The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

32 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

What happens if you don't vote and don't pay fine?

What happens for people with NFA and/or homeless with no ID ect....?

I'm genuinely curious as I've known for a long time that Aus has mandatory voting and always wondered about how effective it really is? 

the fine is about $50,. they set up booths in hospitals to get people that are sick etc. They do have booths set up for homeless etc but really if you have a good excuse or 'no fixed adress' its not a big deal. I think the big thing is that is stops 'voter apathy' where people cant be stuffed getting off the couch. AUstralia has a pop of only 1/2 canada so its probably easier to do these things I admit. 

2 hours ago, austy said:

Here in Oz everyone has to vote. Its the law, the penalty is a moderate fine. Not sure why other places make it so hard. Come election day schools become voting centres and usually the kids of the school sell sausages in bread with onions to raise a bit of cash. Instead of voting we say ' im going down to get my democracy sausage' 

Yeah, I have always liked that about your country.

Don't you folk have a lot of political parties to choose from? and only 3 year terms for elected gov I believe..

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, I have always liked that about your country.

Don't you folk have a lot of political parties to choose from? and only 3 year terms for elected gov I believe..

2 main ones, conservative and a more liberal one. Then very concervative and a Green/social justice that are on the fringes.  We have pretty bipolar politics here though compared to Canada. When I lived there I always appreciated your balanced news reporting not subject to crazy hyperbole like here in Oz. Oz media is closer to the US than to you guys unfortunately. 

• Cheers 1

My daughter and I were both sick in March and April. Testing was just starting and the media said don't go to ER unless very ill. I rode it out, but I keep feeling sick again and again for a few days or even more. I was dropping off a book at a library off of Commercial and there was a REACH clinic there. I dropped in quickly to ask them about it and they told me that it wasn't possible to tell if you had COVID in the past.There's no test for that.

Is this true or did REACH clinic lie to my face? Anyone know? Much appreciated if you do!

15 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

My daughter and I were both sick in March and April. Testing was just starting and the media said don't go to ER unless very ill. I rode it out, but I keep feeling sick again and again for a few days or even more. I was dropping off a book at a library off of Commercial and there was a REACH clinic there. I dropped in quickly to ask them about it and they told me that it wasn't possible to tell if you had COVID in the past.There's no test for that.

Is this true or did REACH clinic lie to my face? Anyone know? Much appreciated if you do!

antibody tests can show if there was a probability but those are not available to the public.  the person who told you is wrong. however as mentioned that type of testing in not available.  So lets call it half a lie

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I don't think they lied to you, either they don't have the capability or the person you spoke to may not be aware.  My understanding is that it requires a blood test (serology).  I remember Dr. Henry talking about having labs in BC adding a serology test to blood samples that were provided I believe for other testing.  I recently completed a test for a university study, I was sent a kit, had to do the finger prick and provide blood dots on a piece of paper and mail it back to them.  In 3 - 4 weeks I should get results on whether I had COVID this past summer.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

There is a very dense population in Surrey. :bigblush:

Based on your stalking and harassment of posters on this site... i am surprised mods haven't banned you.

I guess we can only hope. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 2

Sad what is happening in BC right now...

You may have heard of this person before....

Tamara Taggart. @tamarataggart
· 8h
#COVID has been confirmed in my son’s LifeSkills class, the program w disabled students has been exposed.

Frowning face
We received a vague letter from #VCH last night + another (3rd) school COVID email. Many are keeping kids home today, we’re scared. No transparency + no confidence. #bced

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Based on your stalking and harassment of posters on this site... i am surprised mods haven't banned you.

I guess we can only hope. 

Rich coming from a troll like you and stalking? You confuse faced all my posts in multiple threads in a confuse face temper tantrum yesterday. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

In March, there were no anti-body tests. Those anti-body tests are what informs you of whether or not you’ve had Covid-19 previously. 

They didn’t lie to you since there was no mechanism at that point available to us to show whether or not someone who may have had the virus earlier and is now negative. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Rich coming from a troll like you and stalking? You confuse faced all my posts in multiple threads in a confuse face temper tantrum yesterday. 

Lol, he did the confuse face to me too. It’s cool. I like KOS. The poster is on the right side of things for the most part. I just think he needs a bit of a break. I think he’s fallen too deep into his own rhetoric about Dr. Henry, the govt response and his own kids’ fears about teaching in a pandemic. 

I don’t begrudge him an iota of his thoughts/opinions but I think perhaps he’s just venting because what is being done may not meet his standards. I think perhaps he wants things to be shut down until there are zero/close to zero cases in schools and other areas of life. 

I think our health officials aren’t prefect, nor is their response, but I wouldn’t ever say they’ve done a bad job and that I don’t trust them. He figures differently and that’s cool with me. If he needs/wants to vent about it and confusy face everyone that doesn’t agree with him, that’s fine. He’s a decent person at the end of the day. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Yes, I am still in Wuhan - couldn't really leave in the summer for a vacation back home, as at the time borders were closed and if people living in China wanted to keep their jobs, would've needed an invitation letter back in (which weren't being granted). My colleagues and I all stayed through the summer in China, and it's only been this month that China has permitted visa applications again, meaning many of my colleagues are now on their way back in.

The outbreak led to a 60+ day full lock-down where myself, and all colleagues, were essentially locked into our apartments and couldn't leave. Some of us were lucky to be able to walk our pets in the complexes we live in, but mostly quarantined. In May, the city tested all 11 million citizens (estimated) and found any residual asymptomatic cases and mandated hospitalization. Since then, everything is "normal" - in the sense that no cases have appeared.

