The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, skategal said:

I think in BC in most instances in order for a business to resume operations, they have to have clear policies around sanitation and how they are going to keep employees and customers safe, in at least some instances that has to be posted.  WorkSafe BC requirements.  

Not for teachers and childcare staff unfortunately.... seems like work safe doesn't apply to them.....

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, samurai said:

some of the best writing you will find in any field is often before the 90s.  A lot of really good academics dating back to the 1920s that are relevant  have been forgotten.  You can make a career out taking this forgotten work and recasting it as somewhat your own . Steven Pinker's widely selling The Better Angels of Our Nature is basically the same thesis as Norbet Elias's 1940 The Civilizing Process.  The latter blows the former away in literary style and depth.

It is a a grave mistake to think that older work is less quality than the up to date.  Often it is the opposite. 

thats very true. I have an interest in industrial design and some of the best work ever still to this day came out of 1920s Germany. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

15 cases with the very little testing being done here... means more like 150 to 200 cases in the province....

I think 90% of cases are not being tested due to mild symptoms / younger people getting it.

You have to realize that to eliminate this virus we NEED much HIGHER rates of testing here in BC and in Canada. 

I don't think we will ever eliminate the virus fully (until a vaccine at least).  Just too many variables to keep under control and too contagious.  We just gotta keep those numbers low not in the hopes of elimination but so the hospital system doesn't get overburdened.

Increased testing will help us know the full scope of the situation and better keep things under control.  I sincerely hope if anyone has any doubts if they have COVID-19 or not they get tested.  Sounds like anyone who asks can get one. 

Not for teachers and childcare staff unfortunately.... seems like work safe doesn't apply to them.....

I can only speak for my site, but we have pretty clear protocols.  One student comes in at a time, they go through a series of questions, have to wash their hands, etc.  We have an extra janitor now that is soley dedicated to cleaning work spaces, high touch areas, etc.  As long as the number of students is low, it is manageable.  As I said though, I can only speak for my site (which has older students).  I'd be curious to see how things would be different at an elementary school.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I can only speak for my site, but we have pretty clear protocols.  One student comes in at a time, they go through a series of questions, have to wash their hands, etc.  We have an extra janitor now that is soley dedicated to cleaning work spaces, high touch areas, etc.  As long as the number of students is low, it is manageable.  As I said though, I can only speak for my site (which has older students).  I'd be curious to see how things would be different at an elementary school.

Students wear masks ?  Many grocery stores  shoppers do  so why not students  ?

Masks and gloves provided for  staff  ?  Why not. ?   Tim hortons provides to their staff .  

Elementary schools have no daytime custodian typically... 

Many elementary rooms have no water hook ups and no sinks..   

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

Students wear masks ?  Many grocery stores  shoppers do  so why not students  ?

Masks and gloves provided for  staff  ?  Why not. ?   Tim hortons provides to their staff .  

Elementary schools have no daytime custodian typically... 

Many elementary rooms have no water hook ups and no sinks..   

Yeah, the lack of masks kinda surprises me.  I'm wondering if that'll change over time.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

i never said it was a joke, if people choose to fully self isolate that is their choice. I don't go running around and socializing with various people. I do my shopping at non busy times. I have gone to see my parents, that is the extent of the visiting. Since it is spring and been warm and mild here it has been easy to do that and socialize outside at a distance. There are no hugs or close contact, I do have a brain and realize this is a rare deadly virus but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying going outside, doing yard work, getting groceries, going for walks etc.

I have adjusted my life but I am not going to sit inside for months on end, especially now with 15 or so cases across the ENTIRE province. 1 new case in the interior in what 3 or 4 days. So I personally believe it is quite safe to venture out but not back to pre covid.

I will be going back to work where I have to drive all over the region entering pubs, restaurants etc...not overly thrilled with that idea but a proper pay cheque would be nice. The company better have sanitizer and gloves at bare minimum for us otherwise I don't feel like it would be all that safe to go back.

umm, thats pretty much what most are doing.

• Upvote 1

South Korea says nightclub-related virus cases rise to 153, up from 133 yesterday

Fri 15 May 2020 05:31:33 GMT

The latest update on the situation from South Korea

The country has done well to curb the spread of the virus outbreak in general, but this blip is proving to be a real concern for health authorities and the government as they look to ease restrictions for daily life to return to more normal conditions.

