The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jayce Hawryluk

23 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

This point right here is a lot truer than most people think.

I like the player and I think he'll complement our fourth line nicely, but let's stop acting like he's some Barclay Goodrow/Chandler Stephenson/Joakim Nordstrom type bottom-six player that's about to transform this team.

Ottawa sent a 4th round pick to Nashville to get Watson over bringing back this guy for free.  Makes you wonder...

No one really knew what Barclay was until a few seasons ago.  I dont even think he was drafted.  And hes been traded too. 

Same goes for Stephenson.   Nordstroms been traded several times.

Who knows that JH will become.  He has the talent, youth and potential to surprise a lot of people.  

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I have no idea how good this guy is. 

I beleive this is a player short on long term opportunity..

in his short term opportunities, he has performed exceptionally well in situations where he should not have.

Thats just a glance at HDB, and Video I have seen.

He sees the ice well, will change the speed to suit his needs instantly, does not panic.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Vintage 1

On 10/19/2020 at 10:46 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Possible?

Sutter - buyout (free up cap to get another D)

Eriksson - Utica

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Gaudette

Motte - Hawryluk - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - MacEwen

Lind

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - ??

Benn

Rafferty

Not sure about Gaud or Virt in that #2RW spot though

Rafferty stats much better than Juolevi. Why doesn’t he get more love? Also how about Madison Bowie on depth right D? Good size and had good offensive talent in junior. 

8 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

Rafferty stats much better than Juolevi. Why doesn’t he get more love? Also how about Madison Bowie on depth right D? Good size and had good offensive talent in junior. 

Offensive talent alone isn’t what gets defensemen into the NHL. You have to be proficient at moving the puck out of the zone under pressure to be a regular NHLer.

Juolevi is superior to both those players in that regard.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Offensive talent alone isn’t what gets defensemen into the NHL. You have to be proficient at moving the puck out of the zone under pressure to be a regular NHLer.

Juolevi is superior to both those players in that regard.

more importantly why doesn't Bone get more love. I would say hes better than all 3 in that regard.  

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

more importantly why doesn't Bone get more love. I would say hes better than all 3 in that regard.  

We love him but understand that Boner hasn’t played one game at the professional level yet. 

With Tanev gone OJ is a good fit because he reportedly is a great PKer. He Also has the advantage of playing pro and practicing/being with the team during the bubble. 

Why does it seem like people are reluctant to play OJ?

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I would agree that he has the highest level of raw talent, but he hasn’t proven it past the NCAA level, whereas Juolevi has shown he can do it at the pro level.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We love him but understand that Boner hasn’t played one game at the professional level yet. 

With Tanev gone OJ is a good fit because he reportedly is a great PKer. He Also has the advantage of playing pro and practicing/being with the team during the bubble. 

Why does it seem like people are reluctant to play OJ?

I'm not reluctant to play OJ in the slightest. However I feel like Wrath is a guy who can keep the pressure on the other team. Plenty of players transition directly from NCAA to the NHL 

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm not reluctant to play OJ in the slightest. However I feel like Wrath is a guy who can keep the pressure on the other team. Plenty of players transition directly from NCAA to the NHL 

"Boner"? if you will was a mid round pick and is an undersized d man, coming straight out of the NCAA. I know Stecher did it but maybe better for his development to start in Utica on the top pair and play in all situations,round out his game before getting called up if/when Juolevi or Edler get hurt.

1 hour ago, davidgoliath said:

Probably also has to do with the fact that Rafferty is a year older than Virtanen yet people are regarding him as a promising young prospect. Not that he can’t be an impact player, but he’s already reaching the peak performance age for many NHL players.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Katobaron said:

Probably also has to do with the fact that Rafferty is a year older than Virtanen yet people are regarding him as a promising young prospect. Not that he can’t be an impact player, but he’s already reaching the peak performance age for many NHL players.

Rafferty is quite good, I expect him to really challenge for that third pairing on the right side. I think he can definitely make the team, very good two way d man. He at the very least, deserves a look at the major league level. 

He is quite good despite being blind in one eye which evidently hasn't affected his production or vision.

Edited by warrchief
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Rafferty is quite good, I expect him to really challenge for that third pairing on the right side. I think he can definitely make the team, very good two way d man. He at the very least, deserves a look at the major league level. 

He is quite good despite being blind in one eye which evidently hasn't affected his production or vision.

He has extra-sensory perception which enables him to feather some seemingly impossible passes, and to see openings to dangle on the rush that other players would find lead to heavy checks

I watched a lot of his games and am always amazed that, as you say, he plays almost blind in one eye (although improved by contact lenses).

See quote:

“I can still see shapes and stuff when I cover one eye, I just can’t read,” said Rafferty to the New Haven Register a few years ago. “It’s something I was born with so I never knew what it was like to have really good vision. I don’t know if it’s helped my game; if it’s made me think more on the ice instead of taking more for granted.”

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, davidgoliath said:

Because we have been waiting a very long time for Joulevi and most of us are very excited to see him turn into a player.

Raff will probably get some games too which is also exciting. This is was I wanted,I want to see some of these guys play this year 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

He has extra-sensory perception which enables him to feather some seemingly impossible passes, and to see openings to dangle on the rush that other players would find lead to heavy checks

I watched a lot of his games and am always amazed that, as you say, he plays almost blind in one eye (although improved by contact lenses).

See quote:

“I can still see shapes and stuff when I cover one eye, I just can’t read,” said Rafferty to the New Haven Register a few years ago. “It’s something I was born with so I never knew what it was like to have really good vision. I don’t know if it’s helped my game; if it’s made me think more on the ice instead of taking more for granted.”

Ah okay, I thought he had near total blindness in that eye but it's definitely a shape he never got drafted. From the games I saw in Utica, he was deserving of being an AHL all star, I expect him to chip in on offense with some of sweet passes at the NHL level.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

See quote:

that as a great quote from him. plus it has to be easier to play the man when you can't see the puck. /s

Pretty excite to see what he can do this year, same with Juolevi and Rathbone could be a sleeper as well. Its a year when we're forced to evaluate players due to the cap, and that might just turn out great for us. 

• Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 9:56 PM, davidgoliath said:

If you ask Washington and Detroit fans, he is a defensive liability. Hard pass.

• Cheers 1