The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

We hope there will be a vaccine Alf, remember Coronaviruses are notoriously difficult to create a vaccine for and scientists have never been able to create one before. Here’s hoping they can do what’s never been done before.

I think this is an excellent point and that the idea of a vaccine as a "cure" is a bit misguided.

As I understand it, (and please, someone correct me if I have this wrong) the Coronavirus acts much like other viruses in that it can reoccur. Just like we have "flu season" every year, COVID-19 has the potential to be something that comes around again, even after the curve has largely flattened.

A Vaccine, if and when it is developed, will help in keeping people from contracting the virus, but it won't do anything for people already infected and it's not likely to be 100% effective in preventing new cases either.

I believe social distancing is destined to be the new norm. There will be situations where being in close proximity to others is unavoidable (trains, buses, etc) but things like shaking hands are going to become a thing of the past.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

I've what I've been hearing on the news. It's like the cold or typical flu. Once you have that 'particular strain', you can't get it again, but you can still always catch the cold or flu. In laymans words, of course. 

Source?  That flies in the face of what actual friends in the healthcare system are telling me.......as in drs and nurses.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I think this is an excellent point and that the idea of a vaccine as a "cure" is a bit misguided.

As I understand it, (and please, someone correct me if I have this wrong) the Coronavirus acts much like other viruses in that it can reoccur. Just like we have "flu season" every year, COVID-19 has the potential to be something that comes around again, even after the curve has largely flattened.

A Vaccine, if and when it is developed, will help in keeping people from contracting the virus, but it won't do anything for people already infected and it's not likely to be 100% effective in preventing new cases either.

I believe social distancing is destined to be the new norm. There will be situations where being in close proximity to others is unavoidable (trains, buses, etc) but things like shaking hands are going to become a thing of the past.

It won't cure it, but it will allow us to come out and start to rebuild 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is that possible?   Do you have a source for that?  

I don't know enough about epidemiology to act as an expert, but I believe it's kind of like the common cold. You can get it more than once, because there is more than one strain.

Someone with greater knowledge please correct me if I have that wrong.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Source?  That flies in the face of what actual friends in the healthcare system are telling me.......as in drs and nurses.

k maybe not. maybe it was speculation.

The best answer we have is "we don't know yet"

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/can-you-get-covid-19-more-than-once-answers-to-that-and-other-questions-1.4856659

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/the-big-question-over-coronavirus-can-a-person-get-it-twice

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

Last night in Kelowna they had 5 acute pneumonia cases and 1 overdose come in.  They've got 6 ventilators

This kind of scares me.....my 85 year old mom lives in downtown Kelowna. She doesn't go out much, but she has GI issues that require regular visits to the doctor. I'm hoping she can be set up for home visits....

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Mortgages can be deferred 6 months without penalty or interest.

Hallelujah 

What about renters?

I rent out a cabin, if I get a break on my mortgage I will obviously defer their rent. But are there measures in place that put pressure on other landlords to do the same?

42 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Recommendations if you have a condo in Vancouver? I have about 12fsqft of patio space. 

Build a shelving unit on an angle, to turn the floor space, of your patio, into three levels.

do a bit of research to find which food plants require the most sun and room, plant accordingly.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

What about renters?

I rent out a cabin, if I get a break on my mortgage I will obviously defer their rent. But are there measures in place that put pressure on other landlords to do the same?

It would reaaaaally take a lot of stress off a lot of people if they could find a way to do it. Myself included.

Good on you for doing it voluntarily. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What about renters?

Not sure.

I think the hope is that if landlords get a 6 month mortgage break they won't gouge their renters.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6694459/coronavirus-canada-big-banks-mortgage-payment-deferrals/?utm_source=GlobalOkanagan&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1uS4XA-aX6vJwKQJCQInWl6_lbBoYQ-_FCnztHWk_HusWo34zePjN3PdU

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

People need to be planning for isolation until there's a vaccine, which will be in 18-24 months.  If you think the supply chain is going to last that long, you're more optimistic than I am.

I am prepping for survival mode and I suggest others do the same.  I'm optimistic that we are advanced enough, tech wise, that utilities can be maintained with minimal human labour.  Luckily the air (as far as we know) isn't overly infectious, so we should be able to have workers maintaining those services

There are about 3 or 4 different vaccines being expedited into testing.

yes, we need to be cautious right now and be prepared, just in case.

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This kind of scares me.....my 85 year old mom lives in downtown Kelowna. She doesn't go out much, but she has GI issues that require regular visits to the doctor. I'm hoping she can be set up for home visits....

That was directly from a very close friend who was on duty last night.