The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Okay, so does that mean that all the potential bonuses have to be factored in at that moment whether or not the players eventually earn them?  If so, there might still be other work-arounds by waiving contracts you wouldn't mind losing (Loui, Sutter Roussel), having counterparts at league minimum on the roster for the start of the season, then switching back after that.  In effect a kind of papering down except there's some risk of losing the waived players. 

For recalls in case of short term injuries or in-season additions like Podkolzin - yes.  After season start if a player is added to the roster his potential bonuses have to be covered when LTIR is in use, as long as they are still technically attainable (whether realistic or not).  It caught Dallas a year ago - they were in LTIR and unable to recall Gurianov at the TDL because of his performance bonuses per Shapiro.  

Not sure to understand what you are suggesting.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

Even better than the one for JT Miller?   It was a 3rd pick instead of a 1st so maybe.

Miller was a great trade.  But it was a 1st and a 3rd. Schmidt was only a 3rd. So if he ends up being in our top 4 for the next several years then I would say the Schmidt deal is a better trade. 

The Canucks are still in a really good spot for Expansion next year. We could even add another defenseman and still be alright. Hughes being ineligible is a major win. Up front it we likely won't lose anyone worth worrying over and in net its obviously Demko. 

I really hope we can work out a deal to dump Myers to Seattle in Expansion. 

36 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Schmidt is the same age as OEL.  Schmidt averaged .49 pts per game over the last 3 year.  OEL averaged .51.  Schmidt is 2.3 mil lesser year for less years.  We also gave up much less for him.  Good job Jim!

gave up much less, but still have LE....

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I am surprised they helped Vegas by giving up a third without dumping a portion of Ericsson or Sutter.

It was strange how he jumped to be a 40 point a year average guy so quickly with more minutes after being a third pair depth type on Washington.

He is apparently a really positive happy guy all the time so he is on something. Not sure what it is... Lol. 

He gets reunited with Beagle and Holtby.

Canucks trying to add all the ex Washington Capitals like how Calgary is going after ex Canucks.

Also he has the Minnesota connection with Brock Boeser.

I think this move had to be made Benning was desperate for a cromulent top 4 d partner for Edler.

As it stands now the Canucks could use some scoring in their top 9 especially at RW but they will need around 4 million for Gaudette and Virtanen combined as well.

On d

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi-Benn

This is not much improved over last year's d core 

Losing Stecher and Tanev will be a downgrade defensively.

Benning must be hoping adding another offensively minded puck moving d man to take some of the burden of Hughes to carry the d core offensively will make up some of the difference.

Schmidt can really skate the best veteran d man the Canucks have added since Ehrhoff probably.

He needs to stay healthy though.

I'm still not super keen on the actual contract, but given the price we paid I can't really complain

We needed someone and he sounds like a guy capable of effectively playing his off side 

I'm expecting we'll make another move or two, as you said we still need cap to sign Virtanen and Gaudette

I'm pretty sure we also need to keep cap open for Ferland (?) and bonuses from last season? 

And we need someone at 3RD, though I question whether they'll just role with Rafferty and hope Tram comes over later 

I still think they want Tram to work out, so I'm not sure they'll want an option with term 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

gave up much less, but still have LE....

LE’s contract won’t impact the Canucks. Lot of salary coming off the books end of next year. The 6mil will be useful once LE’s contract expires. 

Canucks are set. Not concerned about managing the cap. 

6 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

It’s a little ridiculous to be splitting hairs over this in an otherwise jubilant thread, yes?

I was the one actually giving Benning a little extra credit on the trade (and I'm not one to give Benning much credit in general). :P

Others came at me disagreeing with something that's been considered a pretty standard concept across all sports that have drafts for a long time. :frantic:

(e/ google it if need be)

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning isn’t even done yet.  Just wait until he takes Tampa to the cleaners and grabs Palat and Cernak for Rafferty and a 5th rounder...

And we will have cap room to fit them?? How about dump Sutter and/or Eriksson first?

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That's sandbagging him wadr. No where near as bad as you and others here undervalue him. 

I don't say it for the sake of saying it. If I had a hate agenda, I wouldn't be parading about how good of a trade the Schmidt trade was. At the absolute worst, it's a top 5 trade for us in the last 15 years. Not every move or player has to be defended. 

Myers was literally played alongside Fantenberg as his partner at a higher rate than any other player. He was hemmed in his own end during the playoffs. A common misconception is that Stecher got exposed against VGK and Myers somehow dominated the big scary 3rd liner Tuch. 

Stecher outscored VGK 5-1 at ES in the series. 7 games for stecher, 1 ES goal against while playing harder minutes than Myers and Tanev. I don't understand this misconception. 

If you have an Athletic subscription, here's an article about Myers from a year ago that is still accurate today. https://theathletic.com/1057961/2019/07/01/what-to-make-of-the-tyler-myers-contract-and-the-canucks-blue-line-overhaul/

Though I'm not sure how you feel about Harman Dayal.

Edited by Tom Sestito

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'm still not super keen on the actual contract, but given the price we paid I can't really complain

We needed someone and he sounds like a guy capable of effectively playing his off side 

I'm expecting we'll make another move or two, as you said we still need cap to sign Virtanen and Gaudette

I'm pretty sure we also need to keep cap open for Ferland (?) and bonuses from last season? 

And we need someone at 3RD, though I question whether they'll just role with Rafferty and hope Tram comes over later 

I still think they want Tram to work out, so I'm not sure they'll want an option with term 

Bonuses of $1.7 million are already factored into the cap for 2020. If Ferland goes on LTIR at the start of the year and Juolevi is already on the big club then it won’t matter.  I think Virtanen will be traded. Lind could step up and play on the 3rd or 4th line along with MacEwen.  Trading Virtanen for a hard nosed bottom paring right shot Dman and a pick would be a great move and fill out the D plus get us under the cap. 

10 minutes ago, CanucksForever2 said:

And....all I'm suggesting is a trade is possible. AKA Nate for a 2022 3rd...

And...No. I did not suggest any of the players you mentioned. 

Thank you.

That is who has to move at minimum to accompany that proposed tampa deal and that's not including the wealth of picks and prospects to acquire those players from Tampa. Not a realistic proposal as of yet at the very least.