The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah - even moreso in the driver's seat.  few LNTC's are as limited as 2 teams...

The additional caution here - that hasn't been discussed much in this thread - that further mitigates his 'moveability' here - is the fact that NMC runs to the last day of his deal....

For me - that is problematic - he's not waivable, assignable, tradeable in any more sense in the future - than he is right now - so that is something that I personally would have to vet with him and his agent before any possible deal - the extent to which the clause would remain intact.   You don't want to insult the player - but at the same time, that's not necessarily a NMC I would have agreed to in re-signing him - I would have hoped/expected that it modifies in the latter stages of the deal.

That is something that does not necessarily travel when it is waived - it needs to be re-confirmed or modified in the process of a trade - and I would seek to modify it in the latter stages.

Under the new terms of the CBA NMC’s automatically  travel with the player. 

Edited by qwijibo

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Under the new terms of the CBA NMC’s automatically  travel with the player. 

• The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
  • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
  • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Oh boy

"The teams are believed to be grinding over which prospect or player is included in the deal. Coyotes have asked for goaltender Demko, which is a non-starter for Vancouver. There is also the issue of how much money Arizona may or may not take on as part of the trade package."
Quote Tweet

Jim is going to end up overpaying for OEL. Must be the only GM in league history who has leverage on a trade and still end up overpaying

will ferrell panic GIF

1 minute ago, singing chef said:

Isn't it the case that OEL is close friends with Markstrom, which is why Vancouver is one of the 2 preferred destinations ?  Ergo, signing Markstrom would be an essential component to the OEL trade.  If Markstrom walks, is the potential trade dead ?

Markstrom walking won’t change the outcome anymore. OEL waived to go to VAN or BOS (until Friday), they don’t have to approve the deal anymore with OEL if it is one of those. Correct me if I’m wrong but this is how I understand it.

4 minutes ago, singing chef said:

Isn't it the case that OEL is close friends with Markstrom, which is why Vancouver is one of the 2 preferred destinations ?  Ergo, signing Markstrom would be an essential component to the OEL trade.  If Markstrom walks, is the potential trade dead ?

This sounds about right

1 minute ago, Spoosh said:

Markstrom walking won’t change the outcome anymore. OEL waived to go to VAN or BOS (until Friday), they don’t have to approve the deal anymore with OEL if it is one of those. Correct me if I’m wrong but this is how I understand it.

It could be in the demands that OEL presented to Arizona in order to waive the clause.

Edited by grandmaster

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

It could be in the demands that OEL presented to Arizona in order to waive the clause.

I doubt it. He wouldn't have made the deadline Friday if there was a chance Markstrom wouldn't be resigned by then.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, KKnight said:

In the position Arizona is in, no way i give up Hoglander. I think Virtanen, Juolevi, Eriksson and a 2nd is fair based upon the circumstance. I would hope if this happens Arizona retains at least 10-15%. 

Agree but wouldn't include OJ either. Having young players with potential on ELC or cheap contracts is key going forward. That's more important than landing OEL. I'm all for OEL if we can make a deal that makes sense - which normally wouldn't be possible - and of course you've got to give up something of value but I'd be very hesitant to part with Podz, Hogs, OJ or Rathbone at this stage.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Have you looked at Cap Friendly and how much space we will have after this year, if Eriksson is off the books?

Our cap issues are short term, not multi-year.

On the contrary, our cap issues are likely at their worst in 2021/22.

If we replace Eriksson with OEL, then his $6m cap space is already taken, likely more than that if ARZ don't retain salary on OEL.

Coming off the books next season is only Sutter, Baer, Pearson, Edler, Benn. This is $19.5m coming off the books.

I would say at least 3 of these guys will need direct replacement on the roster. That will cost at least $3m for 3 new players on ELC or cheap deals (e.g. from guys such as Hoglander, Lind, Podz, Jasek, Juolevi, Rafferty).

Our performance bonuses from 2020/21 are not likely getting paid this coming season, so that will be another $4.55m cap hit in 2021/22.

That leaves $12m to pay for Pettersson, Hughes and Demko's pay rises. Not enough!

We are going to have to hope that Seattle takes a player with significant salary in the expansion draft (maybe Myers, Beagle or Roussel) just to make it all fit. Possibly buy out or trade the likes of Roussel, Beagle. Waive Ferland to the AHL as soon as he is considered healthy again (since his NMC shifts to m-NTC) to save $1m instead of having a full $3.5m anchor on the NHL roster.

We are certainly not opening up enough space to sign any FA difference makers. Not sure what you are getting excited about...

1 minute ago, NaveJoseph said:

I doubt it. He wouldn't have made the deadline Friday if there was a chance Markstrom wouldn't be resigned by then.

Ya ur probably right. Who the hell knows what is really going on. They’ve kept a real tight seal on the info from being leaked out. 

200.gif

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

For me it's all about retention.  I don't want OEL unless they retain at least 25%.

I don’t think a team hurting for money is going to retain 2 million a year for 7 years for a player that won’t even be on the team. If your lucky give up some valued pieces I’m and maybe get 10-15%. That’s 0.825 to 1.2 mill a year which would bring OEL down to around 7-7.2 mill a year.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

On the contrary, our cap issues are likely at their worst in 2021/22.

If we replace Eriksson with OEL, then his $6m cap space is already taken, likely more than that if ARZ don't retain salary on OEL.

Coming off the books next season is only Sutter, Baer, Pearson, Edler, Benn. This is $19.5m coming off the books.

I would say at least 3 of these guys will need direct replacement on the roster. That will cost at least $3m for 3 new players on ELC or cheap deals (e.g. from guys such as Hoglander, Lind, Podz, Jasek, Juolevi, Rafferty).

Our performance bonuses from 2020/21 are not likely getting paid this coming season, so that will be another $4.55m cap hit in 2021/22.

That leaves $12m to pay for Pettersson, Hughes and Demko's pay rises. Not enough!

We are going to have to hope that Seattle takes a player with significant salary in the expansion draft (maybe Myers, Beagle or Roussel) just to make it all fit. Possibly buy out or trade the likes of Roussel, Beagle. Waive Ferland to the AHL as soon as he is considered healthy again (since his NMC shifts to m-NTC) to save $1m instead of having a full $3.5m anchor on the NHL roster.

We are certainly not opening up enough space to sign any FA difference makers. Not sure what you are getting excited about...

And the Spooner buyout is another $1M

The year after that... $9M more in Roussel, Beagle, and Luongo's cap penalty

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jayinblack said:

And the Spooner buyout is another $1M

The year after that... $9M more in Roussel, Beagle, and Luongo's cap penalty

Sorry yes the end of the Spooner buy out makes it a total of $20.5m coming off the books for 2021/22. An extra $1m doesn't change the issue.

I agree that in 2022/23 we are looking pretty good, and that is why I said 2021/22 things we be at their worst.