The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

20 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

The Canucks need to have given their own deadline to Arizona being tonight at midnight so they can move on to Plan B for another top 4 defensman as the pressure is all on Armstrong and time to put the screws to the new guy lol 

I’m sure they have and it’s probably tomorrow morning before free agency starts. Benning has had interest in trading for Barrie before so I’m sure that’s his 2nd option.

If we lose Tanev, we're not doing so well for RHD, correct?  If we're not worried about losing Tanev and we're okay with $8M and assets for OEL, why would JB not take a run at RHD Pietrangelo for $8M and no assets?  I get that there's a variety of reasons why we won't get him, but I haven't heard a peep of speculation about this.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/guests-nick-cotsonika-coyotes-gm-bill-armstrong-free/id1479554969?i=1000494074882

Basically Bill Armstrong on a podcast and his comments on OEL

- No panic to move OEL

- Had "good" discussions with OEL about the scenarios and went back to him saying - "Hey just hang in there, I know you're stressed lets get through free agency, lets get to the other side here and we'll reach out and stay in touch, if there is anything bothering you reach out to me, lets just calm this for now".

- Regarding a potential deal "If it doesn't work out, we can comeback together sit down and continue to work on the relationship and get him into a good spot, but for now we have some other things to deal with in free agency and trades."

Read into it as much as you'd like.  Bill not really giving away much here in what the real plan is, how negotiations are going in the trades, and seemed to be rather cryptic in his response talking about relationship with OEL.

However, my hunch is that the deadline passes and OEL is still a Coyote.  I just don't think Bill Armstrong is willing to let himself get totally ripped off in this deal and will wait for fair value.  I could be wrong, but my gut sense thinks this isn't going to happen and the Canucks will have to look elsewhere to upgrade their defense.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

11 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

If we lose Tanev, we're not doing so well for RHD, correct?  If we're not worried about losing Tanev and we're okay with $8M and assets for OEL, why would JB not take a run at RHD Pietrangelo for $8M and no assets?  I get that there's a variety of reasons why we won't get him, but I haven't heard a peep of speculation about this.

Probably because if we trade with Arizona they will take some of our crippling contracts back with them, plus potentially taking a % of the salary,   thus creating room for that 8 million dollar deal

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/guests-nick-cotsonika-coyotes-gm-bill-armstrong-free/id1479554969?i=1000494074882

- No panic to move OEL

- Had "good" discussions with OEL about the scenarios and went back to him saying - "Hey just hang in there, I know you're stressed lets get through free agency, lets get to the other side here and we'll reach out and stay in touch, if there is anything bothering you reach out to me, lets just calm this for now".

- Regarding a potential deal "If it doesn't work out, we can comeback together sit down and continue to work on the relationship and get him into a good spot, but for now we have some other things to deal with in free agency and trades."

Read into it as much as you'd like.  Bill not really giving away much here in what the real plan is, how negotiations are going in the trades, and seemed to be rather cryptic in his response talking about relationship with OEL.

Either posturing or not. I really would like to have OEL join the team but it has to work. Not many teams will have the ability to take his cap hit, and meet his trade approval. Canucks will move on and improve in other ways should this not work. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

If Benning loses all three and overpays in the trade, he has to go. This offseason is critical. Team just starts getting better and you lose everyone. I really think Toffoli should have been top priority. Benning should have made the yotes sweat it out and give them a firm deadline of this afternoon. Instead were sitting here twiddling our thumbs.

Everyone sees things a bit different but I personally feel TT is the least of the teams need. While I agree this off-season is critical, re-signing TT and Tanev and to a lesser degree Marky, are not so important that   Benning should be fired. Marky should only be re-signed if it's 4 years or less, 5.5 and under and only if a NMC kicks in after the Seattle draft. 

Tanev has been an absolute warrior for this team but he's 31 and plays a style that is conducive to getting injured.

TT has never broken 50 points and IMO can be replaced internally. 

I hope we land OEL, if not signing Barrie or trading for Risto would be good for the right deal\price. 

Cernak would be someone I hope Benning is looking into as well.

At the end of the day and depending on OEL and whatever contracts are moved in that deal, I'm sure Benning and his staff will do what makes the most sense.

I respect the fact that Benning isn't letting emotion get in the way of business like we as fans are guilty of more often then not.

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Don't look like it is gonna happen. Man can't beleive we wasted all this time being toyed around by Armstrong. 

if it's true that oel and markstrom are tight, and it's true that markstrom wants to gauge the market, and it's true that arizona wants demko in the trade, then tomorrow is the most logical day for this to go down. 

Edited by tas

16 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

- No panic to move OEL

However, my hunch is that the deadline passes and OEL is still a Coyote.  I just don't think Bill Armstrong is willing to let himself get totally ripped off in this deal and will wait for fair value.  I could be wrong, but my gut sense thinks this isn't going to happen and the Canucks will have to look elsewhere to upgrade their defense.

If that happens to be the case, then so be it... Its like buying a car at a dealer...

You have to figure out, what you want to pay before starting your negotiations, and be prepared to wait it out. If not you’re gonna get ripped off.... 

If Arizona finds they prefer to keep OEL, they were obviously not desperate enough, and the deal not viable for Canucks. 

Edited by spook007
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Don't look like it is gonna happen. Man can't beleive we wasted all this time being toyed around by Armstrong. 

Well, if the OEL trade does end up dying on the vine tomorrow, at least Rutherford posted an article tonight with this tidbit:

“There are other teams interested in Pietrangelo, and after St. Louis, The Athletic has unofficially ranked his preferred destinations as such: No. 1 Vegas, No. 2 Toronto and No. 3 Florida. Vancouver and Edmonton are also believed to have expressed interest, but those are considered longshots.”

Sure, we’re considered “longshots,” but it’s something. ;) 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, if the OEL trade does end up dying on the vine tomorrow, at least Rutherford posted an article tonight with this tidbit:

“There are other teams interested in Pietrangelo, and after St. Louis, The Athletic has unofficially ranked his preferred destinations as such: No. 1 Vegas, No. 2 Toronto and No. 3 Florida. Vancouver and Edmonton are also believed to have expressed interest, but those are considered longshots.”

Sure, we’re considered “longshots,” but it’s something. ;) 

If Pietrangelo signs with us it will be on a huge contract 10m+ a year