The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

I would rather have OEL then Tofu. I liked him a lot when he was playing with us, but we have some legit talent coming up that might be able to fill any top 6 holes. I'm also ok with Virtanen getting a contract if this played into the decision. Guy was on pace for decent numbers, even if he crapped the bed in playoffs. Hopefully all this trade talk and being called out by the GM motivates him 

• Like 1

It may have been a calculation that having Boeser & Toffoli on RW was just too much cement legs to have in a Cup contending top six.  I’m disappointed but I’m not shocked that it appears that JB et co are choosing Boeser over Toffoli.

Edit:  If they can’t bring back Markstrom and go with a cheaper 1b to ride tandem with Demko, they may still come back around and offer Toffoli a deal.

Edited by Millerdraft

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Pretty high price to pay for a top 6 that ended up playing for us for less than 25 games? A bad gamble at the time just to try and make the playoff

we gave up our 3rd best forward prospect and a later 2nd for a top line player who was awesome for us.  Nothing wrong with the deal at all.  

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

Man this sucks... I'm so upset, but I guess they see Hoglander/Podkolzin coming in the wings. Can't believe they can't move any money tho. Why the f are we going for OEL at 8.25 if we have no cap to sign Toffoli at 5. Also, they better not bring Tanev back if they're letting Toffoli go

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, bree2 said:

geez whats your problem, we are all allowed an opinion in here. :picard:

Not to sound like a child but you kind of started this with the confused emojis. If you are so “confused” then state why. Don’t just land those stupid emojis on generally accepted statements...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm okay with this.  We already have Boeser who can't skate for his life, I don't see why we need Toffoli taking up 5M to do the same thing.

I like Toffoli but we shouldn't be comitting money and term to him with Pettersson and Hughes not signed.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Me too.

This team needs depth scoring. Spending cap on maintaining the status quo just means more nights of Markstrom standing on his head.

Need to switch up the formula.

Yup. They had something with the top 6. Add a defenseman like OEL to it & your moving the puck up ice faster.

I really respect Tanev but I think he's gunna garner alot of interest & be priced out of VAN regardless.

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

They're only perceived as "haves" because they're not on this team in my opinion. Plus, I'm talking the carousel moving forward, not the past when we were in transition and just a bad team. lol

If we get OEL, I doubt it even more that we'd get Toffoli.

Which of: Ferland, Virtanen, Roussel, Eriksson, Leivo, Sutter, Gaudette, Motte, Lind, Hoglander, MacEwen, exc. Would u take over those guys (when PIT had them in their prime) to be in a top 6. Those are the current options. Maybe you'd quibble with Virtanen & Sheary, if he's even back.

I doubt we get Tanev done unless he really wants to leave $$$ on the table. Other teams will offer him more than what makes sense for us.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I find the comments which say that guys like Toffoli are expendable because the Canucks have prospects X, Y & Z in the pipeline to be rather amusing. They usually can be paired with comments a few years later, complaining that the Canucks wasted several years because they didn't keep guys like Toffoli, and therefore a number of years were lost of the team's current window.

regards,  G.

PS - feel free to insert "Benning wasted teh moneys on bad playerz" type of comments where you feel they are needed. It doesn't change the observation.

Just now, CanuckFan1123 said:

Why would you be disappointed about keeping Boeser over Toffoli? Boeser is several years young, knows how to score, and already has more 50 point seasons than Toffoli. Boeser is way more valuable. I’ll never understand the hate Boeser gets around here. 

I don’t hate Boeser at all.  Period.  Full stop.

• Haha 1

A team can have some highly skilled forwards (TOR, EDM for example), but without great D, they're not  doing anything. Let's shore up the Canucks D, make it solid and very difficult to play against. Leave the offensive production to Petterrsson, Miller, Boeser, Hughes and OEL