The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's plan

Rate this topic

tan

Just now, Qwags said:

:rolleyes:

I'm saying that the source of both the Barrie and Myers deals were the same insider.

You can't deny one without the other.

And thank you for disagreeing with your pal @Alain Vigneault that a) Myers left money on the table to come to Vancouver b) Myers had other offers, not just Vancouver

That's a very important aspect to this.

It's just too funny that the same group of people within a certain section of the board is following him around and 'agreeing' with his posts blindly. What I can see is that he cried for help.

8 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

well we can ask trevor linden, he was fired for not sharing the bosses vision right?

I did not say I did not follow his vision

I just said I always gave him the truth

Sometimes he gave me the truth back! LOL

I respected that too!

We even laughed at each other once in a while.

His most famous saying to me was......

"I hate when you come into my office with that grin!" It always costs me money! LOL

It was a mature relationship

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I respected that too!

"I hate when you come into my office with that grin!" It always costs me money! LOL

well, thats actually pretty funny. im glad you had a good relationship.

ps: i dont like all the contracts either, but i do expect there is a reasonable explanation behind them. if there wasnt a reasonable explanation, jim wouldnt have had his contract renewed.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hmm, I agree that Schmidt is an upgrade on Tanev but perhaps the combo of Demko and Holtby may surprise? I was hoping we'd land Holtby, I know his numbers haven't been as great the last couple seasons but I figure Ian Clark can help him rework his game a bit. I recall someone mentioning that when Trotz left he took Washington's goalie coach with him, perhaps there's something to that? I don't imagine they'd bring him in without consulting Clark, who we have in Holtby is up in the air til we're actually playing games. I'd imagine Demko continues to progress, but what the ends up looking like is hard to say. 

Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko will all need to be paid next offseason. But perhaps with the cap being stagnant they're given bridge deals to ride out some of our cap complications? As of right now we have roughy 20m coming off the books next offseason in Pearson, Sutter, Baer, Edler, and Spooner. But Petey, Gaudette, Hughes, Demko, and potentially Jake will need deals. One can assume Edler also comes back at a cheaper rate, but yeah that's a crunch. One would hope that one of our prospects could step in for Benn at that point. A Sutter replacement could probably be had for less, and Pearson will be 30 and we should probably be looking to replace him anyway depending on his production. Bridge deals for Petey and Hughes definitely make sense for the sake of team depth. 

The offseason after we have roughly another 20m coming off in Eriksson, Beagle, Rouss, Motte, Holtby, and Luongo. I'll assume Edler has a one year deal expiring as well. You've got to replace bodies, but the only big fish that offseason to re-up is Boeser and they'd likely retain Motte. Rathbone and Mac are also worth mentioning as rfa's. The deals of Horvat, Miller, and Ferland expire the following season. 

Lots of question marks for sure, but if we can get through next offseason we should have a bit of flex going forward? Finding a way to move Loui out this offseason or next would go a long way to making cap easier to juggle. Moving him with one year left vs two shouldn't be as a painful or expensive. Having some of our rookies step in and play at respectable levels would be huge.

One thing to consider though is that a number of other teams will likely be experiencing similar cap crunches, particularly if teams set internal caps and don't spend to the cap. This could potentially be a mitigating factor. If we take a step back next season or the season after due to cap reasons I don't imagine we'd be the only team doing so. There's not really much margin for error with larger contracts or term, which is why I'm glad we've stayed away from both thus far this offseason. Wouldn't be surprised to see next offseason be approached in a similar manner. 

Yep.  Mitch Korn is the guy you're referring to and he's one of the best.  He certainly gave Lehner the boost he needed and made Varlamov/Greiss a really reliable tandem since joining the Islanders.  FWIW, I liked the Holtby signing too, mostly because he has a wealth of playoff experience, including the Cup final win.  I'm not so much worried about his numbers (I think they'll go up) but I am interested to seeing how he plays under our system where we rely heavily on the goaltending seeing the shots.  Markstrom thrived on that from a mental standpoint.  I'd have to watch 8 years of videos to maybe see what Washington was like.  Ian Clark will have a load on his plate but he's got a fairly decent goalie to try and rehabilitate.

