The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 29th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G3

Rate this topic

Roberts

33 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

One woman describing herself as a Marxist is not the smoking gun you seem to think it is. The thing with a broad umbrella movement is you're gonna have a number of different views within it - from centre right to far left in BLM's case. It's not really hierarchical let alone a monolith.

You do realize she is the co-founder of BLM right? 

10 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

I agree most cops are good. The trouble is in many parts of the US many of them aren't. Too many of them cross the line when interacting with people of colour. They are influenced by their biases and prejudice towards them. Cops in some places in the US are not highly educated. This contributes to their attitude towards people of colour. Some solutions to the problems of police brutality and racist behaviour are to require higher education and careful vetting of recruits. Also severe consequences for repeat offenders who have abused their authority.

Yes, people should be cooperative when interacting with the police. But how about when the cop is unjustified in confronting a citizen? I have seen a video recently of a cop in the US approaching a black man picking up garbage with a stick outside his own apartment building. He was questioned if he lived there and he said yes. When he was asked for ID to prove it he said he didn't have it on him. He offered to take the cop to his suite but the cop wouldn't do it. The cop told him to drop his 'weapon' and go with him. By now the man got agitated and walked away, refusing to cooperate. He kept insisting he did nothing wrong and didn't have to comply. Luckily the situation was resolved when the building manager came and vouched forvthe man. The cop ended up being fired after the complaint filed against him.

There are countless stories like this that weren't captured on tape of cops that abused their authority. Black Americans particularly do not trust their police and hesitate to comply to orders by cops who ask for their ID for no reason. So I think there are situations when people have a right not to cooperate with the police. Not all the responsibility lies with the citizen in their interaction with police.

There’s literally no situation where it’s ok not to cooperate with he police. That’s the law.

As far as your scenario, I’ve been in similar situations a couple of times. You just cooperate with them and it gets cleared up. Arguing only escalates the situation unnecessarily.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, mayor MCcheese said:

There’s literally no situation where it’s ok not to cooperate with he police. That’s the law.

As far as your scenario, I’ve been in similar situations a couple of times. You just cooperate with them and it gets cleared up. Arguing only escalates the situation unnecessarily.

Well as I mentioned, in that case the cop was fired because it was found that he did not have just cause to confront that man simply picking up garbage. He also could have agreed to follow the guy to his suite to prove he lived there. So apparently cops break laws too while on duty. And in doing so, should citizens be required to comply to their orders?

Not being black I can't fully appreciate how upsetting it is to be racially profiled constantly in their daily lives. Sometimes even when they comply to a cop's orders they end up brutalized. So I understand why they hesitate or refuse to comply sometimes.

Edited by yes we can nucks
  • Cheers 1

It's so ironic to bring up marxism now, as we see the sad state of capitalism under attack today. Cartels and lobbyists are the real danger to western democracy. Politicians are gorging at the trough selling out to the highest bidders. Hi NRA. I remember reading about 'Marxism' as the boogeyman of the west. But lobbyists and big oil and big pharma run the government now. And Trump is their front man. And he loves being front and center of this gong show. And now he's on the verge of wiping out voting rights? He's the master of creating havoc and distraction. The sooner he's gone the better for us all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2