The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 19, 2020 | Canucks lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

So many lights out stops. nMost shots he turns away are from in tight off the rush. We are done without Marky. He's been so solid.

My guess... He's in the Blues heads and next game, we see a bunch of missed shots as they are too busy trying to pick the corner holding their sticks too tightly. 

Tonight, when we turned it into a track meet, we showed the Blues they can't keep up. And if they somehow get a chance, Marky is impossible to beat

2 minutes ago, footsy said:

Sure but, Marky can and does make a million saves. Getting the goal with the drive JT showed woke everyone up and made them believe. This was obvious.

Not discounting that at all.  JT's goal sent a msg to the team that they can't sit on skill/finesse to take over... gotta get dirty and earn it which they did in the 3rd.

I was responding more to the comment that seemed to underestimate the impact of having a Marky hold the fort on the back end.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, xereau said:

Hughes the true #1 guy we've always needed. Incredible player.

Doesn't even collect a point tonight.

Felt like it was his best “control” game so far.

Skating circles.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 4

Just now, canuck2288 said:

As home team perhaps we should choose to wear our “road jerseys” next game?

3-0 this series wearing white 

I'm wondering how much it has to do with "last change" - He's just gotta get guys out there. Can't play line matching games, he's putting the guys out he wants out there, dictating the flow himself.

Coaches can either dictate, or be dictated to. It's one of the things I hated about AV so much, he'd always just 'match' whatever the other guy was doing. That's okay when your team sucks but when it doesn't you're putting yourself at a disadvantage, because you're already on the defensive before the puck has even dropped.

Play the guys you want on the ice. If they try to dictate to you, say "*uck it" and play the guys you want out there. Leave it to them to get the job done (obviously within reason, putting guys in a position to succeed is important too).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Hughes the true #1 guy we've always needed. Incredible player.

Totally agree 

so many times he used his speed to beat them to the puck and then he makes quick cuts. Nobody can come close to him when he is cutting on a dime 

he does not need to find a pass he just uses his wheels and carries it 

he is a gem 

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

Just now, rychicken said:

that is a very important statement......showing consistency is very important for JV

His speed is such an asset in this series. He can get the puck in our zone (under siege) and skate it out, which we need. In can get in quick on the D, force them back.

Its exactly what we need. Getting another good game from him is going to be huge. 

• Vintage 1

Honestly, it could’ve been a 6-1 game if it weren’t for Markstrom.

But that’s how it’s supposed to work.

Hot goalie that shuts the door.

Love his silver mask.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

My guess... He's in the Blues heads and next game, we see a bunch of missed shots as they are too busy trying to pick the corner holding their sticks too tightly. 

Tonight, when we turned it into a track meet, we showed the Blues they can't keep up. And if they somehow get a chance, Marky is impossible to beat

More of this please. Getting thin on the back end though. Hope Eddie's good to go.

• Vintage 2

Just now, canuck2288 said:

I am

how much of a discount will he take? 

flat cap and we are jammed with bad contracts 

Define discount. The flat cap means no team will be able to throw him a Bobrovsky type contract. He's not even valued enough by the GMs to vote him as a Vezina finalist this year. He wants to be here, we will make it work. Not worried.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, brownky said:

I'm wondering how much it has to do with "last change" - He's just gotta get guys out there. Can't play line matching games, he's putting the guys out he wants out there, dictating the flow himself.

Coaches can either dictate, or be dictated to. It's one of the things I hated about AV so much, he'd always just 'match' whatever the other guy was doing. That's okay when your team sucks but when it doesn't you're putting yourself at a disadvantage, because you're already on the defensive before the puck has even dropped.

Play the guys you want on the ice. If they try to dictate to you, say "*uck it" and play the guys you want out there. Leave it to them to get the job done (obviously within reason, putting guys in a position to succeed is important too).

I just think we play more disciplined on the road versus the pressure if playing in front of your home crowd fake noise 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Haha 2