007 said:

If Roussel hasn't PK'ed all season, and Green doesn't want top 6 to PK, Does that not suggest both Eriksson and Sutter plays, even though Roussel is practicing (provided both are healthy)?

Green had several weeks to prepare for the matchup to beat the Wild in a 5 game series.  On the 1st day of camp his preferred lineup was 

Roussel  Gaudette  Virtanen

Motte  Beagle  Sutter

with Eriksson/MacEwen as extras

If everybody came ready and left no doubt Roussel would be on the PK (assuming Drance is correct about Green preferring not having a top-6 on the PK).  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Before camp started, I’d have agreed with you. Virtanen should have been a lock for 3RW.

And I still think that by the time we get to game 1, he’s very likely going to be in the lineup in that third line spot.

But I also think that the combination of Virtanen being one of the worst performers during camp to-date, MacEwen being one of the best, and Ferland just being healthy, has muddied the waters significantly.

Jake needs to work hard over these last couple weeks, if he hopes to lock down that lineup spot. If he doesn’t, he opens himself up to a “tough decision” by Green, and the way things are trending, he might not come out on the good side of such a decision.

As far as Motte goes, right or wrong, on a Green coached team, Motte is a lock for a fourth line role. You can pretty much pencil him into that 4LW slot. He’s not going anywhere. And he’s not competing with Sutter. If everyone is healthy, both Motte and Sutter will be in the lineup. If Sutter can’t go, Eriksson slots into that 4RW spot.

Roussel is also looking more and more like a lock at this point, just from reading the tea leaves of the practice groups and scrimmage lines. Unless something significant happens, Roussel is the 3LW. Possibly that could change if the Canucks decide they really need Ferland in the lineup, but with Roussel being one of the better players so far, and looking to be 100% healthy now, I really doubt he comes out of the lineup for anyone.

Basically, it’s becoming a dogfight between Virtanen, MacEwen, and Ferland for the open 3RW spot. That spot should not have been subject to competition, but Virtanen opened the door with his poor camp performance to-date, and now Jake needs to beat out MacEwen and Ferland, to reclaim his place in the lineup.

I’m rooting for Jake, and I think so long as he steps up and shows well during the remaining days, he’ll be given every opportunity to start the play-in series as the Canucks’ 3RW. 

I don’t have him in the lineup as a lock, however. And, based on what’s happened at camp so far, I don’t think Green does either.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Before camp started, I’d have agreed with you. Virtanen should have been a lock for 3RW.

And I still think that by the time we get to game 1, he’s very likely going to be in the lineup in that third line spot.

But I also think that the combination of Virtanen being one of the worst performers during camp to-date, MacEwen being one of the best, and Ferland just being healthy, has muddied the waters significantly.

Jake needs to work hard over these last couple weeks, if he hopes to lock down that lineup spot. If he doesn’t, he opens himself up to a “tough decision” by Green, and the way things are trending, he might not come out on the good side of such a decision.

As far as Motte goes, right or wrong, on a Green coached team, Motte is a lock for a fourth line role. You can pretty much pencil him into that 4LW slot. He’s not going anywhere. And he’s not competing with Sutter. If everyone is healthy, both Motte and Sutter will be in the lineup. If Sutter can’t go, Eriksson slots into that 4RW spot.

Roussel is also looking more and more like a lock at this point, just from reading the tea leaves of the practice groups and scrimmage lines. Unless something significant happens, Roussel is the 3LW. Possibly that could change if the Canucks decide they really need Ferland in the lineup, but with Roussel being one of the better players so far, and looking to be 100% healthy now, I really doubt he comes out of the lineup for anyone.

Basically, it’s becoming a dogfight between Virtanen, MacEwen, and Ferland for the open 3RW spot. That spot should not have been subject to competition, but Virtanen opened the door with his poor camp performance to-date, and now Jake needs to beat out MacEwen and Ferland, to reclaim his place in the lineup.

I’m rooting for Jake, and I think so long as he steps up and shows well during the remaining days, he’ll be given every opportunity to start the play-in series as the Canucks’ 3RW. 