Ideally, we can secure bridge deals and lower the costs slightly, COVID and all, but the RFAs in recent off-seasons have demonstrated that they want their money.  I was saying earlier that Rantanen should be a good reference point for Pettersson with us preparing to go up an extra 500k or so due to his C position.  With Hughes, it should be lower by 1-2M but him and Makar play such a unique game as defenders and they could fetch sums that are market anomalies as a result.  For instance, who do you compare Hughes to as a reference point?  Torey Krug?  Maybe from an offensive standpoint but defensively, who knows?

I think we will see movement on a Sutter/Baertschi buy-out relative soon, perhaps a trade involving the one that doesn't get bought out.  That will help things but only marginally so.  The reality is that have to find a way out of one of Roussel/Beagle or bite a massive bullet on Eriksson.  We may get "lucky" with Ferland and LTIR but that's not really a feasible solution in this moment.

You are right, these unprecedented conditions will affect every team and force teams into internal caps/less real money spending/etc..  With that said, we're suffering because of overcommitments we made to the bottom-six on contracts we signed over 2 years ago, which in turn are contributing into whatever restrictions we have or implications we are facing.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

And thank you for disagreeing with your pal @Alain Vigneault that a) Myers left money on the table to come to Vancouver b) Myers had other offers, not just Vancouver

It's just too funny that the same group of people within a certain section of the board is following him around and 'agreeing' with his posts blindly. What I can see is that he cried for help.

Way to just ignore my point. I'm saying you ignoring Dreger when it comes to Barrie, but not when it comes to Myers is par for the course for you. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DSVII said:

That's very bold of you to assume either Petey or Hughes will settle for $8.5mil x 7 years.

The part that terrifies me is quality UFAs. Benning has missed more than hit with these. I think Miller and Vrbata were his best ones still, but everything since then has been meh to horrible. 

Context matters

4 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Yep.  Mitch Korn is the guy you're referring to and he's one of the best.  He certainly gave Lehner the boost he needed and made Varlamov/Greiss a really reliable tandem since joining the Islanders.  FWIW, I liked the Holtby signing too, mostly because he has a wealth of playoff experience, including the Cup final win.  I'm not so much worried about his numbers (I think they'll go up) but I am interested to seeing how he plays under our system where we rely heavily on the goaltending seeing the shots.  Markstrom thrived on that from a mental standpoint.  I'd have to watch 8 years of videos to maybe see what Washington was like.  Ian Clark will have a load on his plate but he's got a fairly decent goalie to try and rehabilitate.

Ideally, we can secure bridge deals and lower the costs slightly, COVID and all, but the RFAs in recent off-seasons have demonstrated that they want their money.  I was saying earlier that Rantanen should be a good reference point for Pettersson with us preparing to go up an extra 500k or so due to his C position.  With Hughes, it should be lower by 1-2M but him and Makar play such a unique game as defenders and they could fetch sums that are market anomalies as a result.  For instance, who do you compare Hughes to as a reference point?  Torey Krug?  Maybe from an offensive standpoint but defensively, who knows?

I think we will see movement on a Sutter/Baertschi buy-out relative soon, perhaps a trade involving the one that doesn't get bought out.  That will help things but only marginally so.  The reality is that have to find a way out of one of Roussel/Beagle or bite a massive bullet on Eriksson.  We may get "lucky" with Ferland and LTIR but that's not really a feasible solution in this moment.