By definition, in China, asymptomatic cases are not considered in the numbers, but here's what I know:

-There was an outbreak of a few people in Beijing in May/June, and they shut the city down and tested everyone in a week.

-There was another outbreak, I forgot where now, and they tested everyone quickly and found the cases.

-This week there were 2 cases (meaning with symptoms) in Qingdao, and they shut the city down - and are testing everyone.

The "new normal" is:

--about 70-80% of the population wears masks everywhere in public

--mass transit requires masks at all times

--hospitals require masks at all times

--entering many major areas (ie. shopping malls) require masks

--schools require fever checks upon entrance and leaving school every day

--if you have a fever, you must have a negative covid test before returning to work or school

--if you leave the province you are in, you must get a negative covid test before returning to work or school

--anyone returning to China from abroad must have negative covid tests done before arrival, and upon arrival in China. Followed by a mandatory 14-day quarantine, at your own expense, in a hotel designated for quarantines.

--if you are found to have covid upon return, sent to a hospital for as many days necessary until testing negative -- even if asymptomatic. I'm aware of a couple people in the hospital (isolation ward) for 30+ days before being released back to another 14-days of quarantine.

I know there's skepticism of the numbers, but I don't get the sense anything is being suppressed. At the local level in December was where the major problems occurred with reporting and sharing information. Once it reached national level, major actions were taken and local levels lost a lot of control, or at least had more oversight.

We will see as we go into flu/cold season in the fall, but it's nice here now knowing that a) it's being thought about seriously and b) life is pretty much back to normal now (+masks).

Cheers,

Sounds a shade draconian but desperate times and all.  Just sincerely curious as we never hear from anyone there 

• Cheers 1

The exposure at one of the local high schools started with a student who had symptoms, went for a test and then his parents send him back to school for 3 days before he got test results.  He was positive

Please, keep your kids home if they are even remotely sick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canadian said:

Yes, I am still in Wuhan - couldn't really leave in the summer for a vacation back home, as at the time borders were closed and if people living in China wanted to keep their jobs, would've needed an invitation letter back in (which weren't being granted). My colleagues and I all stayed through the summer in China, and it's only been this month that China has permitted visa applications again, meaning many of my colleagues are now on their way back in.

The outbreak led to a 60+ day full lock-down where myself, and all colleagues, were essentially locked into our apartments and couldn't leave. Some of us were lucky to be able to walk our pets in the complexes we live in, but mostly quarantined. In May, the city tested all 11 million citizens (estimated) and found any residual asymptomatic cases and mandated hospitalization. Since then, everything is "normal" - in the sense that no cases have appeared.

By definition, in China, asymptomatic cases are not considered in the numbers, but here's what I know:

-There was an outbreak of a few people in Beijing in May/June, and they shut the city down and tested everyone in a week.

-There was another outbreak, I forgot where now, and they tested everyone quickly and found the cases.

-This week there were 2 cases (meaning with symptoms) in Qingdao, and they shut the city down - and are testing everyone.

The "new normal" is:

--about 70-80% of the population wears masks everywhere in public

--mass transit requires masks at all times

--hospitals require masks at all times

--entering many major areas (ie. shopping malls) require masks

--schools require fever checks upon entrance and leaving school every day

--if you have a fever, you must have a negative covid test before returning to work or school

--if you leave the province you are in, you must get a negative covid test before returning to work or school

--anyone returning to China from abroad must have negative covid tests done before arrival, and upon arrival in China. Followed by a mandatory 14-day quarantine, at your own expense, in a hotel designated for quarantines.

--if you are found to have covid upon return, sent to a hospital for as many days necessary until testing negative -- even if asymptomatic. I'm aware of a couple people in the hospital (isolation ward) for 30+ days before being released back to another 14-days of quarantine.

I know there's skepticism of the numbers, but I don't get the sense anything is being suppressed. At the local level in December was where the major problems occurred with reporting and sharing information. Once it reached national level, major actions were taken and local levels lost a lot of control, or at least had more oversight.

We will see as we go into flu/cold season in the fall, but it's nice here now knowing that a) it's being thought about seriously and b) life is pretty much back to normal now (+masks).

Cheers,

There is a reason why it is hard to get a sense of information suppression in China.  

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, skategal said:

I don't think they lied to you, either they don't have the capability or the person you spoke to may not be aware.  My understanding is that it requires a blood test (serology).  I remember Dr. Henry talking about having labs in BC adding a serology test to blood samples that were provided I believe for other testing.  I recently completed a test for a university study, I was sent a kit, had to do the finger prick and provide blood dots on a piece of paper and mail it back to them.  In 3 - 4 weeks I should get results on whether I had COVID this past summer.  

I really want to get that for a friend who swears she had it in November when she was really sick at one point and keeps telling everyone shes already had COVID at the beginning of it and now doesn't believe in it.  Somehow claims she got it November or right at the beginning of December when it was barely even known at that time, I don't remember hearing about it until later to mid december.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I really want to get that for a friend who swears she had it in November when she was really sick at one point and keeps telling everyone shes already had COVID at the beginning of it and now doesn't believe in it.  Somehow claims she got it November or right at the beginning of December when it was barely even known at that time, I don't remember hearing about it until later to mid december.

Interesting that she now doesn't believe in it?  No clear scientific understanding yet on what if any level of immunity is created if one has been infected so not something I'd be gambling on with my health.  

30 minutes ago, skategal said:

Interesting that she now doesn't believe in it?  No clear scientific understanding yet on what if any level of immunity is created if one has been infected so not something I'd be gambling on with my health.  

There are scientific suggestions that some form of temporary immunity is achieved after being infected, but it doesn’t seem permanent and people are still at risk for reinfection.  

• Upvote 1