The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's plan

Rate this topic

tan

49 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Whoever published this report is out to lunch on the Schmidt note but they're absolutely correct in asserting that the cap prevented us from re-signing guys.

I agree that we may have re-signed a guy like Toffoli if we had more cap.

But I think the other ones Benning had a walk away term more than price and he couldn’t get it to work. 

No way we were giving Markstrom 6 years or expansion draft protection. That was a non starter so he took the money in Calgary. It sucks but Benning made the right choice there.

As for Tanev and Stecher it was obvious Bennings goal was to upgrade the D. He likely wasn’t willing to go more than 2 years with Tanev. He could have absolutely retained both guys but then we’d basically be going with status quo.

We gave the reigns to Demko (the goalie we’ve been grooming for 6 years), upgraded the D in the top 4, and have opened up a spot for a guy like Juolevi, Rafferty, or Rathbone on the top 6.

Extra space for Benning also might have meant sign a bunch more inflated UFA contracts, so maybe it’s a blessing in disguise. Depending on the final couple moves we could still end up being a better team overall.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, philtbc829 said:

Well now Leivo has also left to join the flames....frack me it is going to be really weird playing against the flames this year....

I would have liked to sign Leivo but oh well we move on . Unless he can trade a contract I think JB is done. Up to the kids to perform now, we shall see how his D prospects do.

There are only a handful of teams with cap space and I suspect that they are all held up with internal budgets or by the Tampa situation.

Why take LE and a first when Tampa may have to give you a first, Cernak and a forward that can actually play the game.

I doubt we will see any cap dumps until Tampa gets at least one done.

The flood gates won't exactly open then because again, very few teams that have room, but will likely see a couple of cap dumps for high prices once Tampa moves.

Barring any more moves, this could look like Benning's plan as it sits now.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen/Hawryluk

Gaudette - Sutter - Hawryluk/Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - MacKewan

Lind (RW)

Eriksson (LW)

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Benn

Rathbone

Demko

Holtby

Roussel and Baertschi to the minors.

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I agree that we may have re-signed a guy like Toffoli if we had more cap.

But I think the other ones Benning had a walk away term more than price and he couldn’t get it to work. 

No way we were giving Markstrom 6 years or expansion draft protection. That was a non starter so he took the money in Calgary. It sucks but Benning made the right choice there.

As for Tanev and Stecher it was obvious Bennings goal was to upgrade the D. He likely wasn’t willing to go more than 2 years with Tanev. He could have absolutely retained both guys but then we’d basically be going with status quo.

We gave the reigns to Demko (the goalie we’ve been grooming for 6 years), upgraded the D in the top 4, and have opened up a spot for a guy like Juolevi, Rafferty, or Rathbone on the top 6.

Extra space for Benning also might have meant sign a bunch more inflated UFA contracts, so maybe it’s a blessing in disguise. Depending on the final couple moves we could still end up being a better team overall.

Yes.   I think overall we are at worse the same as last season.   Likely a better team if one of our young D’s can do a decent job.   Markstrom hurts us more then anything but absolutely it was the correct move and a Holtby/Demo tandem is just fine.   It was either Holtby or MAF and I like his cap hit a whole lot better.    And if Demko decides every game is an elimination game we just witnessed the second coming of Hasek ha ha.  Never gave up on pucks those three games were incredible.    So good he killed Vegas with the after effects vs Dallas.   That’s something I’ve only seen a few goalies manage.  Getting in heads to that degree,  the most recent was Price during a 2-3 year span where he was the best in the world and some felt the best player as well.  It intimidates the players.  

Anyhow I really couldn’t be much happier with how things went - we for sure needed a new look on our D - and nobody is calling Schmidt a downgrade on Tanev so have to take their word for it (experts i mean).   Stats back it up too.   Our D just got a lot more mobile and now we have three D’s that can move the puck out assuming Myers gets back to his career norm.   Definitely saw flashes of that especially once we were down a goal in game seven.     I’m fairly confident that OJ will earn a spot and not look out of place at all.    If you believe Craig Button, Rafferty is destined for the top four as well,  if he could beat out Benn our D transformation will happen this season.   

Woo is also highly touted by the Hockey Writers.  They like him so much they say he’s a lock for the top four as well (and have him in the top 100 one spot ahead of OJ).    Maybe JB has already done the work just by adding Schmidt?  I suspect we will still have to make one trade or one more signing to fill it out the top four ...  but there is for sure at least hope that we already have things sorted with what we currently have.   Edler cant do it forever and the team won’t have much money to pay him to play in the top four either.   I’m hoping he’s ok with third pairing money next year and staying on the team doing that role.   Would help bridge the gap until JBs finished his job on the defense.   All we really need is one of these guys you mentioned to become a good solid top four D.    If two do that then wow are we ever off to the races. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

Lind (RW)

Eriksson (LW)

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Benn

Rathbone

Demko

Holtby

Come on now.

