The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Man I knew Edler wasn’t the puck mover he used to be but I didn’t realize he was so bad at zone exits.

Hopefully pairing him with Schmidt can help him get the puck out of the zone more efficiently.

Still think we need that Tanev replacement though. Someone who can limit other teams zone entries.

Yeah, I think that'd def alleviate some of his struggles

I hadn't realized it either, I hope he's better next season

Myers had encouraging numbers, and we all knew Hughes was dominant but wow 

23 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Schmidt held that status until this year.  Hughes Schmidt vs Pieterangelo Theodore.  

At the present I give the nod to LV, but Hughes is already close to Theodore and that's as a rookie   

So we got a stronger top pairing and lost depth, LV got a stronger top pairing and lost depth, just at center.  

They have way more cap tied up atm, but LV doesn't have a 3m Loui cap penalty and the anchor of LE.  Dammit we have 9m tied up of dead cap to two dudes named Louis....  jeezuz JB, lay off the off track betting.  

lol Pietrangelo/Theodore is tiers above Hughes/Schmidt. To even compare them is pretty embarrassing. 

To say Hughes is already a top defender in the league is like saying Boeser is Ovechkin or Matthews after his first rookie season. Boeser went out the gate and scored 29 goals in his first year. And then regressed! Same for Hughes, he had a great 1st season. Doesn't mean hes established at all. 

Canucks fan will say whatever to make themselves feel good. I shouldn't trample over your party, please continue. 

On 10/17/2020 at 8:20 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Schmidt held that status until this year.  Hughes Schmidt vs Pieterangelo Theodore.  

At the present I give the nod to LV, but Hughes is already close to Theodore and that's as a rookie   

So we got a stronger top pairing and lost depth, LV got a stronger top pairing and lost depth, just at center.  

They have way more cap tied up atm, but LV doesn't have a 3m Loui cap penalty and the anchor of LE.  Dammit we have 9m tied up of dead cap to two dudes named Louis....  jeezuz JB, lay off the off track betting.  

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

lol Pietrangelo/Theodore is tiers above Hughes/Schmidt. To even compare them is pretty embarrassing. 

To say Hughes is already a top defender in the league is like saying Boeser is Ovechkin or Matthews after his first rookie season. Boeser went out the gate and scored 29 goals in his first year. And then regressed! Same for Hughes, he had a great 1st season. Doesn't mean hes established at all. 

Canucks fan will say whatever to make themselves feel good. I shouldn't trample over your party, please continue. 

Amen brother.

Ive been shaking my head at half the garbage thats come out on this thread.

Some Nuck fans here are living in fantasy land.

Petro and Theodore might be the best and most complete pairing in hockey, if put together.

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Amen brother.

Ive been shaking my head at half the garbage thats come out on this thread.

Some Nuck fans here are living in fantasy land.

Petro and Theodore might be the best and most complete pairing in hockey, if put together.

And its likely that 98% of CDC (except Timrafan) has been shaking their head at the garbage that comes from you.

Nothing wrong with people hypothesizing about a Hughes/Schmidt pairing...much like you 2 are doing about Pietrangelo/Theodore being the best and most complete pairing in the NHL.  I'd hazard to guess that the LV pair will be better but to suggest the comparison is embarrassing is a tad dramatic.      

• Cheers 1

On 10/17/2020 at 5:20 AM, Phat Fingers said:

interesting article here comparing us to Dallas now on the aspect of d men that can transition the puck. Watching how Heiskanen and Klingberg worked together made me think Jim was going to go after Barrie, but thankfully Nate fell to us instead. For me the right comp for Hughes and Schmidt is Heiskanen and Klingberg, not Theodore and Pietrangelo.

What could be really exciting for us is if Juolevi also turns out to be good at taking the puck out of our zone too. 

--

Fortunately, circumstances gave the Canucks the opportunity to trade for Nate Schmidt, who is a high-end puck-moving defenceman. 

Schmidt changes the dynamic significantly for the Canucks, particularly if we compare the Canucks’ defencemen for next season to the other team that made the Stanley Cup Finals: the Dallas Stars.

Canucks vs Stars zone exits and entriesCanucks vs Stars: Defence zone exits and entries.

