The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Division Standings 2020

Rate this topic

Ms.Glitter

Canadian Division Standings 2020  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK, so it looks like we are almost set for a Canadian division to start the year, which is really exciting, what a unique change.

we will probably play each team 5 or 6 times?  so 35 games or so

Let's anticipate the season with your thoughts on this unique division, probably one time only!   

1) Vancouver    - Our core group will improve this year, we have a lot of talent and we should add reinforcements in the new year

2) Edmonton     - Our games v Alberta will be really hard fought no doubt

3) Toronto        - I really dislike the Leafs, they make me uncomfortable and I love defeating them

4) Calgary    -  They are going to be a real deep solid team, its good for us that there's no Sea of Red this year.

5) Montreal  -     Wildcard team, could finish anywhere from 1-6

6) Winnipeg    - plenty of talent but a weaker D and inconsistency issues

7) Ottawa    -  Future is looking brighter, but still a bottom feeder

You are beautiful, let's appreciate small joys and moments.  You are special and loved.  Treat each other so well!  it's beauty in life!

Thank you to posters for their requests on the post!  

Addendum:  

3 Year Overall Record vs Canadian Teams

Team Record Games Played Points Earned Point %
Toronto 29-11-6 46 64 .693
Winnipeg 27-12-3 42 57 .683
Montreal 28-11-8 47 64 .682
Calgary 25-18-7 50 57 .575
Edmonton 22-24-5 51 49 .481
Ottawa 17-25-4 46 38 .412
Vancouver 18-28-4 50 40 .396

3 Year Overall Record vs Individual Team

Team vs CGY vs EDM vs MTL vs OTT vs TOR vs Van vs WPG
CGY -------------- 7-5-1 1-4-1 4-2 3-2-1 7-3-2 3-2-2
EDM 6-6-1 -------------- 5-0-1 2-2-1 1-5 6-6 2-5-2
MTL 5-0-1 1-5 -------------- 9-1-2 4-4-3 5-0-1 4-1-1
OTT 2-4 3-2 3-7-2 -------------- 5-5-1 2-3-1 2-4
TOR 3-2-1 5-1 7-1-3 6-5 -------------- 4-1-1 4-1-1
VAN 5-7 6-4-2 1-5 4-1-1 2-3-1 -------------- 0-8
WPG 4-3 7-1-1 2-3-1 4-1-1 2-4 8-0 --------------

2019-20 Season

Winnipeg 9-3 12 18 .750
Montreal 10-3-2 15 22 .733
Calgary 8-4-2 14 18 .643
Toronto 7-3-4 14 18 .643
Edmonton 7-7-2 16 16 .500
Ottawa 4-7-3 14 11 .393
Vancouver 5-10 15 10 .333

2018-19 Season

Montreal 11-2-3 16 25 .781
Toronto 10-4 -2 16 22 .688
Calgary 9-7-2 18 20 .556
Edmonton 7-7-3 17 17 .500
Vancouver 8-9-1 18 17 .472
Ottawa 7-8-1 16 15 .469
Winnipeg 6-7-2 15 14 .467

2017-18 Season

Winnipeg 12-2-1 15 25 .833
Toronto 12-4 16 24 .750
Montreal 7-6-3 16 17 .531
Calgary 8-7-3 18 19 .528
Edmonton 8-10 18 16 .444
Vancouver 5-9-3 17 13 .382
Ottawa 6-10 16 12 .375

TL;DR

- Leafs are just barely the best team over the last three years from a point percentage perspective. I probably have a typo or two in the data and we can assume it benefits them incorrectly.

- Leafs, Habs and Jets all standout as having more success against fellow Canadian teams.

- Vancouver and Ottawa are noticeably worse against fellow Canadian teams.

- Jets 2017-18 was the most dominant season in the last three years vs other Canadian teams at a 12-2-1 record and .833 point percentage.

