The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rossi: Multiple sources say Penguins GM Rutherford wants to pursue Chris Tanev

Ilya Mikheyev

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

although the "team and league source" could be the zamboni driver... :bigblush:

good point - certainly in the current media climate.....

however, technically, the zamboni driver is a team employee.......

or a goaltender capable of defeating the Toronto Maple Leafs.:bigblush:

• Haha 2

Tanev's base salary last year in the last year of his contract was $5.25M with an AAV of $4.45M

I cannot see him signing for less than he was making last season,

So I figure he wants at minimum $5.5M AAV over 3-5 years

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, garthsbutcher said:

5 M for Tanev, no thanks, warrior but no thanks

Not unless we’re talking a short term deal. Anything longer than maybe 2-3 years (and more likely I’d cap it at two years) at that kind of rate, and it’s a no for me.

I love Tanev and would like to find a way to keep him, but for me, it either needs to be short term, if he wants a modest raise in AAV, or if he wants long term and security, he needs to accept a “hometown discount” and a pay cut from his current $4.45M AAV.

Otherwise, I’d start looking to trade his rights and salvage some sort of asset.

Tanev is one of my favourite Canucks off the ice, and he’s been an absolute warrior for us on the ice. I feel great loyalty to him and have an emotional attachment to the idea of him playing out his career as a Canuck.

Honestly, I love the guy, and I know his teammates do too.

However, it’s pretty much guaranteed that he will decline over the life of his next contract. If it’s a long term deal (like say 5 years), it’s more than a fair bet that he will fall to “replacement level” or lower before that contract expires. That’s just not something this team can afford.

Playing next to Hughes this past season probably masked some of the deficiencies in Tanev’s game, and the underlying numbers already point to him being in the midst of “age related decline.” And while he didn’t miss games in 2019-20, it’s the only season of his career where he’s actually managed this, so it’s really not something we’re likely to see repeated. Tanev has a significant injury history and has put a lot of wear and tear on his body. He’s just not a player I’d bet on remaining healthy and fully effective into his mid 30s.

If 5x5M are the kind of numbers we’re talking about for a Tanev extension, I hope he gets it, but I hope it’s somewhere else.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Tanev isn’t leaving Vancouver for less than 5mill.   
Also, Van gives him a better chance to win than Pitts future does.  

Different timelines.  Pittsburgh is a veteran team that is looking to win another Cup under the Crosby/Malkin era.   Rutherford will give up the future to help achieve that goal - there are not that many years left.  Vancouver is still a developing team.   

Just don't see Tanev uprooting his entire family and leaving the only franchise he's ever known unless it's for a huge overpayment - and if that's the case then so be it - it's a business right?

If he's getting offers that marginally increase what he could get here I don't see him leaving. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I like Tanev a lot but wouldn’t give him five years. 
I appreciate all the hard minutes he has played but am concerned how well he would hold up over 5 years. 
I thought Brandon would have been a nice add for us but not for what the Pens gave him. 

If the Pens don't win a Stanley cup in the next couple years, I could see that team becoming a massive dumpster fire, with all the extremely long contracts. 

• Vintage 1