You are right, these unprecedented conditions will affect every team and force teams into internal caps/less real money spending/etc..  With that said, we're suffering because of overcommitments we made to the bottom-six on contracts we signed over 2 years ago, which in turn are contributing into whatever restrictions we have or implications we are facing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Holtby's numbers went up as well, I think Clark will be good for him. But would that combined with Demko be enough? Holtby's got better pedigree than Markstrom, and his wealth of experience and his individual (Vezina) and team (Cup, Jennings) awards combined are more than any goaltender we've ever had I believe. I think he'll be valuable for Demko, but it's hard to guess how things go? 

I don't know who you'd compare Hughes to, it's so early and there's really nobody out there. Maybe Neidermeyer back in the day? He was a sublime skater as well, and wasn't overly physical from what I recall, but a beast on both ends of the ice. Rantenen's pretty close to 9, an additional 500k would have us pretty close to 10m. Is it possible to win with such an expensive center? We have to keep him, but that's a really painful number with a dead cap. Him and Hughes being up that high could hamstring us the way those Hawks contracts are hurting them, and we haven't won anything yet. 

Sutter and Baer are likely much cheaper/easier moves. For all the flack he gets, Sutter can still play. Baer only having a year left helps, maybe he can work out elsewhere? I think Rouss has value, I wouldn't be surprised to see him bounce back, he struggled with injuries last season. Moving Eriksson would hurt, but that's a lot of cap space. Moving him would clear up most of one of Hughes/Petey. 

Ferland's such a wild card. We can't count on him being in the lineup, but we can't count on him being LTIR either. He's got a NMC this upcoming season too, so he's not going anywhere. 

We are, though I understand why those contracts were given at the time. I'm not sure anyone saw Eriksson failing so spectacularly, even if some were skeptical of the deal at the time. 

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Alain just makes up crap to make Benning look bad for some reason. It's actually hilarious. Pure entertainment, especially when he's blatantly contradicting himself.

If Benning really had an offer of 5 M, which I surmise from Alain is a bad offer, why did Barrie sign for 3.75 then in Edmonton?

We never had Covid last UFA 2019??? 

Money is being spent much different with cap frozen for next 2-3 years??? Only few guys signing over 6 million?? How many 3 guys?

How many guys signing over 5 million? 

Years before every GM would spend stupid money on UFA signings...

Benning made great signings..

Schmidt -- # 2 solid D man 29 -- Top mins for Vegas in 2020 playoffs

Holby -- Solid guy will work great with Demko -- Clark will fine tune his game? Look what Clark did for Markstrom

Gaudette -- 900,000 great deal

MacEwen - Another good deal

Motte - Good deal...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Way to just ignore my point. I'm saying you ignoring Dreger when it comes to Barrie, but not when it comes to Myers is par for the course for you. 

No, I'm willing to reconsider my belief that Barrie didn't want to come to Vancouver, and it wasn't about the money. It's just funny as I said that logic seems to fade into oblivion when it comes to a certain member's inner circle.

Look no further than the one who is liking all your posts, even though you have invalidated a point of his. I'm sure he's rather displeased about that. Maybe not.

Edited by Dazzle

49 minutes ago, Qwags said:

:rolleyes:

I'm saying that the source of both the Barrie and Myers deals were the same insider.

You can't deny one without the other.

Is Dreger correct 100% of the time? I'd love to think that an insider can just connect the dots like that, but my faith in this isn't exactly there. I don't see how, if one's true, the other is true in this case. Not saying it isn't the case, but using an insider to create truth isn't really a concrete point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Holtby's numbers went up as well, I think Clark will be good for him. But would that combined with Demko be enough? Holtby's got better pedigree than Markstrom, and his wealth of experience and his individual (Vezina) and team (Cup, Jennings) awards combined are more than any goaltender we've ever had I believe. I think he'll be valuable for Demko, but it's hard to guess how things go? 

I don't know who you'd compare Hughes to, it's so early and there's really nobody out there. Maybe Neidermeyer back in the day? He was a sublime skater as well, and wasn't overly physical from what I recall, but a beast on both ends of the ice. Rantenen's pretty close to 9, an additional 500k would have us pretty close to 10m. Is it possible to win with such an expensive center? We have to keep him, but that's a really painful number with a dead cap. Him and Hughes being up that high could hamstring us the way those Hawks contracts are hurting them, and we haven't won anything yet. 