The fact that the chain of infections here stems from one person during a night out from two weeks ago shows how difficult it is to actually relax restrictions and return back to daily life before the coronavirus outbreak.

All it takes is just one unlucky incident and the whole thing could potentially start again.
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

South Korea says nightclub-related virus cases rise to 153, up from 133 yesterday

Fri 15 May 2020 05:31:33 GMT

The latest update on the situation from South Korea

The country has done well to curb the spread of the virus outbreak in general, but this blip is proving to be a real concern for health authorities and the government as they look to ease restrictions for daily life to return to more normal conditions.

The fact that the chain of infections here stems from one person during a night out from two weeks ago shows how difficult it is to actually relax restrictions and return back to daily life before the coronavirus outbreak.

All it takes is just one unlucky incident and the whole thing could potentially start again.

I can't imagine nightclubs opening in BC before there is a vaccine.  What a recipe for virus spread!  Begs the question whether that will push people into "underground or illegal" clubs?  Don't we have off the board rave parties now that spring up in warehouses?  At least pubs can better control social distancing a bit.  Every time I think about how our world is changing my head and heart both hurt.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It is a a grave mistake to think that older work is less quality than the up to date.  Often it is the opposite. 

In my research, I've come across the work of Alexander Thom from the 1920's to 1980's. He studied the megalithic stoneworks and realized that they were using a unit of measurement that he called the megalithic yard (about 2.72 feet) and a 366 day year, and tied their unit of time to there unit of length. We still see some of this in our present day units for if you have a cube that is 1/10 th of a megalithic yard on each side, it holds exactly a British Imperial pint of water (or beer!), and fill it with barley seeds (or something similar and it weighs a pound.  So some our units of measure came from measurements 4000 years ago. And there is a theory, that since Masons have kept up with the Ancient Sacred Geometry, that Washington DC (that was laid out by Masons) is filled with megalithic yard distances. Also, does anyone know that a cubic foot of water weighs 62.5 pounds? Sort of weird number. Until you think, oh there is 16 ounces in a pound so, 62.5 pounds is 1,000 ounces. So, if you had a cube 1 foot on each side, then it holds 1,000 ounces of water.  Yes, these ancients knew their stuff, and that the Earth was a Sphere, and how big it was.....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I don't think we will ever eliminate the virus fully (until a vaccine at least).  Just too many variables to keep under control and too contagious.  We just gotta keep those numbers low not in the hopes of elimination but so the hospital system doesn't get overburdened.

Increased testing will help us know the full scope of the situation and better keep things under control.  I sincerely hope if anyone has any doubts if they have COVID-19 or not they get tested.  Sounds like anyone who asks can get one. 

Most health authorities are telling people if they have symptoms to self isolate for 14 days. And not to go to hospitals unless they really need to. I'm not seeing any health authorities or the BC CDC that advertise any kind of testing protocols. 

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/about-covid-19/if-you-are-sick

The numbers on the big picture for Canada are interesting.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/coronavirustracker/

BC has 1/4 of Quebec's population, but we have 2,392 cases, and 135 deaths. 

Quebec has 40,724 cases, and 3,351 deaths. 

Ontario has almost double Quebec's population, and has 21,494 cases, and 1902 deaths. 

Maybe it's a combination that Quebec has an older population, combined with snowbirds in areas like Florida that has impacted them very hard. 

Has BC been perfect? No. But it's a tribute to everyone working and pulling together but keeping distance. 

I think the only real fear is the first wave is always smaller, it's the second wave that usually is the deadlier outbreak (Judging by 1918). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/we-are-watching-it-dr-henry-on-child-illness-possibly-linked-to-covid-19-1.4940472?fbclid=IwAR0yIOHoIdeq7M_ATH8gxVXq-Ml9CI6KupdREQSlZq6EgO9Vx-dKIjAsHmE

'We are watching it': Dr. Henry on child illness possibly linked to COVID-19

Shannon Paterson

Shannon PatersonMulti-skilled Journalist, CTV News Vancouver

@ctv_shannon Contact

Published Thursday, May 14, 2020 6:20PM PDTLast Updated Thursday, May 14, 2020 7:32PM PDT

"I think it's going to be very difficult to definitively prove it’s related to COVID, but all signs are pointing to that direction," said B.C. Children’s Hospital pediatrician Dr. Srinivas Murthy. He says the fact most cases of the new syndrome are in cities that have had large outbreaks of COVID-19 is further evidence the two are likely connected.

