The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tyler Toffoli to hit free agency

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

we gave up our 3rd best forward prospect and a later 2nd for a top line player who was awesome for us.  Nothing wrong with the deal at all.  

Sure hes a great player but I dont think he made an impact in whether or not we make the playoff and he was injured for 1/4 of the playoff and not necessary a difference maker other than that 1 game he came back imo. Seems steep considering that's 2 prospect we won't have for trade bait when we actually competes for the cup

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sure hes a great player but I dont think he made an impact in whether or not we make the playoff and he was injured for 1/4 of the playoff and not necessary a difference maker other than that 1 game he came back imo. Seems steep considering that's 2 prospect we won't have for trade bait when we actually competes for the cup

Ya it was a weird move but we would've re-signed him if the cap didn't freeze. 

• Upvote 1

Ehhhh, I think this is spun in a way to make Vancouver look not so great. In reality, like they have said, they have higher priorities. Toffoli and Tanev are in the second tier of priorities right now. If Toffoli's agent wants an answer now, he's probably not gonna get the one which keeps his client in Vancouver. The move was never a make or break for this franchise to begin with. 

We must also remember that he was traded for when we didn't know the remainder of the season was getting cancelled. Does the trade even get made if we knew the season was gonna get shortened and knowing we were gonna have Brock back for the playoffs...ehhhh, maybe, but it's far less likely.

I like him. Vancouver does too. He's a luxury though. This OEL thing needs to be cleared up. It might also be connected to the Markstrom thing. Maybe the deal is bigger, also sending a RHD our way too, connecting it to the Tanev thing, and in reality, there are about 2 or 3 dominoes to fall, before we can even consider trying to sign another top 6 forward. If Toffoli really wants to be here that bad, he'll wait. Otherwise *shrugs* oh well. You're now in one of the obscure named Canucks jersey club. Nice knowing ya.

When somehow cap space is made.  The essentials are signed and the dust settles and the roster is essentially finalized.  Will the tracksuit wearing squamish area types be willing to come back and admit they were being hyper dramatic....

Let's watch

• Haha 2

Just now, aGENT said:

And the only real problem there is Eriksson. Baer is an unfortunate concussion casualty largely.

Your right but in Bennings defense many teams would have signed Eriksson to that contract it just sucks he didn't live up to it. If LE doesn't retire I would make him sit in the press box in Utica the rest of fhis carreer. Have him ride the buses just to sit and watch for 2 years if needed.

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Man this sucks... I'm so upset, but I guess they see Hoglander/Podkolzin coming in the wings. Can't believe they can't move any money tho. Why the f are we going for OEL at 8.25 if we have no cap to sign Toffoli at 5. Also, they better not bring Tanev back if they're letting Toffoli go

Our defense needs more help then our forwards. We have forwards in the pipeline but no top 2 dman, unless OJ makes his mark finally which I am hoping for

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Thats a unfair jab, JB has done a good job but no GM bat 100%

Agreed - and for me, the only one on that list that is truly problematic - is LE.

Roussel I may not have signed, but he's arguably worth 3 million as a 25/30 pt 3rd line energy guy - that's reasonable enough market value.

Baertschi was a 'top 6' here before concussions ruined his career.  Hindsighting at it's easiest / most illegitimate.

Sutter - has been injured too much - and sandbagged in general by a fanbase that has yet to see what he truly brings when he's healthy - ie when it matters, anyone that watched the St Louis series, and what Sutter, Beagle (and Motte who was pre-judged ridiculously here) brought - ought to rethink belittling him/them as much as they do.  Beagle I'd sign again at those terms in a heartbeat - in fact I'd go a step further and add Richardson to the 'foundation' if I could sign him short  term to reasonable or deflated Covid terms.

Anyhow - for me, it's much ado about LE - in other words - a beaten horse, and otherwise, troll material when it comes from within this base.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Agreed - and for me, the only one on that list that is truly problematic - is LE.

Roussel I may not have signed, but he's arguably worth 3 million as a 25/30 pt 3rd line energy guy - that's reasonable enough market value.

Baertschi was a 'top 6' here before concussions ruined his career.  Hindsighting at it's easiest / most illegitimate.

Sutter - has been injured too much - and sandbagged in general by a fanbase that has yet to see what he truly brings when he's healthy - ie when it matters, anyone that watched the St Louis series, and what Sutter, Beagle (and Motte who was pre-judged ridiculously here) brought - ought to rethink belittling him/them as much as they do.  Beagle I'd sign again at those terms in a heartbeat - in fact I'd go a step further and add Richardson to the 'foundation' if I could sign him short  term to reasonable or deflated Covid terms.

Anyhow - for me, it's much ado about LE - in other words - a beaten horse, and otherwise, troll material when it comes from within this base.

We agree