Sutter and Baer are likely much cheaper/easier moves. For all the flack he gets, Sutter can still play. Baer only having a year left helps, maybe he can work out elsewhere? I think Rouss has value, I wouldn't be surprised to see him bounce back, he struggled with injuries last season. Moving Eriksson would hurt, but that's a lot of cap space. Moving him would clear up most of one of Hughes/Petey. 

Ferland's such a wild card. We can't count on him being in the lineup, but we can't count on him being LTIR either. He's got a NMC this upcoming season too, so he's not going anywhere. 

We are, though I understand why those contracts were given at the time. I'm not sure anyone saw Eriksson failing so spectacularly, even if some were skeptical of the deal at the time. 

On paper, it's a fine tandem but it will come down to system.  Whether the system is good enough will be dependent on the defence.  As of today, the defence as a whole is not better than how it was yesterday, even if we did add a great defender in Schmidt.  Relying on rookies like Juolevi/Chatfield/Rafferty is not a terrible solution but its certainly not a great one either.

I like the Neidermayer comparison but his last game was over 10 years ago.  The money structure in the NHL has changed since then.

The thing about the contracts that made things bad was that both term AND money were given.  It's one thing to commit to getting guys locked in long at a cheaper rate or short-term while securing a bigger bag, but we gave them both.  Jim got taken to the cleaners on July 1st, 2018 and he really should have known when to have walked away since it was bottom-six players he was dealing with. 

Get it wrong with Eriksson?  That's forgivable for a player of his (then) calibre. 

Gave a bit too much term to 50 pt Gagner?  Well, he was halfway out the league in 2015 before but rebounded nicely to earn this type of contract.  Shame it happened again so soon.

Get it wrong with career 20 and 30 pt bottom-six players?  That's a sackable offence and you have only yourself to blame.

Like with Myers, Barrie, Lucic (well-noted that he tried to sign him and then trade for him), etc. when Jim likes a guy, he really wants them.  That's been his downfall at times and it's showing now.

Edited by Alain Vigneault

53 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I shouldn't involve myself but the Barrie report is much different than the Myers report.

The Barrie report of the Canucks offer can likely be substantiated through evidence of the Canucks interest in years past (tracking him since 2016, almost getting him at 2019 draft, trying hard to get him at this year's TD, etc).  In fact, news that he turned down more money was corroborated by reliable people like Rick Dhaliwal, IIRC.  So, it wasn't one source saying it.

With Myers taking less money, it was just something that leaked on the day of free-agency.  There were no reports about other teams interested in Myers, at least not on the mainstream level, much less anybody else reporting that he was moving to Vancouver AND taking less money to do so.  I believe it was Botchford that started talking about the possibility of the Canucks being interested in Myers just past the start of the season during the 2018/19.  Eventually, much like the notion of Bobrovsky to Florida, it just became a foregone conclusion that he would end up in Vancouver.  It makes a lot more sense for management to leak that they signed him for less to show that they managed to strike a good deal since many people already assumed they get him anyway as they were the only noted "serious" contender for his services.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

On paper, it's a fine tandem but it will come down to system.  Whether the system is good enough will be dependent on the defence.  As of today, the defence as a whole is not better than how it was yesterday, even if we did add a great defender in Schmidt.  Relying on rookies like Juolevi/Chatfield/Rafferty is not a terrible solution but its certainly not a great one either.

I like the Neidermayer comparison but his last game was over 10 years ago.  The money structure in the NHL has changed since then.

The thing about the contracts that made things bad was that both term AND money were given.  It's one thing to commit to getting guys locked in long at a cheaper rate or short-term while securing a bigger bag, but we gave them both.  Jim got taken to the cleaners on July 1st, 2018 and he really should have known when to have walked away since it was bottom-six players he was dealing with. 

