The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

13 minutes ago, Toews said:

Both are counter-productive. Fear adds stress. Stress makes coping difficult leading to frustration/agitation. Compound that over months of social distancing and I am expecting we will see a sharp rise in suicides and cases of domestic violence. A measured response is appropriate, we need to reassure ourselves that while this is serious, its not the end of the world. People behave stupidly when they are gripped by fear, if you cannot see that then you are part of the problem.

For some people, this will be the end of the world.  Right now, we're trying to reduce the numbers in that and also keep it in mind.  I'm sure the loved ones of those who will perish as a result of this won't appreciate the "not the end of the world" statements.

Part of the problem is not reacting strongly, as is being suggested by "the world" at this point.  When leaders and health officials are all on the same page/side, it's usually an indicator of something serious.   

Stress is counter-productive but so is trivializing a very serious issue.

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

Both are counter-productive. Fear adds stress. Stress makes coping difficult leading to frustration/agitation. Compound that over months of social distancing and I am expecting we will see a sharp rise in suicides and cases of domestic violence. A measured response is appropriate, we need to reassure ourselves that while this is serious, its not the end of the world. People behave stupidly when they are gripped by fear, if you cannot see that then you are part of the problem.

(Earnest question for discussion, not a bait to argue)
I'm just curious, what would entail a measured response to you vs what the government is currently doing and the even more extreme measures people here (and elsewhere) are suggesting?

19 minutes ago, samurai said:

Not assuming, but I have been living through the lock down longer than anyone on here.  And been through 2 more in my life.  My comment to the women is that while the shelves are empty they will be a lot better in a short while.

Interesting all the people that upvote your comment are the same people who are pushing a 'fear narrative' for this topic. 

Italy is turning out to be an outlier for Europe and Asia.  There is fear it will surpass China in total deaths.  People on this site playing the chicken little game are fixated on Italy while not recognizing what is happening in our countries.   

You are assuming.

Give me a call when you endure 1423 day long siege.
No running water throughout the whole ordeal, out of power for 6 months at a time, no natural gas, no food, medicine.

Add about 500k projectiles dropped on your city and around 100k killed and wounded.

54 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

Public health will not test you here even if you have symptoms (and a request from a doctor) unless you are in distress.

I basically had a public health nurse give me a management plan to tell me what to look out to seek further medical attention via the ER or calling them back. 

I am asthmatic and my asthma is crazy, coughing non stop, wheezing after coughing or walking up hill or cleaning my house. Also my chest hurts so badly.

I am in quarantine now till the end of March.

This is what i heard from a guy i work with who lives downtown vancouver. Someone came to his apartment and tested him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Did Jordan Peterson tweet a recommended self isolation book list?  :P 

Haha Your onto something...:P  Im reading 12 rules right now actually. And I've glanced at the recommended book list on his website. :ph34r: 

27 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Your book list is very happy go lucky, you need some more serious books with heavier subjects.

Just trying to have a positive focus in these trying times ! 

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Gulag Archipelago? That’s some light reading. 

You've read it? Its one I've had an eye on for awhile now. 

I'm just glad I picked up the abridged version. :lol:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Nowhere did I say that Canada will

be spared.

I said Canada will have to create its own rules to deal with this problem.

The problem is just starting here.

Fair enough, my misunderstanding

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, wloutet said:

If you get really depressed about all of this, then go to Google and type in "Flash mobs". It gets you back to seeing the positives we have in this world. Mind you, you couldn't do much of a flash mob now with social distancing and stores closed. But it is a good escape.

If I start feeleing depressed I go to Google and type in "flash boobs". It gets me back to seeing positives in this world. Mind you, I can't enjoy much of an in person flashed-boob, what with social distancing and all, but it is a good escape.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

You are assuming.

Give me a call when you endure 1423 day long siege.
No running water throughout the whole ordeal, out of power for 6 months at a time, no natural gas, no food, medicine.

Add about 500k projectiles dropped on your city and around 100k killed and wounded.

Sarajevo in my heart.Dont forget concentration camps,interrogations

30 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

(Earnest question for discussion, not a bait to argue)
I'm just curious, what would entail a measured response to you vs what the government is currently doing and the even more extreme measures people here (and elsewhere) are suggesting?

