The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

A no win situation here. If the public face of our public health system is trying to get skeptical people to take the vaccine, then she has to lead by example. But with so little doses available now, she will be blamed on jumping the line. Also, I think her book is premature, should wait until this is all over then release it.  Plenty of more dramas to come. Never underestimate infodemic, hyperpartisanship, and just pure ignorance among the public. 

Edited by Jaimito

11 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

"Bu-bu-buuu--tt... It doesn't count when we don't see it/ it doesn't affect us, plus our freedoms!" #Covidiots

An honest question with an attempt at putting my own beliefs aside for a minute. Do you think it will help your cause to insult people?  Regardless of an opinion, side or set of beliefs your hopes should be to sway others to see it your way. Facts, figures, science should all be on your side. How does using childish “crying” and name calling help to sway people that are having a difficult time seeing things your way?

• Wat 1

43 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

A no win situation here. If the public face of our public health system is trying to get skeptical people to take the vaccine, then she has to lead by example. But with so little doses available now, she will be blamed on jumping the line. Also, I think her book is premature, should wait until this is all over then release it.  Plenty of more dramas to come. Never underestimate infodemic, hyperpartisanship, and just pure ignorance among the public. 

Great respect for Tulsi Gabbard who turned down her shot. When all medical people and seniors are inoculated I will get the shot. Apparently all members of Congress can get their shots now. AOC elbowed Pelousi out of the way to get her shot. :o

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Great respect for Tulsi Gabbard who turned down her shot. When all medical people and seniors are inoculated I will get the shot. Apparently all members of Congress can get their shots now. AOC elbowed Pelousi out of the way to get her shot. :o

I don't think it was wrong for AOC to take it, but I'm sure there are at risk groups that are more deserving.  She did say one reason was to push back on the myth that it causes infertility.  When someone in leadership position who has not mislead the public on covid, and gets the vaccine, I don't have a problem with that. 

All members of congress were offered.

On the other hand, I hate politicians like this :

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Amebushi said:

An honest question with an attempt at putting my own beliefs aside for a minute. Do you think it will help your cause to insult people?  Regardless of an opinion, side or set of beliefs your hopes should be to sway others to see it your way. Facts, figures, science should all be on your side. How does using childish “crying” and name calling help to sway people that are having a difficult time seeing things your way?

It doesn't.

Because they're idiots.

Sorry/not sorry but if you're out and about marching with these asshats, denying there is anything wrong, stating it's all a hoax and "fake news" while even going as far as waving Trump flags ( in Canada, no less!) and whining about your freedoms being trampled on while disregarding the safety of others, well...  Nothing is going to change your mind anyway. 

Social media is poison and it's exposing the dumbest members of society to the rest of us. Seriously, everyone needs to unplug.  My anxiety level, though riding pretty  -_$#ing high some days, has taken a dive since I got off the toxic echo chambers of misinformation.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, FilthyRich said:

It doesn't.

Because they're idiots.

Sorry/not sorry but if you're out and about marching with these asshats, denying there is anything wrong, stating it's all a hoax and "fake news" while even going as far as waving Trump flags ( in Canada, no less!) and whining about your freedoms being trampled on while disregarding the safety of others, well...  Nothing is going to change your mind anyway. 

Social media is poison and it's exposing the dumbest members of society to the rest of us. Seriously, everyone needs to unplug.  My anxiety level, though riding pretty  -_$#ing high some days, has taken a dive since I got off the toxic echo chambers of misinformation.

I see you are proving my point for me. Claiming the “idiots” are out and about while the “smart” ones resort to name calling. I’m not waving flags or calling anything a hoax. The vast majority are not. I do want some rights to remain when this is all said and done. I’m glad you’re enjoying your free speech to call people with a different train of though names as it’s one of the things I would like preserved. Do your cause a favour and try staying quiet. 

• Wat 1

Still waiting them to start vaccinating frontline workers at the busiest covid-19 site in the province. Not sure what the thought process was to start at other sites, I'm sure there's reasons behind it - just slightly frustrating.

And after some thought, I don't have a problem with Dr. Henry getting the shot before us. We do need her leadership, and it shows confidence in the vaccine.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, Amebushi said:

spacer.png

Is there a case update yet today, anyone?