Get it wrong with Eriksson?  That's forgivable for a player of his (then) calibre. 

Gave a bit too much term to 50 pt Gagner?  Well, he was halfway out the league in 2015 before but rebounded nicely to earn this type of contract.  Shame it happened again so soon.

Get it wrong with career 20 and 30 pt bottom-six players?  That's a sackable offence and you have only yourself to blame.

Like with Myers, Barrie, Lucic (well-noted that he tried to sign him and then trade for him), etc. when Jim likes a guy, he really wants them.  That's been his downfall at times and it's showing now.

I question whether they're done, or whether they're still interested in trying to bring someone in for Stecher's spot. I feel something's gotta give capwise, I just don't know who it'd be. Isn't there a buyout window attached to Jake's arbitration? Perhaps that's why they're waiting on a deal? If so, it's probably Sutter who goes. But is Gaudette ready to take over for Sutter? I'm also curious as to whether Green will have the team play the same system as last season, or if we might see something slightly different. I'm still skeptical of Brown and Baumer as assistants. 

Definitely, I just can't think of anyone else that really springs to mind as far as playing style goes. Maker and Hughes are fairly unique. 

I'm still a bit surprised Gagner didn't get more rope here, shame he didn't work out. He should have stayed in Columbus. Sometimes it be like that though, Beagle was likely in high demand after being part of that Caps cup team. Rouss had respectable third line numbers which continued into his first season with us, I'm wondering if he might not get back to the mid 20's-30's for points next season if he's still around. They might be 1m overpaid each, which isn't huge. It's a shame Sutter hasn't been able to stay healthy much of his tenure here, could have been a different story. Sutter and Eriksson hurt, no question, but I'm not as prepared to say Rouss and Beagle hurt us as much as I still think they're serviceable at their cap hits. That Luongo capture really hurts too. 

I'm not sure about Myers, ufa's are often a bit overpaid, that's just the nature of ufa a lot of the time. Does it have to be that way? Nah, but you risk losing out on guys. I wonder if Myer's might be the guy taken by Seattle. We don't have to protect Hughes, but we'll probably protect Schmidt, Juolevi, and Rathbone (?). Wasn't Barrie reportedly offered a one year deal at 5m? If so, at least term wasn't attached to the offer. I think he's learning, and there's no way management doesn't know they don't have a ton of wiggle room this offseason and the next. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I shouldn't involve myself but the Barrie report is much different than the Myers report.

The Barrie report of the Canucks offer can likely be substantiated through evidence of the Canucks interest in years past (tracking him since 2016, almost getting him at 2019 draft, trying hard to get him at this year's TD, etc).  In fact, news that he turned down more money was corroborated by reliable people like Rick Dhaliwal, IIRC.  So, it wasn't one source saying it.

With Myers taking less money, it was just something that leaked on the day of free-agency.  There were no reports about other teams interested in Myers, at least not on the mainstream level, much less anybody else reporting that he was moving to Vancouver AND taking less money to do so.  I believe it was Botchford that started talking about the possibility of the Canucks being interested in Myers just past the start of the season during the 2018/19.  Eventually, much like the notion of Bobrovsky to Florida, it just became a foregone conclusion that he would end up in Vancouver.  It makes a lot more sense for management to leak that they signed him for less to show that they managed to strike a good deal since many people already assumed they get him anyway as they were the only noted "serious" contender for his services.

Source(s)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I question whether they're done, or whether they're still interested in trying to bring someone in for Stecher's spot. I feel something's gotta give capwise, I just don't know who it'd be. Isn't there a buyout window attached to Jake's arbitration? Perhaps that's why they're waiting on a deal? If so, it's probably Sutter who goes. But is Gaudette ready to take over for Sutter? I'm also curious as to whether Green will have the team play the same system as last season, or if we might see something slightly different. I'm still skeptical of Brown and Baumer as assistants. 