I don’t have him in the lineup as a lock, however. And, based on what’s happened at camp so far, I don’t think Green does either.

100% much ado about nothing, same as in September

7 hours ago, stawns said:

100% much ado about nothing, same as in September

At this point I tend to agree with this... Green is always more stick than carrot with Jake to get him going so I wouldn’t read too much into it just yet.  He’s still the most dynamic guy in the bottom 6. (Edit) and showed up in games this year, not just camps.

I think it’s the lineup Drance/Sid have posed with Jake and Sutter in until injuries or after an exhibition or two. Roussel has apparently been taking reps with the PK group... and a healthy ready to go 18/19 Rou is 100% in the lineup. 

Miller-Petey-Toffoli

Pearson-Bo-Brock

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

I do think it’ll be a short leash for Jake/Sutter if they’re dinged up or play poorly through the exhibitions.  Mac and even Loui have had strong camps and playoffs are Ferland’s time.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/13/2020 at 6:03 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

Can’t wait, miss hockey, also a good reason to buy beer. Go Nucks.

Beer schmeer... Lol. Just give me hockey! 

Maybe one of these days you can take the golf club and ball out of the rink and replace them with a Stanley Cup instead, plus put it on my grave stone because if we do win one, I'll die of shock... Just saying...

19 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think if Ferland is healthy he's a lock over motte. If Sutter is healthy, I think he needs to be with Gaudette to take the FO and be there to make up for AG's defensive shortcomings. I think Rousell gets the a spot considering how good he looks but again if Ferland is healthy, I could see LE drawing in over Rooster.

14 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

At this point I tend to agree with this... Green is always more stick than carrot with Jake to get him going so I wouldn’t read too much into it just yet.  He’s still the most dynamic guy in the bottom 6. (Edit) and showed up in games this year, not just camps.

I think it’s the lineup Drance/Sid have posed with Jake and Sutter in until injuries or after an exhibition or two. Roussel has apparently been taking reps with the PK group... and a healthy ready to go 18/19 Rou is 100% in the lineup. 

Miller-Petey-Toffoli

Pearson-Bo-Brock

Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

I do think it’ll be a short leash for Jake/Sutter if they’re dinged up or play poorly through the exhibitions.  Mac and even Loui have had strong camps and playoffs are Ferland’s time.

This the first time in years  (MAYBE EVER )...that we have had so much depth that 3 bodafide NHL's might have to sit in the stands come opening night....

Personally if Big Mac keeps up the pace at camp i would put him in and if Sutter doesn't put out and make a difference ....Ferland will...and then there is a rejuvenated Luoi...

Juolevi is finally healthy and able to push for a spot as well...

We are going to surprise some people ...starting next week....!!!! 

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Like 1

Our forward depth is deeper than it's ever been, not worried about projecting the forward group as we know it'll end up looking different by the time the games get going.

Defense on other hand.  A healthy Edler & Tanev will take care of the heavy lifting but if one of them goes down it could be the end of our run unless someone steps up (Myers, Juolevi, Rafferty, Sautner?).   If both go down, we're done unless a miracle happens. 

Have a feeling Marky will be dialed in and carry this team a couple rounds and quite possibly more.  Can't freakin wait, 1 more week everyone!!! :towel:

On 7/20/2020 at 6:06 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Will the Jets Canucks game on the 29th be televised?

I’m interested in knowing this too. That will be a fun one to watch next Wednesday, and I’ll be praying nobody gets injured. Maybe keep Tanev out of it as with his luck he’ll likely block a Laine slapper right in the face.

Edited by Slegr

On 7/21/2020 at 8:34 AM, mll said:

Green had several weeks to prepare for the matchup to beat the Wild in a 5 game series.  On the 1st day of camp his preferred lineup was 

Roussel  Gaudette  Virtanen

Motte  Beagle  Sutter

with Eriksson/MacEwen as extras

If everybody came ready and left no doubt Roussel would be on the PK (assuming Drance is correct about Green preferring not having a top-6 on the PK).  

IIRC Miller played some PK this year

• Upvote 1