The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Only if he gives up his contract entirely and is no longer paid - highly unlikely.  He is more likely to go on LTIR like Dorsett did - his contract will stay on the books.  It's challenging to operate in LTIR because it limits flexibility.  

Yes, highly unlikely he retires when he can go on LTIR

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

When you have an inept GM this happens...Player states he wants to stay and sign, yet GM goes after a 7yr 8.25m D on the market and can't move out any contracts for over 1 year now...just sad man. You can trade Sutter, Sven and Benn easily by retaining some cap or  by giving up picks or prospects to get rid of them full salary...other teams have but we can't...WTF!?

CDC people thinking LE is a part of our offer to Arizona, I would only do the deal if he was but I doubt he is in the package.

So JB has spent all this time trying to sign a 30 soon to be 31 yr old G who has shown to be a bit injury prone at key times of the year. This deal for Marky is simple, he is NOT getting a NMC, Lehner got a partial NTC that is it! He is not getting 5 yr term or more from us AND he is not getting top $ as we are screwed cap wise due to GM JB. Walk away from Marky, you had over  ayear to sign the guy and you haven't, there are numerous G on the FA market you can bring in short term. JB states Demko is the G of the future, so put your neck on the line and run with Demko and X Goalie and spend the $ to improve your D.

I think Toffoli is going to San Jose, Anaheim, maybe an AlBortion team or if WinterPeg trades Laine maybe he signs there for depth on the wing.

All in all the GM has put the team in this cap crunch and in the last year plus he has NOT been able to shed ANY salary...Teams take on bad contracts for picks and prospects we have seen it, is JB just refusing to do that...obviously you haven't had success so try something different!?

in GM JB I do NOT trust, sorry CDC...time for you all to bash be with your internet muscle haha! 

I am a Canuck fan, I just do NOT like how this team did the rebuild and how we are seemingly sitting on our hands right now...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

When you have an inept GM this happens...Player states he wants to stay and sign, yet GM goes after a 7yr 8.25m D on the market and can't move out any contracts for over 1 year now...just sad man. You can trade Sutter, Sven and Benn easily by retaining some cap or  by giving up picks or prospects to get rid of them full salary...other teams have but we can't...WTF!?

CDC people thinking LE is a part of our offer to Arizona, I would only do the deal if he was but I doubt he is in the package.

So JB has spent all this time trying to sign a 30 soon to be 31 yr old G who has shown to be a bit injury prone at key times of the year. This deal for Marky is simple, he is NOT getting a NMC, Lehner got a partial NTC that is it! He is not getting 5 yr term or more from us AND he is not getting top $ as we are screwed cap wise due to GM JB. Walk away from Marky, you had over  ayear to sign the guy and you haven't, there are numerous G on the FA market you can bring in short term. JB states Demko is the G of the future, so put your neck on the line and run with Demko and X Goalie and spend the $ to improve your D.

I think Toffoli is going to San Jose, Anaheim, maybe an AlBortion team or if WinterPeg trades Laine maybe he signs there for depth on the wing.

All in all the GM has put the team in this cap crunch and in the last year plus he has NOT been able to shed ANY salary...Teams take on bad contracts for picks and prospects we have seen it, is JB just refusing to do that...obviously you haven't had success so try something different!?

in GM JB I do NOT trust, sorry CDC...time for you all to bash be with your internet muscle haha! 

I am a Canuck fan, I just do NOT like how this team did the rebuild and how we are seemingly sitting on our hands right now...

I'm curious why Seattle didn't reach out to you when they were looking for a GM. You seem to be very competent in the area...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Great so Bo is the only second liner on the team again.
he must be happy to knowIng that he’ll be stuck  playing plugs once again.

cant wait for the bad  ufa contract parade this dim wit has planed.

players don’t want to come here because of the chance of being a wildcard team they want to come here because we have an idiot for a gm that’ll over pay. 

This news doesn’t mean Toffoli won’t be back, it just means he’s going to free agency. If other plans fall through we could still sign him. I’d be very surprised if a young player like Hoglander isn’t on our opening day roster if Toffoli walks, and while he’s young, he’s certainly not a plug. Benning has made a lot of great moves. I’m sure it’s easy to forget that he just built a team that made the playoffs for the first time in 5 years, still has elite level prospects, and has a bunch of young core pieces who haven’t even scratched the surface of how good they can be.

But yeah bEnNinG iS gARbaGe........

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You're forgetting Miller, Toffoli, Pearson, etc, but I'll digress from that. Some of those players you mentioned have actually played well for us. Gaudette could do well. Lind or Hoglander might prove to be a solid replacement for all we know. Pittsburgh went through a lot of players that did well and didn't do well either (ie. Galchenyuk). It's going to happen. Not everyone's going to pan out. You have to kind of throw things and see what sticks, which is what causes the carousel.

So honestly, don't think of the carousel as a bad thing as it's not necessarily. Evidently, we've found right fits so it's just a matter of time for another fit to come along.

Fair enough. I just look at how great a fit Toffoli was and that's one important area we had the checkmark beside. 2 lines that can score makes us so dangerous. Horvats winger situation reminds me of Keslers situation after Raymond declined. Maybe Pod & Hog fill that in a year.

This Markstrom negotiation had held everything up. They almost need to make a decision & proceed, or else they'll be left with nothing.

My ideal situation would be OEL trade works out with (let's say) near dollar in dollar out. Then re-sign Markstrom & Toffoli. Then try and find players decently priced right side replacement. Or maybe OEL plays right side with Edler.

Miller - Pete - Boes

Pears - Horvat - Toff

Edler - OEL

Hughes - Myers

Not a bad top of your lineup.

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

Maybe he goes to Friday then we sign him and DONT forfeit that 4th round pick to LA...but is GM JB that smart...i don't know, you know!!!

I'd slow clap for JB but I don't see how we afford everybody.  So maybe 1 slow clap.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair enough. I just look at how great a fit Toffoli was and that's one important area we had the checkmark beside. 2 lines that can score makes us so dangerous. Horvats winger situation reminds me of Keslers situation after Raymond declined. Maybe Pod & Hog fill that in a year.

This Markstrom negotiation had held everything up. They almost need to make a decision & proceed, or else they'll be left with nothing.

My ideal situation would be OEL trade works out with (let's say) near dollar in dollar out. Then re-sign Markstrom & Toffoli. Then try and find players decently priced right side replacement. Or maybe OEL plays right side with Edler.

Miller - Pete - Boes

Pears - Horvat - Toff

Edler - OEL

Hughes - Myers

Not a bad top of your lineup.

Meh. Honestly, I think Raymond was just one more player on the carousel back then. Which then, case in point, this carousel kind of happens everywhere in the league. If a team has a spot they need to fill, then they have to try players out to fill that spot, which is what causes the carousels in the first place. lol

It's great that Toffoli was a fit here. It's too bad we can't sign him but we're going to run into issues like that, especially once Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko are signed next year.

As far as OEL goes, Arizona's in a worse cap situation than we are at the moment, so I really doubt they'll accept a dollar in dollar out when the purpose of the deal would probably be to shed cap in the first place.

26 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I really hope they don't sign OEL and let Tanev go elsewhere...signing Marky to a contract without a NMC would be okay, then sign Toffoli, by buying out Sutter and Baer (if Baer is not in the plans). If they have cap remaining, then sign Dillion...nvm, Dillion is a LD

Edited by Pete M