- Standout Team Matchups:

• Edmonton 5-0-1 against Montreal
  • Montreal 5-0-1 against Calgary
  • Montreal 9-1-2 against Ottawa
  • Montreal 5-0-1 against Vancouver
  • Toronto 5-1 against Edmonton
  • Winnipeg 7-1-1 against Edmonton
  • Winnipeg 8-0 against Vancouver
Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Like 1

I wouldn’t put Vancouver  to win, we were shrewd with the contracts added, however this is a take stock year and see what some of the next group of prospects can bring. We made some good future signings but again we are not yet the finished article. 

I would anticipate that Edmonton probably win the division and then flop in the post season and have probably Calgary & Toronto next and then us Winnipeg and Montreal in the group behind. 

I think the moves we made were for the best of the team however I don’t think it will turn into immediate success this year but in two years when we reap the prudence of this off season 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dm_ranger said:

I think Calgary is going to be trouble.  Tanev and Marky are great adds for them.  I don't think the contracts will age well, so I'm glad we didn't sign them but next year both those players could be huge for the Flames. 

Yep in the medium term it’s going to bite them, however in the short term they should get some decent performances from them 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Regular Season Standings:

1). Toronto

2). Edmonton

3). Calgary

4). Vancouver

5). Montreal

6). Winnipeg

7). Ottawa

Very tough division, very little to choose between the top 6 teams. A hot streak here and a cold one there could dictate a team’s fate. I am not sure how the playoffs will work, we may have only top 4 team making the playoffs. If that’s the case, this means at least 2 good teams won’t make the playoffs. I see 6 Canadian teams making the playoffs if all teams play in their regular divisions. 

• Vintage 1

I thought this was going to be an analysis of what a hypothetical Canadian division would have been like using the 2019-2020 head to head results

Like was done here: 

Spoiler alert: it didn't look good for us. Mostly because we suck against Winnipeg and Montreal

2019-20 Season

Winnipeg 9-3 12 18 .750
Montreal 10-3-2 15 22 .733
Calgary 8-4-2 14 18 .643
Toronto 7-3-4 14 18 .643
Edmonton 7-7-2 16 16 .500
Ottawa 4-7-3 14 11 .393
Vancouver 5-10 15 10 .333

• Thanks 4

Thanks for the reply!  I added that useful information to the post!! 

It's great to have others offer their info and research. This is all part of the beauty and learning and progress available in online communities like this !

I have also found that the vast majority of people love to share in the togetherness and knowledge.

Keep being an amazing community, because there is so much joy in life.

Love to you all. 

Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I thought this was going to be an analysis of what a hypothetical Canadian division would have been like using the 2019-2020 head to head results

Like was done here: 

Spoiler alert: it didn't look good for us. Mostly because we suck against Winnipeg and Montreal

Yikes... 

Jay Z Reaction GIF by Complex

• Huggy Bear 1

I think it's honestly a toss-up between any team besides Ottawa and Edmonton (crap goalies, still no real depth, maybe Kahun could surprise?  Not enough IMO)

Montreal was my winner - Price gets backup in Allen, LD's in Romanov/ Edmundson, plus scoring up front (Toffoli, Anderson); pretty stacked if Price plays well

Next, in no particular order...
Winnipeg (Stastny/ DeMelo solidify RHD and 2C respectively, and Hellebuyck's at the top of the game; not sure if Brossoit is good enough with more B2B's tho)
Calgary (Markstrom/ Tanev, plus all their returning guys make this a solid group too, probably just a notch below MTL in goal, doubt contracts age well though)
Toronto (Brodie/ Bogosian solidify RHD, BUT I still doubt their grit for the playoffs (Simmonds isn't top-6 at this point, and that group's still too soft IMO)

Vancouver (Holtby's a steal 1B to replace Marky, slight downgrade but good contract; Schmidt is a steal; question marks in Jake, Demko and 3rd pair D)

Welcome to the basement, friends...

Edmonton (Kahun and Puljujarvi are too big of question marks for me, and Mike Smith isn't good enough)
Ottawa (are the kids ready?  Dadonov's a good add; Murray might get exposed behind that RHD)  

• Like 1

My prediction:

1. Toronto

2. Winnipeg

3. Edmonton

4. Vancouver

5. Calgary

6. Montreal

7. Ottawa

Toronto and Winnipeg had our number for a while and I don't see that changing next season. Both teams have the star power up front to put our defence and checking lines under quite a bit of pressure. And in Winnipeg's case, a great goaltender that we've had trouble beating for a while.

