The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I’ve found mask usage to be a bit better in public the last couple of weeks. At my local Safeway on Saturday I didn’t see a single

person not wearing a mask, and as far as I know Safeway doesn’t have a mandatory mask policy. 

As you mentioned in your post, I think it’s more about what people are doing in their social lives, on private property, that’s causing much of this spread. I do think a mask mandate would help a bit but I don’t know if we’d see a massive improvement. It’s too hard to police. 

I have found that as well.  You are correct in that most of the transmission is occurring in private homes etc.. but mandating the use of masks will help in keeping those who actually care safe from these covidiots as we go about our daily lives.  Remember these idiots are not just holed up in their homes, they are out and about and possibly not masking up and putting others in danger.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Thing is, we need a unified, consistent message and set of guidelines.  Not just at a provincial level, but across the country.  Sure, some places are different than others and maybe don't require the same restrictions...but in general, for cities that are seeing dramatic spikes.  As this thing amps up, it's time for leaders to all get on board with similar programs.

Dr. B is losing me too...when talking of the numbers in the South Asian community, she offered "reasons" for the trend in that population which are little more than excuses.  I now also think she's more worried about pleasing all the people in a popularity driven agenda.   Call things as they are...if it's a harsh situation, it calls for harsh messages.

Rob Fleming should seek to become a middle aged boy band member at this point too.  I've never had much use for him though.

They're trying their best was fine during the initial and unknown stages of this in the Spring...but as they learn more about Covid they need to change the game plan.  Up the ante and try new things.  Winter is different than spring...we need stricter measures as people move indoors. 

Those ignoring the rules in place need to be addressed....not babied.   

Short term intense measures for a better long term outlook.  Or keep dabbling and "hoping" and losing the battle.

• Upvote 2

Man, I don't know if it's the weather, or going on 9 months of Covid and heavily reduced socialization etc or a combination of the two but the last week or so I've been utterly and completely 'blah'.

Even a 'meh' emoji seems too exuberant to express my feelings.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, we need a unified, consistent message and set of guidelines.  Not just at a provincial level, but across the country.  Sure, some places are different than others and maybe don't require the same restrictions...but in general, for cities that are seeing dramatic spikes.  As this thing amps up, it's time for leaders to all get on board with similar programs.

Dr. B is losing me too...when talking of the numbers in the South Asian community, she offered "reasons" for the trend in that population which are little more than excuses.  I now also think she's more worried about pleasing all the people in a popularity driven agenda.   Call things as they are...if it's a harsh situation, it calls for harsh messages.

Rob Fleming should seek to become a middle aged boy band member at this point too.  I've never had much use for him though.

They're trying their best was fine during the initial and unknown stages of this in the Spring...but as they learn more about Covid they need to change the game plan.  Up the ante and try new things.  Winter is different than spring...we need stricter measures as people move indoors. 

Short term intense measures for a better long term outlook.  Or keep dabbling and "hoping" and losing the battle.

We'll be up over 1500 cases a day and into the high teens or low twentys for deaths in a cpl weeks.  The time for being nice is over.  Of course this is the party who used the virus to gain political capital by calling an election as it was ramping up

Just now, aGENT said:

Man, I don't know if it's the weather, or going on 9 months of Covid and heavily reduced socialization etc or a combination of the two but the last week or so I've been utterly and completely 'blah'.

I've never seen teachers this stressed out before, let alone mid November.  We had a zoom staff meeting today and we had at least 5 stretches of awkward silence as admin was asking us to contribute to the meeting.  Everyone is at the edge or beyond.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've never seen teachers this stressed out before, let alone mid November.  We had a zoom staff meeting today and we had at least 5 stretches of awkward silence as admin was asking us to contribute to the meeting.  Everyone is at the edge or beyond.

This winter should be fun for all... :wacko:

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Dr B lost my support in May when she ignored all the worlds  most current covid research / science.

At that point i realized the BC plan for Covid was all a SHAM.....

It soon was confirmed to see BC covid's policy  mis-used  for  Politics  -  a non-sensical BC re-election. 

When i saw the back to school plan that 100% ignored all current science. and offered no PPE to workers... I realized that our province was doomed to a massive second wave. 

For me now.. it is every person for themselves...  Protect the ones you love. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This winter should be fun for all... :wacko:

We're going to start seeing stress leaves, en masse, imo.

Here's the issue.........as we got closer to the September, my district was adamant that our goal this year was to keep everyone safe, to just get through this year and acknowledged that learning was going to be expected to suffer a bit under the circumstances.  

However, here we are in November and our district has downloaded more work on us than ever before.  We have new assessment standards we have to meet, they've changed our reporting requirements, they're asking for far more data on students than ever before.  

It was supposed to be a "let's make sure safety is the priority and just get to June" kind of year.  Instead, teachers are long past the end of our ropes as we struggle daily to keep kids in compliance of safety rules, suffer through less break time and do more and different work than we've done before.

