The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

This is gonna become another JT Miller thread. I'm surprised so many Canuck fans are against OEL. Obviously, the price has to be right though.

OEL is elite. He will be fine playing until hes 36/37. Hes a big body that skates well and is smooth on the ice. Classic swede!

Hope JB can swing this for a reasonable price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

When did Eriksson change his Move/trade clauses ?

AP is a free agent and anything can happen.

i don’t beleive they offered 8m and 5 or 6 years.

pehaps 8 m and 3 years.

OEL might be our next Eriksson or 1/2 season Tanev.

its hockey , anything ...

lol OEL missed 13 games in 7 seasons.. chances of him being Tanev relatively low?? Eriksson? anyone can be the next Eriksson EP can be the next Eriksson Hughes can be the next Eriksson Pietrangelo can be the next Eriksson. St louis have been reported mutliple times by different sports outlet to have offered north of 8mil.. if you say 3 years.. he turned down so what makes you think he'll sign in vancouver for 3 years or less? like why would he take a similar offer from another team vs the team that drafted him, won the cup with, and is the captain of? the only way he's signing outside of St Louis is if it's a significantly better offer. i don't see how your thinking of he will be less than OEL and sign for short term fits that bill as a better offer than St Louis, and how are you proposing they even make a run at pietrangelo? unless Eriksson is already traded or retired where you have the cap space to even make a pitch to him? or we just going to let markstrom tanev toffoli all to hit free agency and use that cap space to go for a pietrangelo? or should they sign markstrom and toffoli and then spend over the cap for pietrangelo and then try to move pieces to get cap compliance when every team in the league knows what you are trying to do and ask for over the moon to take player x and x?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

That is gross overpayment given the current market.

Agreed. I think that deal could be done without Gaudette.

Juolevi (I would be sad to see him go)

Virtanen

Eriksson

1st

ARI taking Erikssons contract basically nullifies Virtanen. So in my mind its essentially Juolevi & 1st for OEL.

I'm really hoping we could keep Juolevi, and deal either Woo or Rafferty instead. I think Juolevi would thrive with the swedish connection of Edler & OEL.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Virtanen

Eriksson

1st

ARI taking Erikssons contract basically nullifies Virtanen. So in my mind its essentially Juolevi & 1st for OEL.

I'm really hoping we could keep Juolevi, and deal either Woo or Rafferty instead. I think Juolevi would thrive with the swedish connection of Edler & OEL.

What does Edler and OEL being Swedish have anything to do with OJ? 

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Somehow I think Virtanen would love the free-going Arizona lifestyle.

VAN

OEL

1st ‘21

ARI

Virtanen

Juolevi

Eriksson

So we're clear.

We get a league consensus top tier d-man AND a first

And all we need to do is cough up Virtanen and what people claim is Hennings biggest gaffe in Juolevi plus; lose Eriksson?

I'll shine up Benning's gm of the year award!!!

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

Is that established or do they simply calculate that he's not worth the ask and they could have better options in the marketplace?

Apparently they offered him 6.6 for 6 years. According to Freige (on the latest 31 podcast). They love Krug I'd be surprised if they don't want to bring him back.

As I said they are better situated in cap, we have better assets in a vacuum. I think we have a shot if we really want to do it. Doesn't seem like either team has presented an offer that blows their socks off.

I think the price they get depends on the cap workings for us. If we are giving up a 1st & multiple young players it better be more than just taking on 1 bad contract. 

Virtanen

Gaudette/Juolevi

Eriksson

2nd

or

Virtanen

Gaudette/Juolevi

Eriksson

Baertschi or OEL retained

2021 1st

Could add a prospect like Lind, Woo, Focht, maybe even Rafferty. Pod is a total no go, and I'd be hesitant on Rathbone/Hoglander unless its a really good deal for us.

And lastly. I'd almost be looking for retention before any specific bad contract. For example: Instead of Eriksson maybe you trade Benn/Baertschi & get OEL at around 6 Million. Then if it doesn't work here - for whatever reason - its a much easier asset for us to move down the line.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I am guessing ARI actually want picks and NHL-ready players on minimum salary to fill their roster (but cost them as little as possible). Guys such as: Rafferty, Benn (perhaps 50% retained), Gaudette, Lind.

In addition, they will have to take some cap back. If Eriksson is too much, perhaps Ferland might be a good option to send their way. They will already have $5m+ of Hossa on LTIR, adding $3.5m of Ferland to LTIR won't make much difference, insurance will be paying his salary anyway.

Getting rid of Ferland's contract is much more important for VAN because if he is on our roster we will need to keep him on IR (not LTIR) and stay well below the cap limit so we can afford to pay for the $4.5m of performance bonuses in 2021.

So to VAN: OEL

To ARI: Rafferty, Ferland, 2021 2nd round pick

...my hope is that Edler, OEL and Pettersson on this team might help to lure Lundqvist for 2 years at $2m-ish...

Edited by BigTramFan

Keep Edler. Have 3 good pairs for a year, or maybe OEL can play the right side. Then if Edler can still play & wants to take a minimal team-friendly deal (unless a prospects kicks the door down) why not?

If this OEL trade happens, they are going to need a RD on the cheap. Something akin to Bogosian/Shattenkirk in Tampa. Maybe Stecher takes a cheap deal, but is he the guy you want in the top 4, even with a great partner?

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I have no argument with an opinion of whether it's move you like or not.

What I argue with is the pretense to foretell his decline, and go so far as put a timeline on it.  that's nonsense - no one knows.

Aren't you fore telling his greatness at 34,35, and 36....I would say we all are foretelling

If Arizona wants to move OEL here, and considering the effect he should have on the team going forward, JB can knock this out of the park in a deal like this:  OEL for 1st rounder, Lind, Sutter and LE.  Then, don't resign Tanev, let Marky go, and sign AP and King Henrik.  With the other problematic contracts coming off the books within 2 years, this is the deal that the Canucks need going forward for it to make sense.  If they can't do this, then it's not worth doing budget wise.  If they want to do it, swing for the fences ...     

OEL - AP

Hughes - Myers

Edler - Rafferty

OJ  Benn  Fanta

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maginator said:

Virtanen

Eriksson

1st

I see this as being the offer on our side as well. I don't think we'd be able to fit everyone else under the cap (Markstrom, Toffoli, and one of Tanev or Stecher) if the cap dump going the other way is Sutter instead of Eriksson. The only other change in our offer that I could see is Rathbone instead of Juolevi, and a slightly lower downgrade of the pick to a 2nd rounder. Further, with the rumours that there is a lot of interest in Virtanen, it only shows that a young player with his combination of size, speed, and shot is a valuable commodity -- even if he gives our fanbase a lot of headaches!

I'd pull the trigger on that deal to get OEL as our defense sorely needs an upgrade. We would have two elite defensemen on our top two pairings having an impact on ~45 minutes of the game, a *fresh* Alex Edler playing on the third pair and eating up the primary short-handed minutes, plus Rathbone coming up and Tryamkin waiting in the wings.

IMO if you have the chance to acquire a top-pairing defenseman for less than the usual market value you do it. Especially if you have your top two stars on ELCs and money coming off the books in time to re-sign them.

• Upvote 1