The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames Sign Josh Leivo

I definitely wanted Leivo back, and at that price, can’t see the downside in giving him a deal.

Worst case, the contract would be able to be full buried in the AHL, and he’d provide some NHL quality depth for our system. 

Best case, he’d excel in a middle/top-six spot, and at a rate that would allow us significant cap savings, over pretty much any player he displaced from the lineup.

I suppose the bright side is that this provides more opportunities for some of the younger depth players like Jasek, Lockwood, Michaelis, etc to break into the NHL lineup, as well as the higher end guys like Höglander, Podkolzin, Lind, etc.

• Vintage 1

If the Flames are waiting for Louie Erickson's contract to end then GMJB has a deal for them.

......either that or they can grab him for free on waivers at the start of the season.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, coryberg said:

We can sign players under a million all we want (as long as we are under 50 contracts) their salary only counts against the cap if they are with the big club.

Don't think we should be signing more players when we're already 1.5m over the cap and have a full roster. Just creates more problems 

• Wat 1

7 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Sign Iginla and Kipper to a PTO

I would say we go higher and sign local boy and Flames Assistant GM Brad Pascal to a promotion in the Canucks organization.

This avoids cap issues and gives us a very bright hockey mind and potential future replacement to Benning if and when needed.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

He was showing some great promise before his injury. I don’t see him making a difference for Calgary though. 

I don’t see Tanev making a huge difference either.

Markstrom is the only one that concerns me, Calgary has had terrible goaltending for years, suddenly they have the 4th -5th best in the league.

It doesn’t make any sense that we wouldn’t sign him for that amount.  He was our best fill in top 6 guy last season.

Maybe we have more info on his injury than other teams?

I really hope that it means we have some other dominos falling.  I hope it isn’t just us just letting the chips fall on next season with whatever happens.  With a Canadian division we are in really tough. No crappy rebuilding California teams to beat up on and all the Canadian teams got better this offseason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JB seems to have made his bed with Motte, Hawryluk and MacEwen.. that’s an obvious style he’s courting right there for the bottom 6 and they’re all young and cheap enough to work with long term. 

We’ve long noticed there were too many middle 6 types on the roster... with Leivo’s injury it seems like they just aren’t willing to commit.  I would have been fine gambling on him at that price but more opportunity for Jake in the top 6 or Hoglander/Lind etc.  Not like we don’t have options.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Treliving loves his rivals sloppy seconds.. last season he went full Oilers. 

I don't know what he sees in his group, but he's loading up like they are cup contenders. A team led by boring Monahan and Little Johhny aint going past the 1st round. :lol:

none of these signings worry me at all. Lots of question marks in our ex players.

Marky - He's been elite for a year and a half, had back to back injuries to end the season, 30 yrs old and is signed for 6 more years. fLame fans better hope he's still elite without Ian Clark by his side.

Tanev - Tanman has a lot of milage on that body. We got his best years.. and even in his prime he couldn't stay healthy. His D partner is going to be Hanifin, a career minus player... huge downgrade from Hughes. he's going to get hit and block a lot of shots with Hanifin as his partner. 

Leivo - good price but that knee injury took him out for a whole season. Knee injuries are hard to fully recover from. He's not going to be the same player. 

Domingue - we want Jake to come in camp in shape. get his baking away from this team! :frantic:

• Cheers 2