I expect the education system to crumble by mid January.  

• Huggy Bear 3

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

online shopping generally helps me with that

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dr B lost my support in May when she ignored all the worlds  most current covid research / science.

It soon was confirmed to see BC covid's policy  mis-used  for  Politics  -  a non-sensical BC re-election. 

When i saw the back to school plan that 100% ignored all current science. and offered no PPE to workers... I realized that our province was doomed to a massive second wave. 

Dr. B is a nice person, but not a "wartime consigliere". It was obvious in spring/summer that we've got lucky and that the second wave is coming, but nothing was done to get ready for it.

I still have to come to the office in downtown 1-2 times a week and today I've noticed a big difference in comparison to the last week.

I would say 75%-80% people on the streets wear masks. And 100% in our office tower. 100% of people in my building (24 stores) wear masks now.

But I think all this-too little, too late, virus is out there and it can't be stopped just by masks and distancing. On other hand we can't afford another lockdown.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Whoa wait...you DON’T support the BC government’s response to the COVID pandemic? That doesn’t come through at all in your other 8000 posts in this thread. You shoulda said something earlier. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

22 minutes ago, Seifer86 said:

Whoa wait...you DON’T support the BC government’s response to the COVID pandemic? That doesn’t come through at all in your other 8000 posts in this thread. You shoulda said something earlier. 

Thanks for your amazing contribution to this discussion ..  well thoughtout  and very insightful. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

44 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Dr. B is a nice person, but not a "wartime consigliere". It was obvious in spring/summer that we've got lucky and that the second wave is coming, but nothing was done to get ready for it.

I still have to come to the office in downtown 1-2 times a week and today I've noticed a big difference in comparison to the last week.

I would say 75%-80% people on the streets wear masks. And 100% in our office tower. 100% of people in my building (24 stores) wear masks now.

But I think all this-too little, too late, virus is out there and it can't be stopped just by masks and distancing. On other hand we can't afford another lockdown.

I don't think we could afford getting ready for the 2nd wave either.  I think if this whole pandemic experience has taught us anything it's that, from people to the business world, the world has been stretched too thin financially to do what's needed.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Wow......  things getting real for Dr. B....

When is. @DrBonnieHenry   going to mandate masks? Why does she believe worldwide public health advice is wrong? She is in public health, not politics. She needs to pander to none, not even politicians #bcpoli #Covid_19

Ujjal Dosanjh  @ujjaldosanjh
Formerly Min. of Health , Canada, BC Attorney General, MP for Vancouver South and 33rd Premier of BC

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:
Wow......  things getting real for Dr. B....

When is. @DrBonnieHenry   going to mandate masks? Why does she believe worldwide public health advice is wrong? She is in public health, not politics. She needs to pander to none, not even politicians #bcpoli #Covid_19

Ujjal Dosanjh  @ujjaldosanjh
Formerly Min. of Health , Canada, BC Attorney General, MP for Vancouver South and 33rd Premier of BC

It’s somewhat unfortunate for Dr. Henry really. She overestimated the intelligence of millions of people in BC. By stating repeatedly that wearing a mask is an expectation, she didn’t realize those millions were waiting for her to say “wear a mask” for them to be relieved and finally put on their masks. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Silent Man said:

Vancouver’s numbers are down. The highest rates are coming from the suburbs. 

Quote from Dr. B to a teacher that called in to ask her a question for some advice directly;

Quinn: Dr Henry, I've got a question here for someone who tweeted me and she writes 'Please ask Dr. Henry, how would she protect herself if she was a teacher? Would you still work one-on-one with a child? Would you stay distanced at all times?

Henry: Well I'm not a teacher, although I have teachers in my family and I think you need to understand your own risk, and there are things that we can do in the classroom setting and yes, there are ways to safely have that one-on-one contact with the child, but teachers know how best to do that in their classrooms.

Quinn: But we have a teacher seeking advice here asking what to do.

Henry: They should be seeking advice from their teaching collegues who understand the situation. We put in the health basics and [at] each school there's principals, there's teachers, who are there to support their community.

Pretty BS response imho.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, zapperman said:

It’s somewhat unfortunate for Dr. Henry really. She overestimated the intelligence of millions of people in BC. By stating repeatedly that wearing a mask is an expectation, she didn’t realize those millions were waiting for her to say “wear a mask” for them to be relieved and finally put on their masks. 

Her idea was good at first....try to appeal to people to get them on board rather than come across as an authority figure TELLING them what to do.  Flies/honey/vinegar deal.

But some see that as weakness.  She's become a nagging mother who's being tuned out.  They take the "I do what I want" stance of defiance and rebellion.

She asked people to be kind but those kind of people just aren't.  They're self centred and arrogant and need some pushback.

• Cheers 3