The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

A lot of grocery stores around the world are starting to have a designated time before the store opens to public for the elderly and at risk people to go shopping. I think that should happen here as well.

Great idea!  Us old folk are mostly early risers, so make it 6 to 7 am please. :towel:

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Not from what I was told 

Certainly not the case in BC.

BC Disease Control put out a statement today of who they'll test.

1. Anyone that's admitted to a hospital past ER

2. Anyone who is a healthcare worker that is symptomatic

3. long term care residents

Everyone else is to stay home, avoid ibuprofen, get plenty of fluids, take Tylenol and binge Netflix 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I went and did some shopping at Superstore for my in-laws today that are in their 80's and need to stay in. Shelves are just fine, I didn't see a shortage of anything. People were in a good mood al things considered, being considerate in line, etc. I didn't see anyone going ape on stockpiling, maybe just a little extra but there doesn't seem to be a run on things. I think most people have got he message stockpiling isn't needed. 

I'm guessing you went early in the morning around when they just opened.  Also a good idea to go then as there might be less people around (vs going after work when you might have masses of people going after the scraps that are left).

5 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Everyone else is to stay home, avoid ibuprofen, get plenty of fluids, take Tylenol and binge Netflix 

The WHO is saying to beat this every country must test every single suspected case. I wonder why BC Is so reluctant to test.

Edited by Petey40

5 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

A lot of grocery stores around the world are starting to have a designated time before the store opens to public for the elderly and at risk people to go shopping. I think that should happen here as well.

It has.  Loblaws and affiliated stores, Shoppers Drug Mart and some of the other pharmacies so far.  There are probably others as well.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

4. If you're a NBA player.:P

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I went and did some shopping at Superstore for my in-laws today that are in their 80's and need to stay in. Shelves are just fine, I didn't see a shortage of anything. People were in a good mood al things considered, being considerate in line, etc. I didn't see anyone going ape on stockpiling, maybe just a little extra but there doesn't seem to be a run on things. I think most people have got he message stockpiling isn't needed. 

Yesterday at Thrifty's (PoMo) staff made clear that there was no shortage... it was just difficult to restock everything in time because people were buying things at a rate higher than what the store was used to. I suspect that this is similar elsewhere. Not saying we won't experience a food shortage at some point, only that that point probably isn't here yet. I think empty shelves only further influence shoppers' fears... makes them buy up even more and the cycle continues. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Few days ago it was 1 in 27 wow

Using numbers that Nuckin Futz had published during the China phase of this, the number was at 1 in 36 or 37. 

I admit to switching to this WHO link    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd    a few weeks ago, at which time their numbers were 1 in 33 ish.

As others have pointed out, some countries are hit harder due to the age and general health of their people.

But that said

1 in 24 is very scary.

Canada numbers at this link

http://www.covid-19canada.com/

703 cases

9 deaths

11 recovered

1 in 78 Canada wide

B.C.

231 cases

7 deaths

6 recovered

1 in 33.

This number, and Canada's are a bit too soon to take as a valid number as the sample size is still very small, and B.C. had an older folks hospital get hit at the beginning.

I'm just keeping an eye on the trend.

Edited by gurn

10 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Yesterday at Thrifty's (PoMo) staff made clear that there was no shortage... it was just difficult to restock everything in time because people were buying things at a rate higher than what the store was used to. I suspect that this is similar elsewhere. Not saying we won't experience a food shortage at some point, only that that point probably isn't here yet. I think empty shelves only further influence shoppers' fears... makes them buy up even more and the cycle continues. 

They need to be putting limits on things.   I am in self isolation at the moment due to returning from travel in the US and am finding it very difficult, no, impossible.  to find a store that delivers that has any stock.  

35 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess it depends on where you live, I live in Abbotsford, my hubby just got back from  Save on  just to buy some soup , there wasn't any, and as he walked around the store there were about 200 people grabbing up the meat and other stuff. 

26 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Here’s what I’m thinking.......

the same people that have been clearing shelves are going to see this as a golden opportunity to shop before anyone else gets in there and grab what they need.

how are stores going to monitor people?  If they aren’t a senior, but they are ‘at risk’, the store can’t be asking them for proof.    
Stores need to be putting limits on items.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Using numbers that Nuckin Futz had published during the China phase of this, the number was at 1 in 36 or 37. 

I admit to switching to this WHO link    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/685d0ace521648f8a5beeeee1b9125cd    a few weeks ago, at which time their numbers were 1 in 33 ish.

As others have pointed out, some countries are hit harder due to the age and general health of their people.

But that said

1 in 24 is very scary.

Canada numbers at this link

http://www.covid-19canada.com/

703 cases

9 deaths

11 recovered

1 in 78 Canada wide

B.C.

231 cases

7 deaths

6 recovered

1 in 33.

This number, and Canada's are a bit too soon to take as a valid number as the sample size is still very small, and B.C. had an older folks hospital get hit at the beginning.

I'm just keeping an eye on the trend.

Isnt that x 1000?

Canada wide 38 million people / 708 cases = 1 per every 53,000 people aprox. 

BC Wide 5.1 million people / 231 cases = 1 per 22,000 people aprox. Most likely due to Chinese populations being higher, more trips?

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Isnt that x 1000?

Canada wide 38 million people / 708 cases = 1 per every 53,000 people aprox. 

BC Wide 5.1 million people / 231 cases = 1 per 22,000 people aprox. Most likely due to Chinese populations being higher, more trips?

I had not done the math the way you just did, but I do remember the Government saying 30-70 % of Canadians will get the virus.

So, going with 50% as a right in the middle of their guesstimate, approx. 18 million Canadians will get this.

Nowhere near that many are going to be tested or hospitalized so it is hard to extrapolate an accurate rate of mortality at this time.