While the Stars didn’t have the depth of puck-moving defencemen of the Lightning last season, they made up for it with two high-end puck-movers: John Klingberg and Miro Heiskanen. The two are adept at moving the puck out of the defensive zone with both their feet and passing and they’re both even better — among the NHL’s elite — at transitioning the puck all the way into the offensive zone with possession.

Klingberg is absolutely ridiculous. Witness this zone exit against two of the best forecheckers on the St. Louis Blues, Ryan O'Reilly and Jaden Schwartz.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/how-nate-schmidt-narrows-the-gap-between-the-canucks-and-the-nhls-cup-contenders-2799839

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 10/17/2020 at 8:20 PM, Phat Fingers said:

Too bad we are close to the cap too..or else we could of traded a pick for another Vegas player since Vegas is still over the cap.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. We have a decent top 4 for the first time since 2011. 

The only question remains is when Edler is done after next year would OJ be ready or do we hunt for another top 4 defenceman? 

Things will be a bit tight with Petey, Hughes and Demko’s upcoming contracts. I think bridge is the way to go with these guys till we get rid of the dead weight cap space in the Luongo penalty, LE contract and Rousell/Beagle. 

Anyone know of any good top 4 upcoming defencemen with expiring contracts next year? Not so sure JB can pull another one of these specials for a 3rd. This is a rarity. 

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The more I think about this, the more I like it. We have a decent top 4 for the first time since 2011. 

The only question remains is when Edler is done after next year would OJ be ready or do we hunt for another top 4 defenceman? 

Things will be a bit tight with Petey, Hughes and Demko’s upcoming contracts. I think bridge is the way to go with these guys till we get rid of the dead weight cap space in the Luongo penalty, LE contract and Rousell/Beagle. 

Anyone know of any good top 4 upcoming defencemen with expiring contracts next year? Not so sure JB can pull another one of these specials for a 3rd. This is a rarity. 

I'm kind of of the mindset of we need to at least give people like Juolevi and Rafferty a chance. It's easy to think "oh this spot needs filling. Let's go to free agency." but is that the best solution all the time if you have guys potentially ready? Sure, it could backfire, but when you're only talking about a bottom pairing, that's where you're able to experiment in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm kind of of the mindset of we need to at least give people like Juolevi and Rafferty a chance. It's easy to think "oh this spot needs filling. Let's go to free agency." but is that the best solution all the time if you have guys potentially ready? Sure, it could backfire, but when you're only talking about a bottom pairing, that's where you're able to experiment in my opinion.

No harm in looking at potential top 4D next UFA season. 

If one of the D rookies can blow our socks off like EP and Huggy, then we are laughing all the way to the bank.

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

No harm in looking at potential top 4D next UFA season. 

If one of the D rookies can blow our socks off like EP and Huggy, then we are laughing all the way to the bank.

Going off of this article:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/best-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-ufas-of-2021/

Looks like the cream of the crop is....Dougie Hamilton

also possibly available

Niklas Hjalmarsson, Adam Larsson, Ryan Murray, Alec Martinez,  and Jamie Oleksiak.

I guess there are some possibilities there.  But I'm thinking improving from within will have to happen.

40 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Going off of this article:  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/best-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-ufas-of-2021/

also possibly available

Niklas Hjalmarsson, Adam Larsson, Ryan Murray, Alec Martinez,  and Jamie Oleksiak.

I guess there are some possibilities there.  But I'm thinking improving from within will have to happen.

Not the greatest of list. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

also possibly available

This list makes me think that Benning should try to take advantage of his Bruins connection and sign Chara to a 2-year deal to fill our last D position.  Then, next year, if he can sign Oleksiak and has also signed Tryamkin, he could trot out a defence with both these guys, together with Myers and Chara.  Having at least one season of 4 D all 6'7" or better would be awwwesome!:)

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

This list makes me think that Benning should try to take advantage of his Bruins connection and sign Chara to a 2-year deal to fill our last D position.  Then, next year, if he can sign Oleksiak and has also signed Tryamkin, he could trot out a defence with both these guys, together with Myers and Chara.  Having at least one season of 4 D all 6'7" or better would be awwwesome!:)

Wouldn't give him a 2 year deal nor would he want it. If you sign a 35+ player and they decide to retire you are still on the hook for their cap throughout the contract. He has already been signing year to year for the past 2 seasons.