Edited by ImConfused
Grammarz
  • Wat 1

39 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I see you are proving my point for me. Claiming the “idiots” are out and about while the “smart” ones resort to name calling. I’m not waving flags or calling anything a hoax. The vast majority are not. I do want some rights to remain when this is all said and done. I’m glad you’re enjoying your free speech to call people with a different train of though names as it’s one of the things I would like preserved. Do your cause a favour and try staying quiet. 

I don't have a cause, but hey, thanks for the invaluable advice.

If you don't pertain to what I said, then why do you even care?

Edited by FilthyRich
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

UK reports record 36,804 virus cases

Tue 22 Dec 2020 16:24:52 GMT

Not a great sign about the new variant

Not a great sign about the new variant
  • Cases at 36,804 vs 7-day average of 29,121
  • Cases rose 33.517 yesterday
  • Deaths rise 691 vs 415 a day ago
The big problem with this chart is that the harsher measures started in late November, so you would have expected to see the continued drop. The same thing happened throughout Europe but this latest spike is only happening in the UK, and that's why virologists are so worried about this new strain.

Just also bear in mind (and this isn’t to say the new strain is any less than what’s being reported) but the UK didn’t really start testing untill may and it wasn’t really Untill July that significant testing was carried out, and it fell over in September when schools opened back up. However since then capacity for testing has increased and in the tier 3 areas they were undertaking mass testing of all people not just the ones who presented symptoms, as such even without the new strain the figures would be significantly higher now for the number of cases. 

14 minutes ago, spur1 said:

He is trying to Ambush you...lol. 

Apparently.

10 months of this thread and the one time I pipe up, I start a potential pissing match.  There's more than enough of that on here already.

Guess I should take that advice :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

spacer.png

Is there a case update yet today, anyone?

“Since we last reported, we have had 79 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 256 new cases in the Fraser Health region, nine in the Island Health region, 78 in the Interior Health region, 22 in the Northern Health region and no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1

The last remaining continent has it's first Covid 19 cases.....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/world/antarctica-covid-chile-military-base-intl/index.html

Antarctica has recorded its first Covid-19 case after 36 people tested positive on a research base, according to a statement released by the Chilean Army.

The news marks an unfortunate milestone in the global fight against coronavirus, as until this week, Antarctica was the last continent free from the virus' grip.
On Sunday, the General Bernardo O'Higgins Riquelme Base, a Chilean research base located on Antarctica's northernmost Trinity Peninsula, confirmed that 26 army personnel and 10 civilians working as contractors on the base tested positive with Covid-19.
The outbreak comes after at least three people tested positive for Covid-19 on a military vessel that had been supplying logistical support to the O'Higgins base between November 27 and December 10.
They were tested after two military personnel tested positive for the virus after disembarking at Chile's Punta Arenas port on December 10, according to a statement from the Chilean Navy.
All 208 crew members were given coronavirus tests last Wednesday, with three positive Covid-19 cases identified.
The Sargento Aldea is now in "preventive quarantine," the statement said.
Personnel on the O'Higgins base have been isolated and are "constantly monitored with the support from the Health Authority of the Magallanes and Chilean Antarctic Region, achieving so far a favorable diagnosis and without any complications associated with COVID-19 by our staff," according to the Chilean Army statement.
The Army added that they have an "unconditional commitment to safeguard the health of its members."

....meanwhile, the President of Antartica absolved himself of any blame for the outbreak, noting that (against the wishes of his political opponents) he had "immediately placed a total ban on Jina".....
Edited by RUPERTKBD

Another day, another record in the US. 

If folks back home have any doubt what a bad public health response can look like, just look at the US.  Richest country with the most drugs and vaccines. It is social responsibility to each other and trust in medical experts that matters.  Misinformation spread by the leaders will result in this. And the worst is yet to come. We expect the peak in Jan. Canadians need to unite and fight this virus, and not eachother. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Another day, another record in the US. 

If folks back home have any doubt what a bad public health response can look like, just look at the US.  Richest country with the most drugs and vaccines. It is social responsibility to each other and trust in medical experts that matters.  Misinformation spread by the leaders will result in this. And the worst is yet to come. We expect the peak in Jan. Canadians need to unite and fight this virus, and not eachother. 

This is why we have to fight tooth and nail against "for profit" medical care. 

• Vintage 3