The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Please stop acting like an authority on the subject - even with experience, you're still not.

And it's likely best we err on the side of caution rather than not.  

Posting fear information or information that is completely wrong is not erring on the side of caution.  I have posted numerous comments on information that people in Canada do not have access to  For example, I reported on the 15 clusters that have been identified in Japan.  I listed them and suggested what the defining features are.   

Never claimed to be an authority, but I have been doing my homework on this since early January, and of course the experience   I was here for SARs and knew what was coming.  So did the Taiwanese.   What about the 'authorities' in Canada?   There is nothing wrong with trying to be informed as an authority.   Or is there Deb?    Nothing I have posted is inconsistent with what experts have said.  Show me where?

1 hour ago, AppleJack said:

Public health will not test you here even if you have symptoms (and a request from a doctor) unless you are in distress.

I basically had a public health nurse give me a management plan to tell me what to look out to seek further medical attention via the ER or calling them back. 

I am asthmatic and my asthma is crazy, coughing non stop, wheezing after coughing or walking up hill or cleaning my house. Also my chest hurts so badly.

I am in quarantine now till the end of March.

Take care of yourself.   Hope your symptoms go away soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Yesterday at Thrifty's (PoMo) staff made clear that there was no shortage... it was just difficult to restock everything in time because people were buying things at a rate higher than what the store was used to. I suspect that this is similar elsewhere. Not saying we won't experience a food shortage at some point, only that that point probably isn't here yet. I think empty shelves only further influence shoppers' fears... makes them buy up even more and the cycle continues. 

I get in trouble for sharing my 3 week earlier experience here in Japan.  But there was a rush on things here not as bad as Canada.  For a few days you couldn't get things.  But now key purchases our limited to one per person and it is illegal to price gouge.   You can go in the morning and stand in line for toilet paper or whatever and those lines have seriously dropped to just a handful of people.  At the end of the day most of things are almost gone.   The gov't has said there is no shortage of anything yet.  

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

You are assuming.

Give me a call when you endure 1423 day long siege.
No running water throughout the whole ordeal, out of power for 6 months at a time, no natural gas, no food, medicine.

Add about 500k projectiles dropped on your city and around 100k killed and wounded.

which city/country

37 minutes ago, Toews said:

I wasn't speaking in terms of what the government is doing but what we are personally doing. I have re-evaluated my position since our last conversation regarding measures that the government is taking. With the closure of the border today, I am now satisfied that our government is not putting the interest of a sub-section of the population over others. Our society only functions properly if our leaders take the appropriate measures to protect the interests of all people, not just some people. We are all going to have to deal with the economic fallout of this virus. As long as the government continued to be influenced by interests other than the health and safety of the public, I believe that I and other Canadians have every right to pursue our own self-interest with disregard to the rules set forth by a hypocritical government.

I appreciate the answer but will respectfully disagree with your course of action. Of course there will be people on extreme opposite ends of the spectrum for such a tenuous time in our lives (heck, we could barely have a civil discussion on these forums on why Virtanen would get scratched over Loui). At the end of the day, I hope the vast majority supports isolation for this period of our lives and the rest of those, like yourself, do whatever they can within their lifestyle to limit contact with strangers to the best of your ability. I hope that's what you mean by a "measured response".

Nothing would make me happier than seeing you tell me "I told you so" in a month or two

29 minutes ago, samurai said:

Posting fear information or information that is completely wrong is not erring on the side of caution.  I have posted numerous comments on information that people in Canada do not have access to  For example, I reported on the 15 clusters that have been identified in Japan.  I listed them and suggested what the defining features are.   

Never claimed to be an authority, but I have been doing my homework on this since early January, and of course the experience   I was here for SARs and knew what was coming.  So did the Taiwanese.   What about the 'authorities' in Canada?   There is nothing wrong with trying to be informed as an authority.   Or is there Deb?    Nothing I have posted is inconsistent with what experts have said.  Show me where?

And Canada is not Italy so don't assume...

Nor is it Japan.  

Also, what purpose does this serve?  Understand that people have a right to feel anxious and you don't need to use that as a time or opportunity to poke them or do a we're better than you are deal.  Just not the time or place for that:

It is clear from being on here, watching the Canadian media, and talking to friends and family that many people in Canada are panicking. Perhaps, people in North America should have been listening and paying attention to was was happening in Asia a little earlier.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

White Rock Pier is packed shoulder to shoulder.

The patios are open and packed as well. 

(I was in my vehicle, did not step foot out there)

But wtf?

crap just what we need

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

But wtf?

They should be shamed.  Someone should take pictures because this is totally unacceptable behaviour.  The establishments are responsible and everyone should boycott them in the future.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

But wtf?

5 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Idiots, the lot of them.

Sadly, they probably thought they were doing their part, by sitting outside. 

11 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I guess in fairness who knew that the Big Brother house might be the safest place for them at this moment being cut off from the outside world.  Other diseases though....

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

Keeping it light.

At lunch at work I pulled a lawn chair out of my car and sat in the parking lot (in an actual parking space).

Two guys came up the walkway from the building and said "you're doing this thing right...can we join you?".   I said "social distancing...park your chairs in the parking spots one over".  LOL. 

Was a beautiful day despite it all...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

They should be shamed.  Someone should take pictures because this is totally unacceptable behaviour.  The establishments are responsible and everyone should boycott them in the future.

what social tendencies are you showing here?