Roussel will not be in the minors. He’s still an effective player. Just had an off year cause of surgery.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle MacEwan/Hawryluk 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

Lind (RW)

Eriksson (LW)

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Benn

Rathbone

Demko

Holtby

Wow Roussel wont be sent down 

2 hours ago, Lazurus said:

All this stuff, Benning's plan, were not many posters here applauding a plan? What plan? To do what? I will guarantee you if the team plays next year they miss the playoff (if there are only the normal amount making 16) by 10 points in a 80 game season, one veteran defenceman gets hurt and done.

You're funny chicken little.  I wish I had access to your crystal ball. Can you tell us when an effective vaccine for covid will be ready for the masses?

Back to hockey now. Tanev was a warrior for us but not having him in our lineup next year will not be THE difference in terms of the Canucks making the playoffs or not. He wasn't the Victor to our Hedman or anything. If Hughes went down for significant time, then I would be inclined to fear we'd miss the playoffs because he is that important for us, not Tanev.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Come on now.

Roussel will not be in the minors. He’s still an effective player. Just had an off year cause of surgery.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle MacEwan/Hawryluk 

I bet Roussel gets sent down before Eriksson does.

On 10/25/2020 at 9:43 PM, KirkSave said:

You're funny chicken little.  I wish I had access to your crystal ball. Can you tell us when an effective vaccine for covid will be ready for the masses?

Back to hockey now. Tanev was a warrior for us but not having him in our lineup next year will not be THE difference in terms of the Canucks making the playoffs or not. He wasn't the Victor to our Hedman or anything. If Hughes went down for significant time, then I would be inclined to fear we'd miss the playoffs because he is that important for us, not Tanev.

Not really, I just looked at the team record with Tanev hurt, pretty dismal and now he is gone full time and the team will have two and maybe three rookies on defence? It is not much of a stretch. Imagine if Edler gets hurt this year.

The owner might still bail Benning out and there is still time yet for changes but they need pretty big ones. Toffoli isn't such a big loss, he was only around for 10 games, the big loss there is Madden and the pick.

The loss of Hughes is one sided, he was pretty horrible defensively and even he stated how tired he was at the break.

Not really, I just looked at the team record with Tanev hurt, pretty dismal and now he is gone full time and the team will have two and maybe three rookies on defence? It is not much of a stretch. Imagine if Edler gets hurt this year.

The owner might still bail Benning out and there is still time yet for changes but they need pretty big ones. Toffoli isn't such a big loss, he was only around for 10 games, the big loss there is Madden and the pick.

The loss of Hughes is one sided, he was pretty horrible defensively and even he stated how tired he was at the break.

Lol...are you really going to use that ludicrous argument?

Obviously those stats on Tanev were before last season as Tanev never missed time last season. So those stats are before the team had Huggy, Myers and Miller. To top it off we have replaced Tanev with Schmidt 

• Cheers 1

You really need to adjust your outlook.  Our best guys will be improving each year and likely 2021 will not be their peak year.  We added a d man who is better than all other d-men not named Hughes.  If you wanted to pick on one area it would be our depth on paper is weaker than a year ago.  2021 will be a volatile year with probably an unusual schedule and the potential for rosters to intermittently lose players to covid.  We could be more aggressive in the short term but probably not the best case scenario leading up to an expansion year.

On 10/25/2020 at 11:43 AM, Lazurus said:

Whatever Benning HAD to do was a result of his PLAN. HIS PLAN. His plan didn't allow for resigning all the players, there was never enough cap space even if there was an increase, he didn't allow that players decline in skill when they get older, he didn't allow that other teams might get better, he didn't allow for any contingencies, he expected more unrestrained spending with an unlimited supply of money and that having only two young players was enough to keep filling the stands regardless of any win or loss record.

Juloevi HAS play now for two reasons, one is they have no one else and two, failure at the #5 spot from the expert scouting guy isn't good on his resume.

Benning is now left with two choices with his unlimited money tap shut off, he has to stick it out with ALL the pieces he has assembled as a winning team over 6 years or QUIT.

If he QUITS then he is likely never get a job in a senior position again.

And if he stays he is a Faceman and has to take all the blame for his mistakes instead of the new GM and clean house.

What do you think a new GM is going to do? Fans can't trust Benning not to make more mistakes because he doesn't think he has, he fired everyone who opposed him or got them fired/quit so he is surrounded with "yes" men.

That should be a post, What will The Next Gm Do?

All this stuff, Benning's plan, were not many posters here applauding a plan? What plan? To do what? I will guarantee you if the team plays next year they miss the playoff (if there are only the normal amount making 16) by 10 points in a 80 game season, one veteran defenceman gets hurt and done. Just look at the Canucks record without Tanev and they had more depth then.

Valium.png.c4668ab63ae91e084c87e93aad9b6596.png

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

Valium.png.c4668ab63ae91e084c87e93aad9b6596.png

I don't think the Valium would help that poster, he evidently lives to hate. Anybody predicting that the Canucks will miss the playoffs by 10 points next year and that Benning is about to lose his job is either a troll or a simpleton.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don't think the Valium would help that poster, he evidently lives to hate. Anybody predicting that the Canucks will miss the playoffs by 10 points next year and that Benning is about to lose his job is either a troll or a simpleton.

Taxing junk food and subsidizing healthy items will make us live longer and save billions in the ...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3