The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Christopher Tanev

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Markstrom was injured in March.  Would have missed 5 weeks.  Then he got injured in the playoffs and our backup had to stand on his head because of our D in order to take us to game 7.  Tanev, who was a part of that D that allowed 40-50 shots every night, is injured for 20-30 games almost every year and also got injured in March.  But people want to sign these 30 year old guys to long term contracts. It doesn’t make much sense to me. 

Benning is much better served to either go after a superstar like Pietrangelo or get a much better and younger top 4 right handed Dman via a trade.  As for Markstrom, we have our goalie of the future in Demko and Benning was smart enough to go out and get a very good 1B and Stanley Cup champion as his mentor for the next two years. 

Chris Tanev played every game this year. 

Marky and Tanev were in cahoots this whole time!

As much as it will hurt to lose Tanev, we all know Tanev will get hurt (lots) and this healthy season was an outlier.

Perhaps we circle back to Stecher now or even pursue Barrie or better yet, a trade for Risto.

5 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Seemed like every other game he would get horizontally checked against the boards. Tanev is one hit away from being in a wheelchair. 

He did a great job acclimating Hughes to the NHL but that job is done now. 

Watch Marky falter without Clarke and Holtby return to Vezina form working with him. 

Pretty much. I think a lot of what makes Canucks fans pine for Tanev is how well he and Hughes worked together. It was great to see. I’d much rather have Quinn play with a more physical partner or one who can at least keep up with his skating. 

Tanev’s defensive acumen is also quite good. That’s undeniable, but as you said, the guy is injury prone. 

Markstrom will probably do pretty well, but as proven in the playoffs, when he’s off his game, it’s like watching a squirrel piss on a cheese grater. Not fun and very leaky. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, khay said:

Up to now yes. But in a COVID world, maybe he wants to tighten up? 

As I said, it's just a mere speculation because Tanev at 4.5 was definitely a reasonable contract and yet, JB decided not to tender an offer. And it looks like we won't re-sign Toffoli either.

Two possibilities:

1) There is an internal cap or

2) We are clearing cap space for big name UFA?

Of course there is a third possibility that Canucks were so hooked on OEL that they didn't bother to care for Tanev's contract -- which I find hard to believe. 

I would guess it has less to do with the $4.5 and more to do with the 4 years. Big name ufas are not the answer to our problems either 

This is good. I want to see what Hughes can do without Tanev and whether he can be a true #1 Dman by elevating the play of his partner and not be babysitted. 

Also, it stings that we can't keep Tanev. BUT he gets injured very easily and paying him for 4 years with 4.5 where he will probably play only 65 games per season is pricey. 

Good job Jimbo, you are finally using your head for once. Choosing who not to sign is important and if not more important than to sign whoever you can.

lol @ not wanting to spend cap

Where do people come up with this stuff?

The ownership has pretty much spending to the cap during Benning's entire tenure. Note that so far during most of Benning's tenure, we've been bottom feeding with empty red seats littering Rogers Arena.

If they weren't afraid to spend money during that period, they're not going to stop now when we're supposed to be on the upswing and fan confidence and interest is on the rise.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Who are our decent young D that are going to be better than Tanev and Stecher?

Juolevi?  The kid whos been injured for 3 seasons and is only going to get a shot on the big club because he was a 5th overall pick?  Rafferty deserves a shot over Juolevi.

Also,  yeah its not his fault there was a pandemic,  the same one the Flames are operating under.  They just got significantly better than us today by signing our own players.

Juolevi is looking to step in on the left, his making the team doesn't impact Rafferty. Rafferty would be competing for our right side. 

15 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Who are our decent young D that are going to be better than Tanev and Stecher?

Juolevi?  The kid whos been injured for 3 seasons and is only going to get a shot on the big club because he was a 5th overall pick?  Rafferty deserves a shot over Juolevi.

Also,  yeah its not his fault there was a pandemic,  the same one the Flames are operating under.  They just got significantly better than us today by signing our own players.

You are to emotional about this. Tanev is replaceable and so is Stecher. Don't forget that when the Canucks signed Stecher and Tanev they were both undrafted and no one really took a shot. Stop pretending like they were both 1st round picks and are franchise players. They are good players but not good enough to handcuff the team with term. Yes, I want to see Juolevi play. We will never know what we got until we let him play. I would also like to give Rathbone and Rafferty an extended look. Also, who knows what will happen with Woo.

Edited by Analyst82
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, -AJ- said:

Right now our defensive lineup is (not looking at right/left sides):

Edler - Hughes

Myers - Benn

Juolevi - Raffery?

That defense is literally one of the worst in the league. Only the top pairing is good. The rest is hot garbage compared to most teams. 

I have to imagine Benning will be looking to trade or sign for defensemen.

well if he wants to sign he running out of good def :( alot have been taken now, and i dont want barrie hes a defensive liability and wont make us better ./...so i hope he does, or dont expect to go far in the next playoffs

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Up to now yes. But in a COVID world, maybe he wants to tighten up? 

As I said, it's just a mere speculation because Tanev at 4.5 was definitely a reasonable contract and yet, JB decided not to tender an offer. And it looks like we won't re-sign Toffoli either.

Two possibilities:

1) There is an internal cap or

2) We are clearing cap space for big name UFA?

Of course there is a third possibility that Canucks were so hooked on OEL that they didn't bother to care for Tanev's contract -- which I find hard to believe. 

History says your making your own narrative