The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

We'll.need to part with Virtanen or Gaudette. Hopefully we can move out Baertschi or Sutter in the process.

We can probably fit them in without moving anyone, although offloading those 2 would be good.  If Ferland goes on LTIR, that's 5.5 mil to do those two deals, which should get it done.  Just have to paper down a couple of waiver-exempt guys on entry-level deals at the beginning of the season to be cap compliant. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Seattle is very much into analytics and already has one of the larger departments.  Alexandra Mandrycky, co-founder of the site war-on-ice, actually helped hire their GM. As part of their GM search they also analysed the efficiency of contracts signed by the different candidates.  

Wasn't Chayka huge on analytics as well :bigblush:?

• Haha 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

in general it makes sense to push costs into the future.

What about a 3rd in 2027? 2032? You think that means much to a GM right now? Probably only 2-3 GMs in the league that think they'll still have their job in 7-10 years.

Obviously in a vacuum a pick in X spot is worth the same in any year (assuming draft depth is the same every year) but that's not really the case for most GMs when they are talking trade outside the vacuum.

No matter how you slice it a 3rd round pick is a 3rd round pick. No matter how much you try to spin it. 

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Seattle only has to take 20 players under contract - they can select a UFA from Vancouver rather than have to deal with a poor contract.  Seattle is very much into analytics and already has one of the larger departments.  Alexandra Mandrycky, co-founder of the site war-on-ice, actually helped hire their GM. As part of their GM search they also analysed the efficiency of contracts signed by the different candidates.  

How can you select UFA? They can't make a player sign with them. They can select negotiation rights?

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Me too ahha

@aGENT

RESPECT

No worries. Just happy CDC is backing away from the ledge :lol: It was touch and go there for a couple days :ph34r:

I'm pretty stoked to see what else 'Dim-Jim' unearths this offseason to the dismay of all his detractors and the panicky Pollyanna's.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

It feels like top-4 D men hold up a little better into their old age than forwards do but I have zero evidence to back that up. 

There is loads of it.   We have one on our team right now in Edler, played some of his best hockey since the worlds a couple summers ago...

• Cheers 2

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

We can probably fit them in without moving anyone, although offloading those 2 would be good.  If Ferland goes on LTIR, that's 5.5 mil to do those two deals, which should get it done.  Just have to paper down a couple of waiver-exempt guys on entry-level deals at the beginning of the season to be cap compliant. 

Need room incase Ferland comes back so we do need to move someone. 

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

in general it makes sense to push costs into the future.

What about a 3rd in 2027? 2032? You think that means much to a GM right now? Probably only 2-3 GMs in the league that think they'll still have their job in 7-10 years.

Obviously in a vacuum a pick in X spot is worth the same in any year (assuming draft depth is the same every year) but that's not really the case for most GMs when they are talking trade value outside the vacuum.

yeah but we, as the people on the outside, get the benefit of objectivity. we're not evaluating through the eyes of an employee with a short shelf life.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Won't be able to call them back up if Ferland is on LTIR.  Bonuses have to covered in LTIR - a Juolevi recall is no longer 863K but 1.9M with LTIR in use. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

How can you select UFA? They can't make a player sign with them. They can select negotiation rights?

They’d effectively risk wasting their pick.   They can select Edler but he doesn’t have to sign with them.   Or any UFA for that matter.   Vegas didn’t risk it and I doubt Seattle will too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

They are given a window to talk to any UFA that they may wish to select IIRC. Eddie, being a lifelong Canuck probably has zero interest in signing with them, so it probably wouldn't get far. I guess it depends on if Benning low ball/Tanev' him next year though.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

According to Vegas fans, loosing Nate was like us loosing Tanev. They understand it had to happen, but it hurts. Makes me like this guy even more, he's a fan favorite.

Vegas might underestimate losing Schmidt.

He was a big part of their early success, and considered a glue guy in the room.

Yes Pietrangelo is top notch, but Vegas loses another piece of that Cinderella run. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

yeah but we, as the people on the outside, get the benefit of objectivity. we're not evaluating through the eyes of an employee with a short shelf life.

Okay, but that's largely irrelevant. What I'm talking about is what GMs think when they're negotiating trades 

Which was the sentiment in my original post; a 3rd for this player is great value but a future 3rd is even better value.

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

This deal is a MASSIVE win for the Canucks as far as this coming season goes, but will we be able to clear enough cap to sign Demko, Pettersson, and Hughes now?

Canucks are projected to have more than 20 million of cap space next year. I think we're okay.

• Cheers 1