The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

3 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Great so Bo is the only second liner on the team again.
he must be happy to knowIng that he’ll be stuck  playing plugs once again.

cant wait for the bad  ufa contract parade this dim wit has planed.

players don’t want to come here because of the chance of being a wildcard team they want to come here because we have an idiot for a gm that’ll over pay. 

I forgot we literally can not make any more moves now period. :picard:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

I don't give a $&!# about the deal, I give a $&!# about Jimbo's terrible cap management, stop making excuses for a guy who can't do basic math and do some addition, this is just the beginning, of losing GOOD players to $&!# cap management and rolling old vets. I actually have season tickets to this team, so yes, I can voice my opinion at this cap issue.

Burn it down! :frantic:

Seriously though. Relax. Plenty of time left, plenty of reasons why this didn't work out that was out of our control. The contracts sucked yes, but have a little faith. Jesus.

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Vancouver Connection said:

I don't give a $&!# about the deal, I give a $&!# about Jimbo's terrible cap management, stop making excuses for a guy who can't do basic math and do some addition, this is just the beginning, of losing GOOD players to $&!# cap management and rolling old vets. I actually have season tickets to this team, so yes, I can voice my opinion at this cap issue.

When we made that deal and all cap decisions, there wasn't an ongoing pandemic and EVERY team in this league was expecting to have the Cap rise by about 3.5 - 4 million this next season.

Hindsight is 20/20

LE was a good risk at 6 million, coming off a 30+ goal season with Boston and not showing signs of slowing down. Hindsight? I'm sure everyone, including Benning, wishes that they only did a 3 - 4 year deal with Loui.

Sutter (I'm assuming that you're going through the roster, so I will as well), was a solid defensive forward before he came to Vancouver. He rarely missed games in Pittsburgh, no one could have foreseen that he would go off the rails so badly with injuries, those have clearly taken a toll on him, but you sign guys to deals based on where they are at the time and historical data.

Ferland, doesn't hurt us, will likely ride out his contract on LTIR. Was a good risk for the potential reward. If you look back months before he signed, there were a lot of people expecting him to sign for 5 million +

Roussel has been a solid guy for us at 3 million. We needed more sandpaper in our game and a presence who would stir up the opposition players. He had a bit of a rough year, coming off the knee injury, but I thought he was one of our better middle 6 forwards through the playoffs and showed up to play every night.

Beagle at 3 million, coming off a cup win, was a good and positive addition. He's never going to provide much offense, but he's not paid to. He's paid to put his body on the line and make us a better team defensively and on penalty killing, and he accomplishes that. He's also one of the most fit guys on the team, and sets a positive example for our younger players. It would be nice if Virtanen would pickup on his commitment to work ethic and game prep.

Myers has been a good physical presence on the blue line and has generally delivered what was expected so far. He's about the price point you would expect a top 4 defenseman to be at last summer.

Benn, Meh....he's a little over paid for what he delivered first year, I'd expect him to be moved or bought out this summer.

Overall, the only real signing mistake I see on the team is LE.

Our issues and our issue in moving pretty much anyone on this team, with the exception of Loui, (even without the flat cap, it would be difficult), come directly from the exact same issue the EVERY OTHER GM IS EXPERIENCING right now. No one in this league foresaw the Pandemic and what it would do to hockey revenue. They all banked on a rising cap and EVERY GM is now struggling with it, not just Benning

So, in closing, I'm not making excuses for Benning, EVERY GM has a deal that they would love a do over on and EVERY GM is either pushing to take their team to the next level, or they will quickly be looking for another job.

• Cheers 4

People overreacting over nothing.

I’m sure Benning is waiting to see where things go with Markstrom/OEL in the next couple days.

If it looks like things aren’t happening on those two fronts I’m sure a deal can be struck up with Toffoli fairly quickly.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Put Gaudette in at 2RW. 

Assuming the Canucks are unable to move any cap and have to forego signing Toffoli in order to deal with Markstrom / Tanev....

At least they have a young 1RW (Boeser), they have a talented, capable young 3RW (Virtanen), they have Gaudette, who I think you correctly consider a winger conversion with upside, they have Lind, an excellent two way prospect approaching readiness (dropped off some people's radar, but I wouldn't overlook him),  they have Lockwood, they have MacEwen, Bailey (Jasek) as young depth - and they have Podkolzin in the pipeline...they could be in worse shape at that position.

1 hour ago, awalk said:

I like Benning but Madden and a 2nd for 11 games of Toffoli is not a good look...

I agree - it would sting to not be able to retain him - and have him show what a great fit he is in the short end to the regular season - and then have him unable to really contribute due to injury in the postseason...but beyond the optics ignoring the Covid cap stall - if they had to rely on their system to provide a young player to step up, that position is relatively one of strength, and if he does sign, they could potentially use one of those other players (ie Gaudette) to buy some cap space by packaging him with a contract....depending on Gaudette's perceived market value.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

It really bothers me that JB is using the covid excuse instead of owning up to the brutal contracts he signed in the bottom six. It bothers me more that we are stuck with all the guys that got completely dominated by every team in the playoffs while much better players are and will continue to walk out the door.

The run was great but we are about to lose a lot of depth.

2 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

It really bothers me that JB is using the covid excuse instead of owning up to the brutal contracts he signed in the bottom six. It bothers me more that we are stuck with all the guys that got completely dominated by every team in the playoffs while much better players are and will continue to walk out the door.

It’s not an excuse when literally every other gm in the league didn’t expect a pandemic to happen this year. 

I always figured it was Toffoli vs. Virtanen for the cap space that we had available. I thought their respective performance in the playoffs meant that Toffoli would be resigned and Virtanen would be traded. I guess there is still time for both those things to happen...

29 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

So the Canucks went from \ to / and in its latest accomplishments, beat the Defending Stanley Cup Champions, and then took the supposed Stanley Cup Favorites for a Game 7 ride.

Toffoli played one game against Minnesota on August 2,

Did not play against St-Louis,

And played 6 of the 7 games against the Knights.

Benning and his team have brought bountiful success to this franchise already and we're just starting. 

Our boys grew a lot this year.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People overreacting over nothing.

I’m sure Benning is waiting to see where things go with Markstrom/OEL in the next couple days.

If it looks like things aren’t happening on those two fronts I’m sure a deal can be struck up with Toffoli fairly quickly.

Or Hoffman on a shorter term 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

why/how do you figure that?

Both RWs, both pending FAs, limited cap, limited roster spots with an excess of wingers.

This was not stated by anyone in the organisation, but going into the playoffs I just felt that it was a shoot out between these two guys as to who would stay with the Canucks. I was hoping to see A LOT more from Jake to prove that he could be a playoff performer. I was disappointed and figured JB would use that cap and roster spot on Toffoli.

As I also said in my post earlier, there is still time for that to happen!