With those two teams in the division, I don't see us winning the division, let alone finishing top 2.

I think it's going to be a dog fight between Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton. I picked Edmonton and Vancouver to make it, Edmonton has the star power and they've shown signs of playing competitive hockey (at least in the regular season) and Vancouver has enough depth up front and rising super stars to carry the team forward. Calgary doesn't quite have the star powers unless Gaudreau and Monahan steps up their game. Giordano is older. Marky is going into a new environment with new system, I somehow get the feeling that Marky will struggle out of the gate and that will be enough in a shortened season to put them behind Vancouver and Edmonton.

5 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Like was done here: 

Thanks for sharing this.

Based on this data, we are finishing second to last, only ahead of Ottawa.

Edmonton, Vancouver, Ottawa will be the last 3 teams based on this. It's grim.

Hopefully Petey and Hughes will take big steps. Schmidt will help a lot. And hopefully Demko and Holtby can get it done. 

• Like 1

1. Toronto - As much as i hate to put them up here, that core of Marner/Matthews/Pajama will carry them to the top spot. They are only good in the regular season. 

2. Vancouver - Our young superstar core led by Petey and Hughes will be a year older and will carry the experience from the playoffs to elevate their game even more. I think we will see a breakout year from Gaud and a big year offensively for Jake now that Toffoli is gone.

I think Schmidt will do wonders to our offensive attack. He and Hughes will give us a dynamic attack from the blueline. and i really like the potential for a Juolevi - Rafferty bottom pairing, i think that's an upgrade on Fanta-Benn from a puck moving point of view.

Demko/Holtby pairing gives us a solid tandem, im really excited to see a rejuvenated Holtby under Ian Clark and the Demko continuing his development.. I slight downgrade from Marky but Demko was out of this world vs Vegas. Marky was getting lit up by Vegas people forget, before Demko went in there and took Vegas's soul. 

3.Edmonton - Same as Toronto, bad team that will get dragged by Mclottery and Drysaddle. Their goaltending is suspect, their Dgot even weaker somehow but they have Mcdavid...

4. Montreal - I liked their offseason moves, Toffoli was a nice addition to a team that struggled to score and with Carey Price still playing in vezina calibre they will always be in the hunt. 

5. Calgary - They made a lot of noise by signing all of our castoffs but I don't think they've improved that much. offence is still the same, Marky is a slight upgrade but he's a giant question mark whether or not he will still able to play at an elite level with a new goalie coach/new system new defence in front of him. 

6. Winnipeg - Meh, preety much the same team, perhaps Hellebuyk can steal more games for them i dunno but im down on them, they looked really terrible in the playin.

7. Ottawa - they have a team. 

• Upvote 1

1. Vancouver: Upgraded defense, fueled by a young core that is only getting better.
  2. Montreal: Solid defense, excellent goaltending, young centers are developing well, and some good off-season moves.
  3. Winnipeg: Hard team to play against, upgraded their #2 center slot.
  4. Ottawa: Clearly  a young team on the rise; I see a lot of similarities with us last season
  5. Toronto: Still have a buttery soft group and only 3 NHL defensemen in Muzzin, Bogosian, and Brodie.  Not sure who'll be killing penalties for them but I'm looking forward to the easy goals.
  6. Calgary: Defense took a step back, and their top six is still filled with gutless chickens who play scared.  They'd get bullied by the Khazak women's team.
  7. Edmonton: Two superstars doesn't balance out an AHL quality bottom 6, bad goaltending, and bringing in a massive liability in Barrie.  McDiver requests a trade to an actual NHL team before the deadline.
  • Haha 4

Read 'em and weep"

TOR

EDM

MTL

CGY

WPG

VAN

OTT

Remember when it felt like the Canucks almost became a contender there for a few minutes? Now it feels like the Canucks have taken a big step back by losing key players and not fixing that bottom 6. The bottom pairing D could be scary as well.  

• Upvote 1