Definitely, I just can't think of anyone else that really springs to mind as far as playing style goes. Maker and Hughes are fairly unique. 

I'm still a bit surprised Gagner didn't get more rope here, shame he didn't work out. He should have stayed in Columbus. Sometimes it be like that though, Beagle was likely in high demand after being part of that Caps cup team. Rouss had respectable third line numbers which continued into his first season with us, I'm wondering if he might not get back to the mid 20's-30's for points next season if he's still around. They might be 1m overpaid each, which isn't huge. It's a shame Sutter hasn't been able to stay healthy much of his tenure here, could have been a different story. Sutter and Eriksson hurt, no question, but I'm not as prepared to say Rouss and Beagle hurt us as much as I still think they're serviceable at their cap hits. That Luongo capture really hurts too. 

I'm not sure about Myers, ufa's are often a bit overpaid, that's just the nature of ufa a lot of the time. Does it have to be that way? Nah, but you risk losing out on guys. I wonder if Myer's might be the guy taken by Seattle. We don't have to protect Hughes, but we'll probably protect Schmidt, Juolevi, and Rathbone (?). Wasn't Barrie reportedly offered a one year deal at 5m? If so, at least term wasn't attached to the offer. I think he's learning, and there's no way management doesn't know they don't have a ton of wiggle room this offseason and the next. 

Whether it's a 500K overpayment for one guy, 1M for another, etc. it all adds up.  I don't think any of these guys are bad players, they're just obviously not worth the price and term altogether, even if you do think character/leadership/grit should be compensated.  As much as getting deals over the line are important, being patient and having the discipline to walk away when you're getting into dangerous territory is also part of the job.

It could be learning.  Although, he knows there will be outrage if there are issues with getting Pettersson/Hughes/Demko signed next year.  There's definitely a level of pragmatism going on.

All things considered, the responses in free-agency have been okay.  Getting into this mess in the first place is where the issues lie.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I respected that too!

Had a similar relationship in my last role, it’s great as it’s built on mutual respect. Each person has a job and skills they bring and is valued because of that. 

it’s a good place to be where you can pull your boss to one side and even tell them you think they are going down the wrong track and it’s a mature conversation, makes the focus on work continual improvement rather than arse covering and tick box exercises 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Probably, beside his ability to see the past and predict the future, he is also able to clone himself !?

birth GIF

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Possibly, but couldn't they sign AP while they still had Schmidt, and move Schmidt after the AP signing? There is a certain time frame that these things can occur, yes? 

I'm also just a bit skeptical that if Vegas called up one of the cap bottom teams and offered Schmidt for a pick that they wouldn't say yes. Would Benning have tried to close the deal for a 4th and risk losing Schmidt?

regards,  G.

I think Schmidt's M-NTC would have factored in here, and he likely listed those basement teams with lots of cap space on his "no go" list.

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Assuming that it's a 1 year, prove it deal, why would he take less given that he will be expected to play like he did in Toronto, where he WAS exposed? This does not take into account that this so-called opportunity actually could sink his value.

Perhaps he didn't want to play in Vancouver, and purposefully took less not to play there. It's possible. Yet this doesn't explain @Alain Vigneault 's logic that Myers could not have any bidders except Vancouver. (His narrative was Benning was a moron for signing him at 6M, AND that Myers didn't take a discount deal, even though speculation suggested he'd go for 7-8M).

No thanks, I don't need help from some guy I've never even seen on the forum try to talk down on me. Never even had an interaction until now, and it's hilarious that Alain Vigneault already seems to have followed you around. Multiple accounts?

Regardless, it's pretty obvious who's following whom. The same bunch of people following each other around. Hmm....

Bingo.   I’ve analyzed the inflection and use of certain terms after and your almost certainly talking to the same guy who after one post saying he as putting you on ignore - was back right at it with duplicate accounts.    It’s the use of dumb that comes out very strong and gave it away more then anything.    Otherwise enjoying the show ha ha. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1