The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Debatable. Tanev, while a very shrewd and intelligent defenseman, was injury prone and spent half of every season as such. He had zero physicality and offered very little in the way of offense. 

Markstrom was exceptional, at times, and was a sieve at other times. He could be easily gotten off his game. 

While both players were great Canucks, they are far from irreplaceable. They’re gone. Forget about them. 

As it sits right now the team seems to have definitely got worse. Holtby is a downgrade from Marky, and we currently are down a top 4 D. Fingers crossed Benning has an ace up his sleeve for tomorrow. I still think he's got this. The OEL trade falling through might have really messed up his rhythm.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Right now our defensive lineup is (not looking at right/left sides):

Edler - Hughes

Myers - Benn

Juolevi - Raffery?

That defense is literally one of the worst in the league. Only the top pairing is good. The rest is hot garbage compared to most teams. 

I have to imagine Benning will be looking to trade or sign for defensemen.

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Cernak :emot-parrot:

Juolevi - Rafferty

• Upvote 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

He is a big defensive physical defenseman that can play top 4 minutes. Not a mean player though.

I had advocated for him for the past 4 years or so. He’s still a guy to target, but he is slowing too. If he was economical acquisition, he’d be a terrific Canuck in the way we had great play from several physical Dmen int early 2000s  teams. 

We sure has some beauties, looking back. To me, Savard does everything we wanted Guddy for, minus the ego and serious fighting bit. He’s an expiring ticket though, they all are, which JB could best assess. Be a cool addition. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Francesco is a billionaire and has been a huge Canucks fan since he was a teenager. He wants to win a Cup more than you and me.  This notion that he’s cheap or doesn’t want to spend to the cap is a bunch of BS...

Not cheap. Honestly, I'm happy that he's the owner and no longer that cheap McCaw. I wouldn't call FA cheap by any measure.

But maybe he's a smart guy that knows next few years is going to be $hit for the NHL?

Tanev at 4.5 x 4 seems like a reasonable deal (one year longer) but then we could have gone 5m x 3 or something like that.

Anyhow, I hope it's not true that there is an internal cap and that we are preparing to sign AP.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Marky was their win

Their defence is no better with their own FA losses and adding Tanev

True. Tanev essentially replaces Hamonic.

They still have to replace Brodie but I imagine Andersson steps into an increased role.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Master Higgins said:

I would guess it has less to do with the $4.5 and more to do with the 4 years. Big name ufas are not the answer to our problems either 

Yeah, maybe 4 years is a bit long. But then, could we have done 3 years at 5 mil? Unless we are signing someone else, I think rewarding Tanev with higher dollar amount for 1 year less term would have worked? Tanev doesn't come across as a guy that will say no.

Funny thing is that we basically heard nothing about Tanev leading up to the offseason. 

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Because Calgary signed two 30 year old, often injured players?

Or because Gaudreau will finally put it together this coming postseason?

Or maybe Giordano will somehow turn back the hands of time?

Johnny is even smaller now than when they drafted him.  Lucic needs a walker in order to get around the ice.  Tanev is almost guaranteed to miss 30 games a year.  Giordano is pushing 40 years old. Markstrom with two good years gets a $36 million contract.  But Calgary is in much better shape than Vancouver.  :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1