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Not the greatest of list. 

Yeah Canucks really lucked out with their expensive contracts this off season. If you think about it Alex Pietrangelo, Tyson Barrie, Torey Kurg, TJ Bordie, and Kevin Shattenkirk were all available this off season and at pretty decent contracts. Any one of those players would have helped Vancouver's defense significantly.

19 hours ago, Robert Long said:

interesting article here comparing us to Dallas now on the aspect of d men that can transition the puck. Watching how Heiskanen and Klingberg worked together made me think Jim was going to go after Barrie, but thankfully Nate fell to us instead. For me the right comp for Hughes and Schmidt is Heiskanen and Klingberg, not Theodore and Pietrangelo.

What could be really exciting for us is if Juolevi also turns out to be good at taking the puck out of our zone too. 

--

Fortunately, circumstances gave the Canucks the opportunity to trade for Nate Schmidt, who is a high-end puck-moving defenceman. 

Schmidt changes the dynamic significantly for the Canucks, particularly if we compare the Canucks’ defencemen for next season to the other team that made the Stanley Cup Finals: the Dallas Stars.

Canucks vs Stars zone exits and entriesCanucks vs Stars: Defence zone exits and entries.

While the Stars didn’t have the depth of puck-moving defencemen of the Lightning last season, they made up for it with two high-end puck-movers: John Klingberg and Miro Heiskanen. The two are adept at moving the puck out of the defensive zone with both their feet and passing and they’re both even better — among the NHL’s elite — at transitioning the puck all the way into the offensive zone with possession.

Klingberg is absolutely ridiculous. Witness this zone exit against two of the best forecheckers on the St. Louis Blues, Ryan O'Reilly and Jaden Schwartz.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/how-nate-schmidt-narrows-the-gap-between-the-canucks-and-the-nhls-cup-contenders-2799839

For those that love Tanev, we should be excited for Schmidt.  

He is a steady minute eating top pairing guy who can move the puck up th ice without being overally physical.  

He is a far better producer and stays healthier.  

Schmidt either can carry his own pairing or play with Hughes and Vancouver will have the best d pairing in club history starting next season.  

In 3 years, with Schmidt still very much in his prime, Hughes will be just showing what his prime will look like... something to look forward too.  

Let's see how they and Dallas, Colorado with Makar and Bryon stack up against a potentially declining Pieterangelo and Theodore in his prime.  

St Louis has Krug and Paryako (sp?) too.  

Some great d pairings in the west are going to be fun to watch, now that we actually have a seat at the table. 

As for Schmidt, he should easily fill the void Tanev left in the dressing room.  

He was the 'Juice for LV, will be a great addition to the room.  He will be a great mentor for our young guys.  

Looking at the exits (which is a vital stat for d men) Myers also looks solid. 

OJ is a breakout wizard too, hopefully that can translate to the bigs. 

Rafferty too.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

For those that love Tanev, we should be excited for Schmidt.  

He is a steady minute eating top pairing guy who can move the puck up th ice without being overally physical.  

He is a far better producer and stays healthier.  

Schmidt either can carry his own pairing or play with Hughes and Vancouver will have the best d pairing in club history starting next season.  

In 3 years, with Schmidt still very much in his prime, Hughes will be just showing what his prime will look like... something to look forward too.  

Let's see how they and Dallas, Colorado with Makar and Bryon stack up against a potentially declining Pieterangelo and Theodore in his prime.  

St Louis has Krug and Paryako (sp?) too.  

Some great d pairings in the west are going to be fun to watch, now that we actually have a seat at the table. 

As for Schmidt, he should easily fill the void Tanev left in the dressing room.  

He was the 'Juice for LV, will be a great addition to the room.  He will be a great mentor for our young guys.  

Looking at the exits (which is a vital stat for d men) Myers also looks solid. 

OJ is a breakout wizard too, hopefully that can translate to the bigs. 

Rafferty too.  

I'm just glad Benning found a way to compete in the "arms race" for two elite PMDs. Are our guys "the best" pairing statistically over the entire year? who cares as we win the game.