The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

14 minutes ago, khay said:

This explains why it has been so quiet regarding Tanev, Toffoli, and our other free agents.

I imagine so. This one likely has multiple moving parts with obvious cap implications, and JB probably smelled blood in the water and wants to take advantage of Arizona's situation.

I heard they are only willing to take a 1 year contract back? So... Sutter? And no Eriksson? If there is an internal cap element, Eriksson makes the most sense does he not?

If Benning can swing this without taking on too much cap it would be great, though I imagine we would once again need to shed cap when its time to pay Hughes and Petey. Unless maybe Myers gets picked up in the ED? I think Edler would still be good to play if he wants to sign cheap...

Edited by kloubek

2 hours ago, cyacry said:

Petrangelo is UFA though, so there will for sure be more competition in signing him over trading for OEL (since rumour is he will only waive for two teams). 

.. and some are thinking Eriksson would go in that move..

Eriksson can not be moved unless he makes a decision.

The same with AP..  he gets to make a decision..

anything can happen.

we have cap leaving through attrition.

Tanevs 4.5 helps.. possibly moving Stetchers rights or letting go. 2.8?

if you were to “up” the ante on those 2 players  to re-sign your looking at a combined 8m min.

... I get what your saying about interests and playing here,..  

but it’s still hockey, and anything can happen.

I will add that I think this city and province has done an incredible job with respect to Covid.

.. and I do think that is highly attractive to players and their families,  this is an issue that will be held in high regard to many, especially to athletes.

Just because OEL wants us on his list,. Does not mean we want him on ours.

im sure lots of talks taking place.

11 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Give OJ, Rafferty and Tryamkin a chance....if they fail, then do something the following year. At least give these players a chance at the NHL level...if they succeed or fail, you won't be stuck with a bad contract in 4 years or maybe less.

This team has made strides and some of the dead money will be coming off in two years...let it ride for a year to see what these guys bring. If they don't work out, then we get a high draft pick and changes can be made. 

I'd put more faith in these three being successful, then OEL being a good player at 34, 35 and 36 getting paid over $8M.

Rathbone can be added in two years time. Develop your players and then give them a chance ffs

Tram has a full KHL contract and even with OEL 3 spots should be up for grabs if Tanev isn't brought back, plus I think Stech faces the same fate as Hutton. Our cap space should be used on players that improve the team, OEL at the cost of Tanev and Stech is a massive upgrade, especially with Tanev being older and fragile. Unloading LE means OEL not only fills a need but is only costing 2.5 extra to have a true 2way #1. It still leaves a min 13 million and other ways to create more cap with buyouts trades etc. 

4 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

There's no way we going into next year with a weaker D corps after what the team showed this playoffs.  Nothing against those 3 players, but inserting all 3 of them next year would set us back.

I'm hoping JB can get Arizona to take LE and retain 25% on OEL.  The cap hit for the next 2 years is the same for both teams (unless they buy LE out), but then they save the long cap hit of OEL (along with 10's of millions more in real dollars).

The question then becomes what makes it worth it for Arizona....   JV, OJ, + 2nd rounder ?

Yeah, but what if they succeed and do well (this is not a stretch)....Rafferty knocked it out of the park last year, OJ is getting healthier and Tryamkin is a beast and already has done well in the NHL...JB would look like a genius ... LE would have only one year left on his contract, Sutter would be gone and Rous/ Beagle would be gone with LEs contract, 

Then use the money wisely.

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Tram has a full KHL contract and even with OEL 3 spots should be up for grabs if Tanev isn't brought back, plus I think Stech faces the same fate as Hutton. Our cap space should be used on players that improve the team, OEL at the cost of Tanev and Stech is a massive upgrade, especially with Tanev being older and fragile. Unloading LE means OEL not only fills a need but is only costing 2.5 extra to have a true 2way #1. It still leaves a min 13 million and other ways to create more cap with buyouts trades etc. 

just don't like the $8M for a 34, 35, 36 year old player, who will decline. Hockey is a young man's game and 30+ is getting old.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

St Louis have already rumored to offer 8mil+ in salary to Pietrangelo that he turned down.. he just won a cup there and they have a good team.. if he refuses to sign at that cap to a team he just won a cup with and is the captain of.. what makes you think he'll be coming in at a lower cap hit than OEL? Pietrangelo is going to be looking for max term and money.. laughable if you think he's going to sign for anything less than 5 or 6 years..  dumping Eriksson from a position of strength to Arizona is a lot easier than trying to dump Eriksson from a position of weakness.. Eriksson cap hit is beneficial to arizona and they happen to have a player they want to move and have Vancouver shortlisted.. vs trying to dump Eriksson to a team that's tryign to reach cap floor when every other team in the league is looking to dump cap hit to those teams hence the bidding war. if Arizona is willing to take on some cap dump i'd gladly take that trade. and if moving boeser would make them also take on mayb like a sutter and baertshi it'll allow us to go after a stop gap top 6 maybe like a hoffman until podz is ready and should have enough to sign toffoli markstrom even tanev + the rest of the RFA

When did Eriksson change his Move/trade clauses ?

