The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, samurai said:

I posted on a different member - a paper and a video.    I don't call them facts either because they cannot be.   Projections and simulations (by experts) are exactly that.  

This one may be a little hard for some people, but it looks at death rates from Wuhan.  

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/lower-coronavirus-death-rate-estimates/

Again, show me the link and facts about 35,000 projected deaths in the USA over the duration of this pandemic.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Again, show me the link and facts about 35,000 projected deaths in the USA over the duration of this pandemic.

Give him time, it's hard to keep track of all the random internet articles he reads about this. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, coastal.view said:

he sent me a link

it does not say or support what he says

i have summarized that video above

No way! You're telling me he isn't speaking with actual facts and sources??  Could it be his word isn't fact? Lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

again

i am advocating people

take responsibility for responding to people

who appear to not be taking this crisis seriously

in real life

and online

we cannot leave it to our leaders in real life

we cannot leave it to the mods on here

to deal with every detail that we encounter

we are the ones who have to deal with this crisis

2, 3, 10 heads are better then 1

we are all in this together

He made an "appeal to authority' by claiming the people that made the estimate of 35,000 people           "These projections are by people who do it for a living.  "

Then provided a story with multiple estimates, done by an investment banker. Which is just about as good as asking a carpenter or cook as they work with numbers too.

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Follow one of the links that @samurai provided and you get to the actual paper (not the opinion piece) conducted by a group of authors affiliated with WHO, Harvard, etc. Sounds good. 

These authors state:

Even under more realistic assumptions about mixing informed by observed clustering of infections within households and the increasingly apparent role of superspreading events (for example, the Diamond Princess cruise ship, Chinese prisons and the church in Daegu, South Korea)5,6, at least one-quarter to one-half of the population will very likely become infected, absent drastic control measures or a vaccine. Therefore, the number of severe outcomes or deaths in the population is most strongly dependent on how ill an infected person is likely to become, and this question should be the focus of attention.

The authors also note that the death rate is lower than anticipated in ONE area, Wuhan, China. However, the death rate is still 1.4%, which is 14x higher than the common flu. 

If 25% of the United States experiences infection, then approximately 80 million people will become infected. At a death rate of 1.4%, that amounts to over 800,000 deceased. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0822-7.pdf

Edited by Down by the River
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Suggestions on how to deal with a roommate that refuses to follow the rules the Canadian Government has implemented during this crisis, and is going out to parties like there’s no tomorrow and potentially bringing Covid-19 back with him?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Follow one of the links that @samurai provided and you get to the actual paper (not the opinion piece) conducted by a group of authors affiliated with WHO, Harvard, etc. Sounds good. 

These authors state:

The authors also note that the death rate is lower than anticipated in ONE area, Wuhan, China. However, the death rate is still 1.4%, which is 14x higher than the common flu. 

If 25% of the United States experiences infection, then approximately 80 million people will become infected. At a death rate of 1.4%, that amounts to over 800,000 deceased. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0822-7.pdf

And here's the thing with these predictions: they're still only predictions. We do not yet know if this virus stays with us or if we can build immunity like we can with others, if our lungs have long term damage, if it will mutate and get even worse, etc etc. Yet, @samurai continues to downplay everything like the world is overreacting. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Suggestions on how to deal with a roommate that refuses to follow the rules the Canadian Government has implemented during this crisis, and is going out to parties like there’s no tomorrow and potentially bringing Covid-19 back with him?

Just before your roommate goes out to a party, you start wheezing and coughing and say you think you might be coming down with someting. See if he comes back home.

• Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Call the police on the parties. There are fines now for those who break the rules, no?

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Bleach cocktail

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, brilac said:

Governor Jay Inslee has issued a Stay-at-Home order for WA State!  Finally!

thanks for the update

i knew he was going to do a tv announcement at 5:30

but got distracted with something on here

and missed that

i hope you are well

and safe

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Global News just broke that a North Vanc dentist who attended the conference has died.

This is so sad, and very worrisome. Dental offices are the highest risk professions for transmission due to all the aerosols in a dental practice. It can make the virus airborne and for a long time. Although proper infection control should be practiced, many offices are complacent. A lot of dentists and hygienists go to the PDC, so to know that many contracted it and then went back to their practices for a few weeks without knowing is very scary.

Edited by Jester13
  • Huggy Bear 1