I wasn't speaking in terms of what the government is doing but what we are personally doing. I have re-evaluated my position since our last conversation regarding measures that the government is taking. With the closure of the border today, I am now satisfied that our government is not putting the interest of a sub-section of the population over others. Our society only functions properly if our leaders take the appropriate measures to protect the interests of all people, not just some people. We are all going to have to deal with the economic fallout of this virus. As long as the government continued to be influenced by interests other than the health and safety of the public, I believe that I and other Canadians have every right to pursue our own self-interest with disregard to the rules set forth by a hypocritical government.

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

For some people, this will be the end of the world.  Right now, we're trying to reduce the numbers in that and also keep it in mind.  I'm sure the loved ones of those who will perish as a result of this won't appreciate the "not the end of the world" statements.

Part of the problem is not reacting strongly, as is being suggested by "the world" at this point.  When leaders and health officials are all on the same page/side, it's usually an indicator of something serious.   

Stress is counter-productive but so is trivializing a very serious issue.

I have lost loved ones as well, it wasn't the end of the world then and its not the end of the world now. I think this is the type of situation where we all know someone who is at serious risk due to this virus. It is our duty to protect our elders but at the end of the day we all have to come to terms with our own mortality and that of our loved ones, worrying solves nothing. You have dealt with far more loss than I have so I cannot put myself in your shoes. Perhaps my opinion is so because my perspective is limited compared to yours.  

Edited by Toews
Corrected tense
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'm guessing you went early in the morning around when they just opened.  Also a good idea to go then as there might be less people around (vs going after work when you might have masses of people going after the scraps that are left).

nope, around 11:30 am today. 

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

I guess it depends on where you live, I live in Abbotsford, my hubby just got back from  Save on  just to buy some soup , there wasn't any, and as he walked around the store there were about 200 people grabbing up the meat and other stuff. 

wow, maybe so. I'm in east van, maybe people are stocking up on Church's Chicken and weed instead. 

Might be worth the drive into the city, i haven't had a bad experience yet. The Superstore on Rupert and 12th has been quite civil. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Green Building said:

If I start feeleing depressed I go to Google and type in "flash boobs". It gets me back to seeing positives in this world. Mind you, I can't enjoy much of an in person flashed-boob, what with social distancing and all, but it is a good escape.

its the little things... er.. well maybe the big things... 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Haha Your onto something...:P  Im reading 12 rules right now actually. And I've glanced at the recommended book list on his website. :ph34r: 

Just trying to have a positive focus in these trying times ! 

You've read it? Its one I've had an eye on for awhile now. 

I'm just glad I picked up the abridged version. :lol:

It’s hard to read at points. Very detailed. Brutal. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Might be worth the drive into the city, i haven't had a bad experience yet. The Superstore on Rupert and 12th has been quite civil. 

FWIW, my experience at the Save-On on Cambie at 7th on Sunday wasn’t quite the same. No meat, very few canned goods, limited selection of bread, vegetables, etc. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

FWIW, my experience at the Save-On on Cambie at 7th on Sunday wasn’t quite the same. No meat, very few canned goods, limited selection of bread, vegetables, etc. 

yeah it must be store dependent. I go to that one a lot too, those lineups there are crappy at the best of times. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Guys they closed down the gyms. They took away the thing that takes me away from not watching hockey!!!

AND THE ICE RINKS ARE OUT TOO?

What a travesty. I am gonna die of boredom.

You're not going to die of boredom. It will be your inability to come up with alternate solutions to simple problems that will eventually do you in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Guys they closed down the gyms. They took away the thing that takes me away from not watching hockey!!!

AND THE ICE RINKS ARE OUT TOO?

What a travesty. I am gonna die of boredom.

Wait until the internet goes down.

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Tough new rules in AB

- no elective surgeries

- no dental procedures except emergencies

- children only allowed to visit family in hospital on a case by case basis

quick summary as I watch TV

^same here in BC to my knowledge. Dentists have been directed by their college to only perform emergency procedures. I believe the ORs are also being saved for emergencies and to keep as many ventilators available as possible

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1