Symptoms include fever, swollen lips, red eyes and rashes, which are consistent with Kawasaki disease, a condition that sometimes occurs in children after they’ve battled an infection.

"This would be something more severe than that," said Murthy. "In this new syndrome, we’re seeing things like low blood pressure and some gastrointestinal symptoms as well, and some swollen lymph nodes."

Patients typically haven’t had the respiratory illness most commonly associated with COVID-19, but they have tested positive for the virus or its antibodies, suggesting they’ve been infected at some point.

“We have not had any children yet in B.C. who have experienced this syndrome. There have been a small number that may be related in Montreal that we have heard about, so yes we are watching it,” said B.C.’s provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. "Pediatricians and clinicians know what to look for and parents need to be aware of it as well."

At B.C. Children’s Hospital, Murthy says, "If a child comes in and they meet some criteria in terms of fevers or rash, the things that I described, it would be considered as one of the diagnoses."

While B.C.’s relatively low number of COVID cases makes the condition less likely here, Murthy says parents should watch their children closely.

"If there are odd symptoms like rashes and gastrointestinal issues and swelling, then definitely start making some phone calls and seek out care," he said....

• Huggy Bear 2

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Wonderful. Is it mutating? Or just affects children differently? Or once exposed it doesn't directly affect them, but causes these effects because of a weaker immune system? 

• Vintage 2

Vanilla Isis and the Freedumb fighters in Michigan are still at it. Predictably, they've taken to making online death threats and hanging Governor Gretchen Whitmer in effigy.....<_<

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-noose-an-ax-and-trump-inspired-insults-anti-lockdown-protesters-ratchet-up-violent-rhetoric/ar-BB148eFo?li=AAggNb9

Rain drizzled as a crowd of about 200 people gathered in front of the Michigan State Capitol in Lansing on Thursday to urge Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) to lift coronavirus restrictions. The protesters — some carrying guns, few wearing masks — held up signs that said, “Stop Whitmer now,” and, “Dangerous safety is better than safe tyranny.”

Near the capitol steps, one man had strung an American flag onto a fishing rod. Below the flag, a brunette doll dangled from a noose tied to the pole. When another protester reached to grab the doll, a fight broke out. A video captured people wrestling over the flag and doll, shoving one another and shouting. Nearby, two people struggled over an ax.

“Where is capitol police right now?” a woman can be heard shouting into a microphone in a video published by MLive. “We have an issue, can we have the police come up to the steps please? Where are the cops?”

Violent rhetoric appears to be increasingly common among people protesting stay-at-home orders amid a coronavirus pandemic that has killed 85,000 and sickened 1.4 million people in the United States. At another Thursday protest in Commack, N.Y., Long Island protesters waved Trump 2020 banners and one held a sign that read, “Hang Fauci. Hang Gates. Open all our states.”

Michigan State Police eventually responded to the fight over the hanging doll. They said no injuries were reported, and troopers did not make any arrests. Officers said they confiscated an ax.

State lawmakers had already canceled their legislative meetings for the day, in anticipation of armed protesters storming the capitol. Similar demonstrations disrupted the state’s legislature on April 30, as people, some armed with rifles, staged an occupation of the state capitol building.

Policymakers’ anxieties over safety had been heightened in recent days by reports of physical threats within private Facebook groups where the protests were planned.

The naked doll hanging from the noose reflected recent threats against Whitmer. The Detroit Metro Times reported dozens of posts that called for the Michigan governor to be hanged.

There's a video embedded in the article and some of the comments are just cringe-worthy....

Some guy in a yellow sweatshirt who appears to be one of the protest organizers, calling for "someone" to "fire Whitmer". He isn't sure who has the power to do this, so he runs down a list of possibilities, all the while oblivious to the fact that it's the Voters of Michigan who possess that power. :picard:

Another woman comments on the armed protesters, claiming that they're not there to frighten anyone....rather they're armed so they can "protect" people. "On both sides". :rolleyes:

There's another woman who's asked why she is protesting and calls it a "hard question to answer". In the end, she doesn't, but she does insinuate that there is some "deeper" reason for the shut down.

• Cheers 2
    • Upvote 1
    • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, the lack of masks kinda surprises me.  I'm wondering if that'll change over time.

I see a lot of people wearing them, but I never see them for sale. And I was at London Drugs yesterday. Maybe Home Depot where the paint and drywall are? 

• Upvote 1