AP is a free agent and anything can happen.

i don’t beleive they offered 8m and 5 or 6 years.

pehaps 8 m and 3 years.

OEL might be our next Eriksson or 1/2 season Tanev.

its hockey , anything ...

As much as I don't want this trade to happen, OEL does make us instantly better and we get that #2 d man that we're missing. The benefits of this trade will result in the utilization of OEL. IMO, we should pair him with Hughes and have them playing top minutes together to get full value from that contract.

As for the trade, I would hate to lose Juolevi or Rathbone. Juolevi is our big minute replacement for Edler and Rathbone's skillset is a lite version of Hughes.

If we can find a way to keep them, I wouldn't mind going into the season with:

OEL - Hughes

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Cernak/Tanev/UFA RHD

Benn

Rathbone first call up (while playing top minutes in Utica).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Sorry ON....not at $8M...I'll pass, just like I did with LE 

I have no argument with an opinion of whether it's move you like or not.

What I argue with is the pretense to foretell his decline, and go so far as put a timeline on it.  that's nonsense - no one knows.

OEL will be a mistake, maybe not in the first two years, but after that he will decline....it's the kid in the candy store scenario if JB goes down this road again.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, teepain said:

Eriksson

virtanen

gaudette

rafferty/juolevi

1st round 2022

Way too much.... we don't need this trade, they are over a barrel. 

LE

Rafferty/OJ

2nd

F prospect (Jasek ?)

for OEL (25% retained)

Edited by Jayinblack

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If we weren’t in Covid..  I’d send LE to the minors..  he either would not report, or retire.

There will most likely not be an AHL season,. So Eriksson is safe from a forced issue,.  
or is he?

I would leave OEL alone,. 
.. and I beleive Eriksson is frozen in clauses with Vancouver,.  Apart from a waiver situation.

Ive heard of no talks with Eriksson,.

only rumours of a buy out situation.

he's not getting bought out.

His clause at this point is to name 15 teams before the season  - the terms of his clause were defined to change over the term of the deal.

true that the leverage to waive him unconditionally and make him report to the AHL might be pre-empted / reduced if there is not AHL season, however he'd still be unable to play, so if his stated goal "I won't quit" is to play in the NHL, he ought to take one of, if not his only chance to, short of terminating and signing for a fraction of his deal.

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

When did Eriksson change his Move/trade clauses ?

AP is a free agent and anything can happen.

i don’t beleive they offered 8m and 5 or 6 years.

pehaps 8 m and 3 years.

OEL might be our next Eriksson or 1/2 season Tanev.

its hockey , anything ...

Eriksson only has limited NTC, he would have already supplied a 15 team list. His agent is also actively looking for ANYWHERE to take him right now FWIW.

St. Louis already reportedly offered AP $8+m x 8 years. He turned it down and reportedly is looking for $9-9.5 x 7 on the open market.

OEL might be our Lidstrom. Or our defensive version of Hossa. You can play that game both ways.

• Cheers 2

I remember hearing (I think from Lebrun) that Eriksson is willing to waive to go just about anywhere, provided that he'll get to play. Arizona would be perfect for him. Nice quality of life, a fraction of the pressure from the fanbase, and very little chance he'll get bought out. Don't think his NTC will be an issue.

This is also a good way for both sides to save face. Some of the value for Vancouver will be for getting rid of Eriksson, but they can frame it that they didn't need to add a sweetener. And Arizona can also frame it as fair value for OEL, that Eriksson was only to make the money work.

• Cheers 1

Somehow I think Virtanen would love the free-going Arizona lifestyle.

VAN

OEL

1st ‘21

ARI

Virtanen

Juolevi

Eriksson

Arizona gets two first rounders in a power forward who just had the best year of his young career, and a defenseman who was surpassed by what May amount to the best defenseman in history yet. And Eriksson who is a $12 million cap hit but a $5 million dollar total payout for the next two years.

Vancouver gets to “revamp” the defense and as compensation for taking on such a mass contract, is a 1st rounder.

Flip either 1ARI21 or 1VAN21 at this year’s draft table. New Jersey and Ottawa have three 1st picks and the Rangers, Ducks and Minnesota hold two each.

Or be that rich playoff team that holds two 1st rounders in 2021.

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

OEL is a far better player than Seabrook. 

Currently, yes. Seabrook is not the player he once was and OEL is about 5-6 years younger I believe.

Seabrook in his prime was a great d-man who could play a hard nosed shutdown game and had good offensive numbers too.

OEL is a very good defenseman. Just don't think the price tag as it is now, is worth the investment. Arizona needs to retain some of that cap hit or else take back someone like Loui or Sutter at the least. If they only have us and Boston as trade partners, JB should really play hard ball.